TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Fan Fic: Just The Best Mary Sue Ever
JUST THE BEST MARY SUE, EVER!
is what happens when one fanfic
author decides to create the most outrageous Mary Sue
Not long after the events of the film version of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
, the surviving League members await the arrival of their new member. They're not sure exactly why they're getting
a new member, but they're all blown away by her. Her name is Fellauroralisterinavetta Aanjulle O'Bamfwryter (hereafter called Fellaurora for the sake of brevity), and she is impossibly beautiful and kind, with various mental powers and many different talents. All of the men, except for Captain Nemo, fall instantly in love with her and spend the rest of the story fighting for the right to snuggle with her.
In case it's not glaringly obvious, this is a parody. Specifically, it's a brilliant Take That
against the legion of Mary Sue
authors in the LXG fandom.
The author, Bamfwriter
, was inspired by the LXG Mary Sue
Litmus Test (which was posted on GeoCities and is no longer accessible). Literally, she set out to create a character about whom she could answer "yes" to every single possible question on the test. The result is mind-meltingly funny. (This page contains spoilers
for the LXG
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Aroused by Their Voice: Fellaurora's voice enchants the men, and her delicate sighs turn them on.
- Back from the Dead: Quatermain, very briefly.
- Bold Inflation: The title, by the author's decree.
- Buffy Speak: The description of Nemo's attire.
Nemo was wearing an Indian garb and a tuba... turbo... turbine... turpentine... wrappy hat-thing on his head.
- Completely Missing the Point: Several readers managed to somehow overlook the multiple notes explaining that this was a parody, and complained in their reviews that the author had created a Mary Sue.
- Dark and Troubled Past: And she goes into it at length, encouraged by Nemo.
Nemo: Please tell us everything about your past, no matter how difficult or improper it is for you, in this era, to be so personal with people, especially men, that you barely know.
- Dark Secret: Each of the League members admits his or hers to Fellaurora within about five minutes of meeting her. Sawyer is gay, Mina is a vegetarian, Nemo is a Jehovah's Witness, and Skinner...really liked Gigli.
- Did Not Do the Bloody Research: Spoofed up, down, and sideways with the ridiculous phonetic spelling of Skinner's Cockney accent.
- Everybody Has Lots of Sex: Oh yeah. Including a five-way encounter (thankfully not described) between Fellaurora, Jekyll, Skinner, Dorian, and Sawyer.
- Fanservice/Ho Yay: Dorian was with Fellaurora prior to the events of the story, but dumped her for Captain Jack Sparrow. The fanservice part comes in the form of a flashback, which is a Yaoi Fangirl's dream.
- Green Eyes: One of Fellaurora's eyes is green, with a faint vein of red running through it.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Mina hates Fellaurora for sleeping with all the guys except Nemo. But Nemo is the one Mina herself sleeps with, and she shows no interest in the other men; she's just mean for the sake of being mean. And so Jekyll has an excuse for comfort-induced sex.
- Harry Potter: Believe it or not, he shows up in the last chapter.
- Heroes Want Redheads: They all want Fellaurora, whose hair is "copper-colored."
- Heroic Sacrifice: Because she is, after all, Too Good for This Sinful Earth. All the men fight over who gets to hold her in his arms as she expires.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Skinner falls into the ocean and makes a quip about skinny-dipping (because he's an Invisible Streaker). This was taken directly from the litmus test.
- Literal Genie: The League as a group makes Quatermain drop dead by reminding him that he's not in Africa.
- Mary Sue: Of course. Specifically, Parody Sue, with generous helpings of Mary Tzu, Relationship Sue, Sympathetic Sue, and Purity Sue.
- Meaningful Name/Overly Long Name: It's not stated what Fellaurora's birth name was. She created her current name out of a jumble of syllables to remind her of the tragic deaths of her parents, grandmother, and sister.
- Mindlink Mates: Although he's not physically present in the story, Fellaurora has telepathic conversations with Hyde; she also does it once with Skinner.
- Nephewism: The main reason Nemo doesn't want to sleep with Fellaurora is because she is, apparently, his niece.
- Nice Hat: Fellaurora wears a tiny one which clings to her head "as if out of love."
- Perverse Sexual Lust: Upon learning about Fellaurora's shapeshifting ability (see below), Jekyll is amazed to find that it turns him on.
- Playing the Heart Strings: For the funeral scene, Fellaurora plays a violin and sings in a voice of "angelic beauty." At the same time, which probably is technically not possible, but everyone is utterly entranced by her talent.
- Psychic Powers: Fellaurora "just knows things."
- Purple Eyes: One of Fellaurora's eyes is purple. It's because of this eye that she can read minds.
- Purple Prose: Especially during the physical descriptions of Fellaurora, though sometimes the extravagant metaphors get hijacked by weird ones. For instance, the author talks about how her skin is whiter than Devonshire cream, eggshells, and Larry Bird.
- Running Gag: Dorian coming back from the grave.
"I thought you were dead?"
"Yeah, I get that a lot."
- Also, the multiple misspellings of Jekyll's last name, done deliberately to mock those fanfic authors who can't seem to get it right.
- Shapeshifting: Fellaurora can transform into a dachsund. Jekyll can transform into Britney Spears.
- Shout-Out: To Star Wars, of all things. Lampshaded by Hyde.
- Smoking Hot Sex: Every single character has a cigarette the morning after.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: The first one and a half chapters are dedicated to describing every aspect of Fellaurora's impossible beauty, including Costume Porn.
- Technicolor Eyes: As noted, her eyes are normally one purple, one green. But when she's angry, they change color — one turns magenta plaid, and the other fluorescent chartreuse.
- Telekinesis: Fellaurora sends a statue flying across the room with her mind.
- Verbal Tic: Sawyer has a ridiculously overdone Southern accent, which even Fellaurora finds confusing "because he didn't have one in the movie."
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Sawyer gets misty-eyed at the sight of Fellaurora's perfect pearl-like teeth, which bring back memories of the pearls he wore in the drag show he used to do with Huck Finn back home.