"No matter what you do, no matter who you become, you're still my sister. And I'm always going to protect you, to forgive you, because that's exactly what you did for me."Hunger is a [PROTOTYPE] fanfic written by Fanfiction.net user TheWunn.The work's two main characters are the game's protagonist, Alex Mercer, and his sister, Dana. Other characters include Bradley Ragland, a doctor who Alex has some history with, an unnamed sexist businessman, the Infected Hive Mind, and Blackwatch's new General, who is later revealed as the Not Quite Dead Specialist Cross. When Alex learns that Dana is likely to die due to rapid cellular degeneration, he and Ragland infect her with a modified version of his own strain of the Blacklight virus. The story follows Dana's change from a scared young woman into a fully-fledged killing machine, with a large pile of corpses in between.There is now a sequel in the works, currently alternating on-and-off hiatus.Not to be confused with the 2008 movie of the same name.
—-Alex Mercer, caring about someone for once.
This work provides examples of:
- Affably Evil: When Alex and Dana meet up with Cross, he seems to view Alex as a valuable ally, and sees Dana as genuinely attractive. Then he gets out the rapid-fire grenade launcher.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Alex's preferred weapon. Later in the fic, Dana gets a thinner, lighter, sharper version.
- Beige Prose
- Big Damn Heroes: The Infected manage to pull this off. Although slightly subverted in that they immediately attack Dana afterward.
- Bond One-Liner:Dana: I've always been a bit of a heartbreaker
- Buffy Speak: From Dana:Dana: Okay, I can do this. Just shift that guy's...stuff into my legs.
- Horror Hunger: The craving for biomass is what motivates Dana to commit her first murder.
- How Do I Shot Web?: Dana, at first.
- Moral Myopia: Wilson in the sequel has this in spades. He calls Alex out on his actions throughout the series, only to turn around and do the exact same thing. Though it is shown that he is growing increasingly unhinged as he realises the high that his abilities give him.
- Idiot Ball: Dana picks it up in a fight with her brother, when she turns and walks away after only destroying the heart of her opponent.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Well duh, this is a [PROTOTYPE] fanfiction, what did you expect?
- Katanas Are Just Better: Stated verbatim by Dana when she sees her new blade.
- Knight Templar Big Brother / My Sister Is Off-Limits!: At one point in the sequel, a horny guy tries to come on to Dana. When he ends up using force, Alex decapitates him.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: Quoted verbatim by Dana.
- Nuclear Option:Blackwatch Computer: ''RECOMMENDED ENGAGEMENT METHOD: Tactical nuclear strike. Multiple, if possible.
- Oh, Crap!:"When the hydras and Leaders arrived in dozens, however, Dana realised that she and Alex were, to use the proper term, well and truly f***ed."
- Person of Mass Destruction: Alex and Dana (Once she overcomes the shock of her powers).
- Shout-Out: One soldier runs ahead of his squad screaming his name. Dana guts him instantly.
- Writing by the Seat of Your Pants: Explicitly stated in one of the sequel's author's notes.TheWunn: There may be some posting delays, as I am literally making this up as I go along. It seemed to work for the last one.