Fan Fic / Final Fantasy VII Another Side
Final Fantasy VII: Another Side
is an AU fanfiction by Mystwalker, an alternate retelling of Final Fantasy VII
that combines elements from Crisis Core
, Before Crisis
, and Dirge of Cerberus
. The premise behind the fic is an Alternate Continuity
where Genesis causes the Nibelheim Incident instead of Sephiroth. It starts off following the same track as the game, but begins to diverge towards the end of the Midgar Arc.
The author stated that this story will be a Trilogy, each installment being equivalent to a Disc like the original FFVII. The first story(found here
) is complete, and the second story(called Final Fantasy VII: Another Story
) is currently ongoing.
Pairings include: Aerith x Zack, Cloud x Tifa, and Sephiroth x Cissnei.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Action Film, Quiet Drama Scene: Lots of them. One especially notable one is when Cissnei tells Sephiroth about her past in File 024 part 3. She also reveals her real name: Rekka. This is also the intended point of the Interludes.
- Action Girl: Cissnei, Tifa, Aerith, and Yuffie.
- Adorkable: Zack and Cloud both have their moments.
- Amazingly, Sephiroth of all people has a moment of this when he tries to compliment Cissnei.
- Adult Fear: Marlene winds up kidnapped, and there's very little her father can do about it.
- Almost Kiss: Occurs between Cloud and Tifa at the Gold Saucer. That is until the gondola ruins it.
- And Then What?: Discussed. Cloud and Tifa wonder what they're going to do after defeating Jenova.
- Archnemesis Dad: Hojo to Sephiroth.
- Armor-Piercing Question
Aerith: I think he really wants the both of you—no, you to find peace.
Sephiroth: I am at peace.
Aerith: Are you really?
- Ascended Extra: Kunsel, who was more or less an offscreen character from Crisis Core.
- The Atoner: Sephiroth.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Apparently Cloud, while Disguised in Drag. Don Corneo picks him over Aerith and Tifa.
- Badass: Everyone in the main party of course, but Zack and Sephiroth stand out. Cloud is slowly getting to their level.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Invoked a few times, including once between Cloud and Tifa, and another time with Sephiroth and Cloud.
- Badass Crew: Does it really need to be said? Avalanche is probably even more Badass than in canon due to Sephiroth and Zack being on the team.
- Badass Normal: Anyone who isn't a soldier or an Ancient.
- Battle Couple: Happens a lot. Aerith and Zack fight together as long as they're in the same group. Sephiroth and Cissnei had their moment before Cissnei was shot by Nero, and Cloud and Tifa in the Corel Mountains.
- Berserk Button: Do not taunt Sephiroth about Jenova. Just don't. Also, don't mess with his hair.
- Also, hurting Aerith, or just about anyone close to Zack, will send him into Unstoppable Rage.
- Beta Couple: Aerith and Zack, to basically everyone else. At this point in the story, they're the only couple officially together, and while they have their issues, everyone else has worse.
- BFS: This is Final Fantasy VII after all.
- Big Damn Heroes: Sephiroth and Cissnei are this to Zack at the beginning.
- Big Damn Kiss: Zack and Aerith. After 39 chapters. As one reviewer puts it: "About damn time".
- Breather Episode: Pretty much the whole point of the Interlude chapters.
- Broken Ace: Zack, although he tries really hard not to show it. Sephiroth shows signs of this too.
- Broken Bird: Cissnei's lines in her chapter of Interlude 001 imply that she is this.
- Butt Monkey: Poor Cloud tends to be the butt of his friends' jokes, especially early on.
- Byronic Hero: Sephiroth.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Cloud suffers from this, especially with Tifa.
- Charge-into-Combat Cut: Since the story has an Ensemble Cast and often invokes Two Lines, No Waiting, this happens all the time.
- Child Soldier: Sephiroth, of course, but also Cissnei.
- Combat Pragmatist: As a Weak, but Skilled professional assassin/saboteur, Cissnei's fighting style is usually whatever it takes to win. Yuffie's fighting style has shades of this as well.
- The Comically Serious: Sephiroth.
- Commitment Issues: Cissnei is pretty much a textbook case. In a conversation with Tifa, she admits to having flings in the past but never feeling comfortable enough to enter into a serious relationship. She has admitted to rejecting Zack because she thought she might feel to strongly for him and it's heavily hinted that a one-night stand with one of her former Turk partners somehow caused her to break off the partnership. This is especially apparent in Interlude 005 when she literally runs away from a potential Relationship Upgrade.
- Consummate Professional: Cissnei, up until Sector 7. Then It's Personal.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: The group doesn't immediately notice it because of how she acts, but Yuffie is a Ninja and a Badass Princess for a reason.
- Disc One Final Boss: Jenova dies at the end of Another Side, with the next "disc", as the author puts it, still on the way.
- Disguised in Drag: Poor Cloud has to go through this when infiltrating the Honey Bee.
- Door Stopper
- Dysfunction Junction: Just about everyone has their problems, as in canon.
- Emotionless Girl: Cissnei was one when she was younger. Nowadays she's more a Sugar and Ice Personality.
- Empty Eyes: In-universe. Shion says that Cissnei had them when she was younger.
"It wasn't right. No fourteen-year-old should have such empty eyes."
- Shelke apparently has them, too.
- Ensemble Cast
- Everyone Can See It: The entire group can tell that Sephiroth has feelings for Cissnei, and vice versa. Heck, even the bad guys can see it.
- Evil Former Friend: Genesis to Sephiroth.
- Extraordinarily Empowered Girl: Blair.
- Four-Star Badass: Sephiroth did used to be a general, and is even called general a few times by the rest of the group.
- Friend to All Children: Zack. As the author puts it:
"Well, Zack's a puppy. Kids love puppies, so naturally kids love Zack."
- Frying Pan of Doom: Sephiroth is saved from having to kill a little boy by one of these.
- Fuuma Shuriken: Cissnei and Yuffie's Weapon of Choice.
- Get A Hold Of Yourself Man: Employed by Zack, when Jenova tries to drive Sephiroth insane in the Shinra Building. Sephiroth is grateful, but not amused.
- Good Is Not Nice: Sephiroth is one of the good guys, but he's also cool, and aloof, and is overall the least friendly member of the group.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Sephiroth.
- Hero-Worshipper: Since he never went evil in this universe, Cloud is free to express how much he admires and respects Sephiroth. Though he doesn't.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Kunsel.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Cloud, oh so much. He never acknowledges anything good he does, focuses exclusively on the times he's failed to be good enough, and wonders whether there's really room for him in the True Companions.
- Hidden Weapons: Cissnei tries to keep some on her person at times, in case her shuriken doesn't come straight back.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Aerith's biggest character flaw is her desire to be a regular person and her insecurity at being the Last of Her Kind.
- I Will Show You X: Sephiroth gets angry at Yuffie for putting something in his shampoo that turns his hair pink. She claims that hurting her will cause an international incident. Sephiroth retorts: "I'll show you an international incident."
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Genesis, to Sephiroth. The fact that he uses a Flaming Sword doesn't help.
- Also done by Weiss to Tseng in Temple of Tears. With two swords this time.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Sephiroth.
- The Lancer: Zack.
- The Leader: Sephiroth again.
- Let's Split Up, Gang: Invoked three times, once on the way out from Kalm, once outside of Fort Condor, and another time after Cosmo Canyon in an attempt to catch Shalua out as The Mole.
- Likes Older Men: Tifa teases Yuffie about having a thing for older guys. It seems to be confirmed, what with her behavior around Vincent.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Since it draws from the entire Compilation, the fic has a huge cast.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Hojo to Sephiroth, in Rescue. Sephiroth doesn't take it well.
- Mad Scientist's Handsome Son: Sephiroth despises being Hojo's son and always expresses anger whenever the scientist is mentioned or appears.
- Magnetic Hero: Zack. It's implied that Cissnei and Sephiroth would not even be in the party in the first place if their original goal wasn't saving Zack from his Shinra Army Ending, and Kunsel joins for Zack's sake. He's also extremely close to Cloud and Aerith, and was the first of the trio (the other two being Sephiroth and Cissnei) to warm up to Barret and the other members of AVALANCHE.
- Manchurian Agent: Cissnei, although Sephiroth manages to cut her off at the pass before anyone gets hurt.
- May-December Romance: Sephiroth is eight years older than Cissnei.
- This trope is quite likely also in play with Yuffie and Vincent.
- Mercy Lead: Given by Tseng to Cissnei and company in 22 Hours. He gives them a 48 hour head start before alerting the company to their presence in Kalm, allowing them to regroup and escape.
- Mistaken for Gay: Cloud while Disguised in Drag, claims there's someone else, and when pressed, says it's Zack, much to his friend's chagrin, and to the amusement of the rest of their friends. Even Sephiroth laughs.
- Morality Pet: Blaire seems to be becoming this for Sephiroth, although he's far from a bad guy.
- Named Weapons: Quite a few canon ones, such as Zack's Buster Sword, Sephiroth's Masamune, Cissnei's Rekka,which is her real name as well and Shion/Katana's Murasame.
- Noodle Incident: The last time Sephiroth got drunk somehow involved Genesis, an angry Angeal, and a prison. The incident is explained in A Tale of Two SOLDIERs.
- Not His Sled: Anyone expecting Aerith to die the same way she did in the game will be pretty surprised when Kunsel takes the bullet for her.
- Not So Above It All: While Sephiroth is the most serious of the group, he has his moments, such as when Yuffie dyes his hair pink, and in the aforementioned Mistaken for Gay moment.
- Not Quite Dead: Zack right at the beginning.
- Not So Stoic: Sephiroth has a moment in the Shinra Building after killing President Shinra, and another when Cissnei's shot by Nero.
- Oblivious to Love: Sephiroth.
- OC Stand-in: Kunsel.
- Only Sane Man: Sephiroth, ironically.
- Parental Substitute: Shion is one for Cissnei.
- Power Trio: The three main SOLDIE Rs.
- Precision F-Strike: From Sephiroth: "Bastard". A somewhat delirious Cissnei notes that she's never heard him swear before.
- Psycho Ex-Girlfriend: Kunsel apparently has one.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Zack and Yuffie both use these to convince Sephiroth to give them the night off in Interlude 005.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: It is actually noted how mismatched a group they are.
- Red Herring Mole: Shalua. No word yet on who the actual mole is, if one exists.
- It's Cissnei, who doesn't even know she's doing it.
- Relationship Reboot: After Zack and Aerith finally reunite, five years later, they attempt this. It lasts all of thirty seconds.
- Relationship Upgrade: Zack and Aerith after leaving Midgar, and Sephiroth and Cissnei at the very end of Disc One.
- The Reliable One: Kunsel. Zack notes that his friend always did what needed to be done but never raised a fuss about it, which is why he was stuck as a Second for so long.
- Sacrificial Lion: Subverted with Zack, doubles subverted with Kunsel.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Zack and Sephiroth. Cloud also qualifies.
- Shower of Awkward: Sephiroth bumps into Cissnei when she's just out of the shower. She's wearing a towel, but Sephiroth is still a heterosexual male, and believe it or not, he starts imagining things about her.
- Side Bet: Zack and Yuffie bet twenty gil over whether or not the "vampire" they find in the basement of Shinra Mansion is attractive. Zack wins the bet.
- The Spock: Shelke, who acts entirely based off logic and seems confused by the "discrepancies" of others.
- Spirit Advisor: Angeal seems to be gearing up to become this.
- Stepford Smiler: Zack's had a lot of bad things happen to him, but he does his best not to show it.
- Straight Man: Sephiroth, again.
- The Stoic: Sephiroth rarely shows emotions, although he definitely has them.
- Strictly Professional Relationship: Sephiroth and Cissnei love this trope.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Sephiroth, just like in Crisis Core. He does care. He's just not good at this whole "emotional" thing yet.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Sephiroth seems to feel this way at times.
- Sword and Sorcerer: Aerith and Zack combine this with Battle Couple to great effect.
- The Quiet One: Cloud rarely speaks in full sentences. Sephiroth isn't exactly talkative either.
- Tagalong Kid: Blaire.
- Team Dad: Sephiroth again.
- Terse Talker: Cloud.
- The Confidant: Cissnei to Sephiroth. Sephiroth finally has a Jerkass Realization in Interlude 001 when he realizes he's spent the last four years talking about his own problems without once bothering to ask about her past or anything about her.
- The Heart: Zack goes out of his way to be friends with everyone in the party, socialize the antisocial, and cheer everyone up during bad times.
- The Knights Who Say "Squee!": Despite never doing it out loud, Cloud has had quite a few internal 'squees' after getting compliments from Sephiroth.
- Terse Talker: Cloud.
- To Absent Friends: Invoked by Sephiroth when he and Zack go out drinking in the first chapter of The Trials We Face.
- Took a Level in Badass: Genesis, as Sephiroth finds out.
- Cloud's getting there too, although it's pretty slow going.
- Yuffie, during the Wutai Arc.
- True Companions: In their own twisted way, the Turks (and ex-Turks) are this to each other.
- The main characters are becoming this too.
- Tsundere: Yuffie towards Vincent, and non-romantically towards Sephiroth.
- Two Lines, No Waiting: The Fort Condor chapters count as these, as do the chapters of Interlude 001 and the current subplot wherein Tsviets kidnap Marlene.
- Unstoppable Rage: Zack goes into this after Kunsel is killed saving Aerith.
- Unusual Chapter Numbers: The story is divided into a series of Files and Interludes, with each taking up multiple chapters.
- UST: Lots between Sephiroth and Cissnei.
- Weapon Tombstone: It's a tradition to plant the swords of fallen Soldiers where they died. Doubles as foreshadowing for Kunsel's fate.
- We Used to Be Friends: Sephiroth and Genesis.
- Weak, but Skilled: Cissnei.
- Will They or Won't They?: Sephiroth and Cissnei, as well as Cloud and Tifa. As for the former, They Do. Still up in the air for Cloud and Tifa though, even if it's a Foregone Conclusion.
- World of Badass
- World of Snark: Just about everyone gets their snarky moments.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Used in Interlude 001. When Cissnei finally gets fed up with Sephiroth calling himself a monster, she lists off all of the things he has done so far that disprove that statement.