Fanfic / For Want Of A Relic
For Want Of A Relic
is a Fate/Zero Fan Fic
posted on Archive of Our Own
Like the title implies, it is a For Want of a Nail
story. The "nail" in question being that Waver steals a different relic delivered for the Holy Grail War from Kayneth. Instead of Iskander, Waver summons Diarmuid. The fic focuses primarily on the relationship between the young student and the Celtic knight.
However, that is not the only thing that is different in this Grail War. All
of the Servants are switched around, making things even more unpredictable.
For Want Of A Relic contains examples of:
- Adorkable: Waver, but even Lancer has his moments.
- And I Must Scream: Kariya, who was unlucky enough to have summoned Caster, is found by Waver and Lancer in a half-dead state. Lancer notes that Caster vivisected him alive (because of Kariya's Crest worms), then healed him and left him, barely, but still conscious. A disgusted Lancer gives him a Mercy Kill.
- Bridal Carry: Apparently the most efficient way for Lancer and Waver to travel. Waver only really seems to mind the altitude.
- Cooldown Hug: Lancer gives one to Waver shortly after they found Caster's "workshop". It is described as rather awkward.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Waver's parents are dead before the story begins and have been dead for years, which left him in the care of an uncle.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Lancer refuses to call himself a "hero" and generally has a pretty low opinion of himself on most things. Waver, being confused and frustrated about this, tries to snap him out of it.
- Mercy Kill: Lancer gives one to the half-dead, but still conscious Kariya.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Lancer. It annoys and freaks Waver out a little.
- Pride: Gilgamesh, of course. Irisviel uses this to her advantage to talk him into avoiding a fight with Berserker and letting Kiritsugu and Maiya take care of him, by suggesting it would be "beneath him".
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Lancer gives a short, but effective, one to Kayneth.
Lancer: It is remarkable, how this world has changed. Even shadows can speak and think themselves worth notice now. For surely none who calls themselves superior would hide within the dark like a coward, would they?
- They Call Him "Sword": A given considering the series, but to date even Waver doesn't know Lancer's real name.
- Serial Killer: Ryuunosuke Uryuu is hinted at being even more effective than in canon. It's heavily implied that he uses Assassin for randomly killing people all over Fuyuki City.
- Caster remains one. As evidenced by his workshop where Lancer and Waver discover the remains of his handiwork along with his half-dead Master.
- Tranquil Fury: Lancer, when he sees the nightmare that is Caster's workshop.
- Tsundere: Waver. Especially at the beginning, but he slowly warms up to his Servant.
- Would Hurt a Child: Caster and presumably Ryuunosuke, as in line with canon. Waver notes that, upon discovering Caster's workshop, that none of the bodies that he can identify look older than ten.