Fanfic: King Superman
King Superman is the official title for a series of Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas fanfics. The so far three stories all feature an idiot or plain-old psychopath milling around either the Capital Wasteland or the Mojave, leaving behind a path of throwbacks to the games, canon characters in new situations, and a subtle critique to the actions of players with "Evil" karma. Also, bodies.
The series consists of the following stories:
- Call Me King Superman: The first story of the series. Also, the only story so far to feature Fallout 3 as a setting, and an angry gypsy as a framing device (it makes sense in context). A gamer is sent into the world of Fallout 3, and exposes both his lack of skill in combat, and his possible homophobia.
- Not Playing With A Full Caravan Deck: The first story to be set in the universe of 'New Vegas'. Vault 28 resident Craig is evicted from his home for destroying the Vault water chip. For reasons that may not be clear even to him, he decides to head to the east to find adventure. Needless to say, it does not end well.
- The Courier Who Had Cheated Death: The first story to abandon the framing device of the protagonist's journal. A museum curator tells the story of a murderous courier to a young adventurer.
This series provides examples of:
- Ax-Crazy: Every single main character.
- Buffy Speak: Both the protagonists and the author use the phrase "scorpiony", among others.
- Dirty Coward: The main characters are invariably this.
- Firing One-Handed: Combined with Gangsta Style, this manages to get King Superman beaten half to death by Super Mutants.
- Non-Indicative First Episode: While containing many elements of later stories, the first story doesn't take place entirely in the Fallout universe, and the protagonist doesn't actually belong there, unlike later "real" characters who weren't transplanted into the Fallout world from the real world.
- Shout-Out: The Courier Who Had Cheated Death makes a three loud clanging sounds (in the middle of a stealth mission), and derides his companion for not finishing with "went the trolley" (she had instead shouted 'what the fuck is wrong with you?!').
- The title of the first story makes reference to Action Comics #311◊.
- Unreliable Narrator: Played straight in Call Me King Superman and Not Playing With A Full Caravan Deck. The protagonists repeatedly insist that perfectly reasonable persons/robots are being completely unreasonable and out to get him (ie. Craig has nothing but contempt and hatred for the Securitron guarding the Las Vegas Strip, which refused to let him in on account of his shoes made of blood-soaked newspaper). This becomes ridiculous when the nameless gypsy victim of the first story uses the word 'bravely' when describing himself sending children to their deaths to buy himself enough time to steal alcohol.
- Averted in The Courier Who Had Cheated Death. Despite the museum curator being the courier described previously as a manipulative, lying bastard, there's no reason to believe he lies at all telling the story to the adventurer except for, of course, the 'dummies'.
- Villain Protagonist: And how.