Heroes and Villains
is a Buffy the Vampire Slayer
fanfic that retells Buffy's arrival and subsequent early adventures in Sunnydale, but it does so by conflating the Buffyverse with that of the X-Men. When Buffy, who is herself a mutant whose powers have recently manifested, is kicked out of her old high school, her mother enrolls her in a brand new school that caters to students who are 'gifted'. In this version of Sunnydale High, EVERYONE is a mutant. Buffy tries to adapt to this new situation, even as various evil forces are preparing to descend upon the unsuspecting town.One aspect of the story that stands out is the portrayal of Buffy as an unapologetically selfish, snarky, bitchy and self-absorbed character, to the point where she's very nearly a Villain Protagonist
. Some readers hate that aspect of the story, others love it.
The story can be read on the author's page at Twisting the Hellmouth
- Butt Monkey: Thanks to Faith's tireless efforts, Xander's High School experience promises to be rather... painful.
- Creepy Twins: There are at least one set of them at the school — a pair of pint-sized powerhouses who often speak in unision and seem able to hold conversations by staring into each other's eyes.
- Dark Action Girl: Faith.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Faith, by Buffy, and Buffy, by Faith (though she initially tries to hide it).
- Expy: Faith has powers (and hair!) that are very similar to Psylocke, Buffy manages to be an expy of herself. Other female students have shown powers similar to Madrox the Multiple Man and Vertigo. A male student named 'Tank' can transform himself into an oversized metal man, echoing Colossus.
- Functional Magic: Willow's power set, though actually an oddly flexible mutant power, is effectively this.
- Girly Bruiser: Buffy definitely spends a lot of time and effort to look her best. (Though to be fair, Season One Buffy was much girlier and concerned with appearances than she was in later seasons).
- Faith gently mocks Buffy for having whole items of luggage just to carry makeup items, and Nineteen different haircare products (she counted).
- On the 'Bruiser' side of things, Buffy defeats a student with powerful Energy Projection abilities, and barely breaks a sweat.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Faith, as usual.
- Immortality Hurts: Xander's power is to recover from any injury, and he starts the story feeling pretty darn cocky about it. Faith takes great pleasure in demonstrating to him that just because you can't die, that doesn't mean you can't be beaten, frequently, or hurt, badly.
- Jerkass: Buffy and Faith. They know it, too.
- Knife Nut: Faith loves knives, and her mutant powers include the ability to manifest glowing copies of her favorite knife that can cut through anything.
- Les Yay: Faith for Buffy, IMMEDIATELY. It takes Buffy a while to work through her reluctance to the idea, but she gets there eventually and returns Faith's feelings.
- Really Gets Around: Faith, apparently, even after she is deeply smitten with Buffy.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Faith and Buffy, respectively.
- Twincest: Twin mutants Miranda and Marinda are obviously fans of this.
- Although after Buffy does them a huge favor, they seem to be considering trying something new, by upping the number of participants from two to three....