"Where were you in '92?"Knox Nineties Pretty Cure
is a fanfic by Ryanasaurus0077
set in Knoxville, Tennessee, in the year 1992, a year significant not only to the author but also to the Magical Girl
community (as a very important anime to the Magical Girl
genre debuted that year).
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Actor Allusion: Emma Watson previously portrayed a Dixie-accented high school girl (albeit in Pittsburgh instead of Knoxville) in The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
- Cool Car: Olivia's Renault 5 coupe, after she gets her driver's license.
- Fake American: Emma Watson as Olivia.
- Shout-Out: The tagline itself is a throwback to George Lucas.
- Stealth Pun: Jamie's parents drive a 1984 Mercury Topaz. Guess who she shares some of her own traits with?
- Three-Dimensional Episode: All of them.
- Tights Under Shorts: Olivia pays direct homage to The Dukes of Hazzard in this manner. The tights change color in Cure form, but this getup is otherwise carried over to said Cure form unaltered.
- Twenty Minutes into the Past: The series is set in 1992, the year an unassuming ditz took the Magical Girl genre by storm and became a household name to fans of the genre. Other references to the setting include the Cineplex Odeon Commons 6, the local PBS "satellite station to WSJK that showed up a year and a half ago", mention of Beauty and the Beast being nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars, the Wayne's World movie playing in the city's cinemas early in the series, the maiden voyage of the Space Shuttle Endeavor, the World's Fair in Genoa, Hurricane Andrew, the Barcelona Olympics, the introduction of female priests into the Episcopal religion, the closing of Folies Bergère in France, the absolution of Galileo Galilei, the end of the Soviet era, and Olivia buying a modified 1984 Renault 5 coupe after getting her driver's license, not to mention how her parents drive a 1990 Ford Mustang and a 1980 Pontiac Sunbird.