Fan Fic: Field Of Innocence
fic that fleshes out Iroh's son Lu Ten (who despite his impact on his father is barely mentioned in the show), and shows his relationship with his family, especially his role as a Big Brother Mentor
to Azula and Zuko. The story is halfway finished.
Page under construction.
The story can be found here.
- Abusive Parents: Ozai, as in canon, abuses the hell out of his kids. His first appearance in the fic is expressing how much he doesn’t regret burning a handprint into five-year-old Azula’s back for disappointing him during training.
- Action Mom: Kei Rin before her death.
- A Dog Named Dog: Combines with Bilingual Bonus. Near the end of chapter 2, Iroh says that he's going to go talk with Admiral Teitoku. 'Teitoku' means 'admiral' in Japanese.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Lu Ten ruffles Zuko's hair before getting on the ship to the Earth Kingdom.
- Amazon Chaser: While in the Earth Kingdom, Lu Ten apparently had a thing for bounty hunter Jun, mentioning her “amazing” skills and strength in his letters home.
- Iroh claims he was initially attracted to Lu Ten's mother Kei Rin when he saw her doing an extremely difficult firebending form perfectly.
- Audible Sharpness: At one point, there's a shing sound as Lu Ten draws a sword.
- Badass Boast: Lu Ten gives one to Ozai -
Lu Ten: Now you listen to me, Uncle, and listen good. If you hurt either one of those kids again, if you say anything to make them feel bad, if you so much as look at them wrong, I will face you in an Agni Kai and I will break and humiliate you in front of the whole court. I don't care who you are. I don't care if our family is watching. I'll hold nothing back, I will destroy you!
- It actually makes Ozai of all people back down.
- Badass Princess: Before her death, Kei Rin was one by marriage.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: At the very end of one segment, four-year-old Azula decides that she's going to be just like her father, great-grandfather, and cousin. She's right on the first two counts, but she has no idea what that actually means, only thinking that she's going to be a strong bender like them.
- Berserk Button: Whatever you do, never hurt Lu Ten’s little cousins.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Lu Ten is a polite, compassionate sweetheart by nature. Threaten his little cousins, however, and he gets scary.
- Big Brother Instinct: Lu Ten acts like a protective older brother to Azula and Zuko. When he finds out that Ozai has been abusing his children during training, he bolts across the palace to hunt his uncle down, slams him against a wall, and promises to destroy him in an Agni Kai if Ozai so much as looks at the kids wrong. Beware the Nice Ones, indeed.
- Big Brother Mentor: Lu Ten helps train his cousins in firebending.
- Brother-Sister Team: What Lu Ten encourages Zuko and Azula to think of themselves as, and what he believes they will grow up to be. It's almost lucky for him he'll never know he is dead wrong.
- Call Forward: Before he leaves, Lu Ten tells Zuko and Azula that, as a Brother-Sister Team, “the only way you win is together.” This is what Azula tells Zuko eight years later when convincing him to side with her at Ba Sing Se.
- When explaining why he's taking her to train at sunrise, Lu Ten tells Azula, "We're firebenders, we rise with the sun." We can assume that he told Zuko that too.
- Curse Cut Short: “Y-You...You sick...twisted...son of a - !” Justified as Lu Ten was so angry and disgusted that he couldn’t speak.
- Declaration of Protection: "I promise you, Zula, as long as I'm here, I'll always protect you."
- Did You Actually Believe?: Played with. After a seemingly well-meaning Ozai bids them both farewell and good luck on their mission, Lu Ten asks Iroh if he honestly believed all of that. Iroh is Genre Savvy enough to know that, even though he wishes it were true, Ozai would never act like that and something is up. They're both right - Ozai was just trying to divert suspicion from himself as he plots their deaths.
- Don't Make Me Destroy You: What Lu Ten tells Ozai in his Badass Boast. He personally hopes it won't come down to Agni Kai, but is ready and willing to demolish his uncle if it does.
- Doomed by Canon: Lu Ten will die at Ba Sing Se; and with him, any hope that Azula would escape her father's influence.
- Evil Uncle: Ozai is one to Lu Ten. The kind that arranges for his nephew to be murdered to clear his way to the throne.
- Family Eye Resemblance: Iroh mentions that Lu Ten has his mother's gold eyes.
- Give My Regards in the Next World: After saying goodbye to Iroh and Lu Ten and the two leave for the ship to Ba Sing Se, Ozai gives a Slasher Smile and says to himself, "Give my regards to Kei Rin when you're reunited, will you?"
- Heroes Prefer Swords: The heroic prince Lu Ten (one of the more good-hearted Fire Nationals) wields dual swords.
- I Call It "Vera": Lu Ten named his dual dao swords Jianhuren, which is Chinese for “guardian.”
- I Was Quite a Looker: When telling Lu Ten, Zuko, and Azula about his late wife Kei Rin, Iroh claims to have been this when he was younger, squicking out Lu Ten.
- Leitmotif: Word of God says that “The Price of Freedom” from Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core is Lu Ten’s.
- Like Brother and Sister: Lu Ten to his cousin Azula. He considers Zuko a younger brother as well.
- Manly Tears: Lu Ten on the ship to the Earth Kingdom, when he can no longer see the Fire Nation.
- Meaningful Echo: See Call Forward.
- Meaningful Name: The name of Lu Ten's dual dao swords, as mentioned above.
- Iroh's wife, Kei Rin. 'Kei' can be read one way in Japanese characters as 'respectful,' and 'Rin' means 'cold,' making her cold but respectful, as Lu Ten remembers her acting to everyone outside her family.
- Missing Mom: Lu Ten's mother, Kei Rin, was killed in battle when he was eight.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: The Sunstorm, and as in canon, the Dragon of the West. Lampshaded by Zuko.
- Nice Guy: Lu Ten.
- Oh My Gods!: Like in most Avatar fics, the Fire Nationals use Agni in place of God ("Oh, Agni above..." "What in Agni's name?!").
- Piggyback Cute: A decidedly non-shippy example - Lu Ten lets four-year-old Azula ride on his back on their way to the training field.
- Red Baron: Lu Ten is known as the Sunstorm.
- Say My Name: "Uncle Ozai!"
- Slasher Smile: Ozai in his Give My Regards in the Next World moment.
- Spare to the Throne: Ozai is just the spare prince there in case something happens to Iroh, and he hates his status with a passion.
- Stealth Insult: Ozai saying goodbye to Lu Ten and Iroh is basically just him and Lu Ten taking shots at each other like this.
Lu Ten: (after Ozai mentions his requests to join them in battle being ignored) Well, Grandfather would know best, after all. Perhaps he sees that you would be of less use on the battlefield than you are here at the palace.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Kei Rin, according to her son.
- Tempting Fate: So much leading up to Lu Ten being killed. Lampshaded by the author.
- The best (worst?) examples are Iroh telling Lu Ten, “You shall see [the Fire Nation] again. We will return,” on the ship to the Earth Kingdom, and the last line of Lu Ten’s letter to Azula being, “With Agni’s blessing, Dad and I will be back home with you guys before you know it.”
- Trying Not to Cry: Lu Ten, Zuko, and Azula are all on the verge of tears as Lu Ten and Iroh board the ship to the Earth Kingdom, and all three are determined not to let them fall. Lu Ten is the only one who fails.
- The Unfavorite: Ozai, to Iroh. Ozai believes that Azulon doesn't even consider him his son, due to his status as the Spare to the Throne.
- Token Good Teammate: Lu Ten for the Fire Nation. He does believe in war, but not in racial dogma or the cruelty of Ozai.
- Warrior Prince: Lu Ten and Iroh.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Unlike the rest of the Fire Nation, Lu Ten does not think of the other nations as inferior races, believes there is a lot to learn from them, and wishes the Air Nomads hadn’t been killed. However, he does believe that the war is necessary to make the world a better place.
- The Wise Prince: Lu Ten, like his father.