Fan Fic / King Koopa Katastrophe Spoof
King Koopa Katastrophe Spoof
and King Koopa Katastrophe Spoof 2
are two Super Mario Bros.
fanfics written by Nintendomaximus, alias Froggo Fan 64
. It is duology of parodic fanfic adaptations based on episodes of The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3
The general plot, as given in the introductions of both spoofs: Bowser Koopa has escaped from the Banishment Zone that, according to the cartoon's series bible
, he had apparently been trapped in, and this time, he has enlisted the help of his
eight bratty children, the Koopalings (and Bowser Jr.
). As always, it is up to Mario (and Luigi) to keep the Mushroom Kingdom, and occasionally the real world
, safe from Bowser's evil. But considering how much weird stuff happens in the cartoon being parodied here, coupled with Bowser never thinking his plans through, does Mario need
to defeat him, or will he end up just defeating himself?
The fics' title comes from an early DVD release containing six episodes of the cartoon in question. King Koopa Katastrophe
was the second single-disc DVD release of the Mario cartoons, and Maximus had previously done a parody fic depicting Hilarious Outtakes
based on the first Mario cartoon DVD. He decided to do a similar fic based on the King Koopa Katastrophe
DVD as a follow-up, but since Fanfiction.net no longer allowed "blooper fanfics", he decided to write a full-length spoof of all six episodes featured on the DVD. The first Spoof
was written within the span of a year following Maximus picking up the DVD. But the following year, he found out there were two similar DVDs of the show, available only in Europe (this was before Shout! Factory released the whole series on DVD in the US), and thus Maximus was inspired to make a sequel. King Koopa Katastrophe Spoof 2
, as he came to call it (for lack of a better name), had its first chapter published in May 2005 and ended in April 2008.
Currently, Maximus has no plans to do a third Spoof
covering the remaining eight Adventures of SMB3
episodes not already parodied here.
Tropes present in the two fics include:
- Accidental Misnaming:
- Whenever Wendy tells Bowser about her loss to Teamo, he responds by saying he doesn't want to hear about them and mispronounces their name each time.
- Additionally, in "Kootie Pie Rocks", he constantly mispronounces Milli Vanilli's name as well. This itself is an extension of a brief gag in the actual episode.
- Ludwig does not particularly like being named "Kooky", as he believes it is a girl's name.
- And like in the Mario & Luigi games, Bowser (and the Koopalings) can't remember Luigi's name.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Bowser turning his kids into giant ninjas, of course.
- Author Appeal: The fic pays lip-service to a number of pairings (Mario references Zim and Gaz's wedding for example), fan theories (Giovanni being Ash's father) and takes pot shots at Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, among others (see Take That).
- Big "NO!": Toad's reaction to Mario having to wash his mouth for his "naughty-waughty potty talk".
- Butt Monkey: Larry in "Princess Toadstool for President".
- The Cameo: Lots of them.
- Cutaway Gag: A few of these pop up in Spoof 2.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Wendy does not like being addressed as "Kootie Pie".
- Duck Season, Rabbit Season
- Everybody Laughs Ending: Averted by Mario telling his comrades to not do this in Spoof 1, Chapter 2. Played straight when Mario and Luigi start bickering at the end of the next chaper.
- Evil Versus Evil: A bunch of other video game cartoon villains (including Ganon, Giovanni, K. Rool, Nightmare, Dr. Robotnik, Evil the Cat, Mezmoran, the Shadow Master, the Dark Queen, Dr. Wily, Mother Brain, and M. Bison) fight Bowser for the Plotdevice Wand.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Luigi has a moment of this in Spoof 2 Chapter 4.
- Idiot Ball: Just like in the show, of course. As Mario notes when the cartoon's noted What an Idiot moment comes up:
Mario: Oh no! It's King Koopa's Doomship! Quick, let's stand here like idiots and hope that the guns don't hit us!
- Legion of Doom: Continuing a gag from Maximus's SMBSS Outtakes, Bowser is a member of the Loyal Brotherhood of Tomato Sauce Vampires, which also consists of Ganon, Giovanni, K. Rool, King Dedede, and Pokey Minch.
- Long List: Bowser says he has a lot of animal transformation wands. So many that he puts most of his audience to sleep listing them.
- MacGuffin: The wand from "A Toadally Magical Adventure", named the Plotdevice Wand here.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover: Although this is a Mario fanfic through and through, it doesn't stop characters from other cartoons from making brief appearances. Among them:
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: Toad gets treated as this sometimes. Example:
Mario: Scared or not, I must rescue the Princess again! And my brother! Toad I don't care about, but I gotta do something to save them!
- Only Sane Man:
- Contrary to how he is in the games, Bowser Jr. is often the only member of the Koopa Kids to point out any plot holes in Bowser's plans. However, the fact that he is The Scrappy in the Mario fandom also results in no one taking his word.
- Also, in the "Reign Storm" parody, Toadette is the only one to see through the Peach robot, but Mario and Luigi won't listen to her.
- Porky Pig Pronunciation: The Peach robot has a stuttering problem that the Mario Bros. somehow fail to notice.
- Running Gag: Bowser refuses to believe Wendy telling him about her loss to Teamo.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Mario gets so annoyed at the people of Mertropolis being apparently afraid of the water that leaks through their dome after Bowser blows open a hole in it.
- Shipper on Deck: Mario tends to tease the commonly-shipped cartoon characters when they Cross Through. When Wario does it with Kim & Ron, Mario yells out, "That's my line, you stealer!"
- Take That: Ranging from delusional fangirls to Fred Fredburger to Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. The "Foster's Home" example is noteworthy as happens almost once per chapter.
- That's All, Folks!: Yakko, Wakko and Dot giving a Wheel of Morality segment at the end of Spoof 1, and the Histerians giving their closing bit in Spoof 2.
- There Was a Door: The Sneaky Giant Ninja Koopas break through Bowser's wall twice because there actually isn't a door they can fit through.
- Vague Age: Although Wendy is stated to be 16, the other characters have a hard time believing it.
- Welcome to the Real World: Like the actual show, of course. Unlike in the cartoon, though, some people do recognize the cast as video game characters, and in the case of those who don't, it gets lampshaded.
Just tell King Daddyins what ya'd really like for your birthday. Wendy: Amewica
But sweetums! America's in the real world! To the people living there, we're just characters in a video game! They'll never believe that they're bein' taken over by characters they see on their Nintendo Entertainment System
. They'll just think it's some kind of publicity stunt."
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The fate of the three human boys whom Bowser turned to stone in the first episode is never brought up in the actual show, but here it gets lampshaded: