by Rap541, is a fanfic crossing the reimagined Battlestar Galactica
and Star Trek: The Next Generation
, in which Felix Gaeta turns out to be a Starfleet officer stranded in the Twelve Colonies by an experiment gone wrong ten years ago, forced to blend in in order to uphold the Prime Directive, and has been quietly directing the Rag-Tag Fleet towards the Federation. When the RTF stumbles onto the Enterprise-D, his secret is revealed, and things get interesting...especially when it's revealed that Felix's grandfather was the god Apollo (as depicted in an episode of the original Trek
series (the episode "Who Mourns For Adonis?", specifically)). Features Culture Clash
, politics, action, romance, and Felix dealing with the consequences of going native
Has a sequel, Going Forward
, which remains ongoing as of late November 2011, and actually went and updated in September of 2013. Set several years after the initial fic, it features the Galactica
characters finding their new lives in the Federation disrupted by the ourbreak of the Dominion War.
Note: Like many fans, Rap541 disliked the revelations of Galactica
's third season finale, and declared that they would be ignored, instead producing an alternate solution to the mystery of the Final Five. However, recent chapters of the sequel suggest that these ideas may be used after all.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: The call-sign Kara bestows on Barclay, "Mad Dog", is an oblique reference to the fact that Barclay's actor had previously played "Howling Mad" Murdock on The A-Team.
- And Then What?: Gaeta tells Picard in their one-to-one that he thinks the Cylons have no idea what to do after they manage to destroy humanity.
- Babies Ever After: In the sequel, it's explicitly noted that many of the Galactica characters now have offspring.
- Justified by the very nature of the situation the characters are in- they're the last of their people... if they want to have a future as a society (and not just be swallowed up by the Federation) they need to (to quote President Roslin) "Start Having Babies."
- Beware the Nice Ones: Felix, normally so polite, easily defeats Starbuck when the latter tries to kill him.
- Came Back Wrong: The Cylons on the Basestars destroyed by the Enterprise's photon torpedoes aren't downloading right.
- Curbstomp Battle: The Enterprise VS three Basestars, Data VS a Centurion.
- Deleted Scene: A few chapters depicting the inital meeting between the Enterprise and the Galactica are appended to the first fic.
- Dramatic Irony: "Could you prove you're from Earth and not… And not Apollo's child sent to save us?"
- "Sharon and I had a bet that you were really a Cylon. ... I defended you… I said hey, he's probably just from Earth, that explains the weirdness..."
- Fantastic Racism: The Federation's lingering anti-Augment sentiment is a minor plot point.
- Going Native: Obviously.
- Half-Human Hybrids: Felix and his sisters (well, technically, they're three-quarters human hybrids), as descendants of a Physical God. As is Kara Thrace
- In Medias Res: The story begins with Felix aboard the Enterprise, having a therapy session with Troi.
- Mama Bear: Felix's older sister Sophia roughs Kara up for mistreating Felix and warns her against doing so again.
- Meaningful Echo: "Sometimes you have to roll a hard six, sir."
- OOC Is Serious Business: When Reg Barclay corrects someone, Starbuck notes that this is OOC and the person getting corrected is saying something sensitive.
- Later on it is noted that Starbuck doesn't like admitting mistakes after she does just that.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Lwaxana plays this card even more than usual when she speaks with Baltar.
- Odd Friendship: To the suprise of everyone, Starbuck and Reg Barclay get along splendidly. While less remarked on, Doc Cottle gets along great with the Vulcan Dr. T'Kil.
- Prophecy Twist: According to the Scrolls of Apollo, the son of Apollo may be either a savior or a destroyer; most Colonials consider Felix the former, but Starbuck spends most of the story convinved he's the latter.
- Really Thirty-Two Years Old: "Good genes" from Apollo mean that Felix looks half a decade younger than his actual age. Meanwhile, his 63-year old sister Sofia appears to be in her thirties, and his 100+ mother looks to be 45.
- Running Gag: Felix being thought to be a Cylon.
- Shout-Out: The Starfleet crewman who lets slip Felix's heritage while drunk is named Tex Jarman.
- Single Issue Psychology: Averted. Felix has a vast array of neruoses from a vast array of sources.
- Take That: there are a few towards Battlestar Galactica, such as the nepotism that Adama shows or how the Colonials are more violent than starfleet... but for the most part, these are very minor things, and most of them are done from the perspective of a very pacifistic, aethiestic society- the Federation. For the most part, the Federation shows great respect for the Colonials and their troubles, and especially their endurance.
- Technopath: Felix, as a consequence of his alien descent.
- Tomato in the Mirror: the bioCylons are human, and the Centurions have always been running the show.