Fan Fic: Fate Black Reflection
is a Crossover Fan Fic
between Fate/stay night
by Nameless Flame Wielder
, in which Kurosaki Ichigo is forced to participate in the 5th Heaven's Feel Grail War when he is attacked by Lancer
and inadvertently summons
a Servant of his own.
The story begins simply enough: Ichigo
and his friends
are called in to investigate a series of deaths and disappearances in a nearby town, which Soul Society believes to be connected to the events that occurred ten years ago
in the same city.
The story appears to be a combination of the Fate and Unlimited Blade Works Routes
, with Bleach thrown into the mix, though the author
has mentioned that pieces from the HF route will be incorporated as well. Possibly one of the best aspects of this story is the writing; Nameless has a solid grasp on the characters of both universes, and it shows
Tropes used in Fate/Black Reflection include:
- Adaptational Badass: Both Shirou and Bazett have individually been developing spiritual powers.
- Also Tatsuki, who before the story's start, was Yoruichi's apprentice and could focus her spirit energy into her punches and kicks.
- Also moves into Took a Level in Badass as Bazett develops Rune-powered close combat magic to fight Hollows.
- In the latest chapter Shirou has shown signs of developing a Fullbring
- Beam-O-War: Excalibur vs. (Bankai) Getsuga Tenshou.
- Big Bad Ensemble: Kirei & Gilgamesh, versus Caster, versus Zouken.
- Big Damn Heroes: Quite a few instances.
- Blood Knight: Both Lancer and Ichigo show their Blood Knight tendencies during their intense rematch.
- Rider is also this, albeit to a lesser extent.
- Conflict Ball: Somewhat; see below.
- Cute and Psycho: Illya, as usual.
- Didn't See That Coming: When Lancer and Bazett have their reunion, they manage to keep Kirei from understanding what they are talking about simply by speaking in Gaelic, a language Kotomine doesn't know. He's actually impressed that they managed to outwit him so simply.
- Enemy Mine: Sort of. After Hollows start showing up in Fuyuki City en masse, the Masters and Servants shift their focus from fighting each other to dealing with the infestation. Gilgamesh is not pleased by this, though it doesn't stop him from killing a few Hollows himself every now and then. However, no alliances are officially made, and several Servants and Masters still find the time to fight each other.
- Five-Man Band:
- Honor Before Reason: Rider observes that Ichigo has a case of this and is worried it will get him in serious trouble, especially considering he's fighting in the Grail War.
- Magnetic Hero: Ichigo is STATED to be this by Bazett when they meet for the first time.
- Poor Communication Kills: The two major groups of good guys are trying to kill each other, mostly because they don't seem to know squat about the right way to find out who is a potential ally and who isn't - Ichigo and his True Companions are acting all mysterious and interrogative, with ominous questions being thrown out ("Why do you want the Grail?") Shirou and his ally's aren't much better, since their first response to this is to attack the people who haven't done anything yet. It gets especially bad when Saber tries to use Excalibur on Rider and Ichigo gets pissed off in response.
- As Chapter 22 shows, the Fuyuki group are worse at it - while they've no reason to trust the ominous people, their first response appears to be "attack first, ask questions later". Especially Archer.
- However, as of chapter 23, it seems Shirou is beginning to regret this, after a massive confrontation with Chad, Uryu, Rukia, Renji, Rider and Hanataro all at once.
- Ship Tease: There are a few… suggestive elements regarding Ichigo and Rider's partnership. Not least of which is Rider being pulled into Ichigo's Inner World by Zangetsu. But it's still too early to tell.
- Also too early to say for sure, but there is a bit between Chad and Ayako as well.
- Though she's probably just being a Troll about it, Rider keeps flirting with Tatsuki.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Bazett manages to survive due to a timely find-and-heal courtesy of Orihime.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Thanks to Caster's experiments on the Hollows, she gives Assassin a Hollow mask much like the Vizards wear. It helps him overpower Saber completely and upgrades his signature move Tsubame Gaeshi by throwing the same strikes in either reverse or another angle. The mask also puts a great toll on Assassin, something he is wary of... and something that Caster is too excited to care about.
- Undying Loyalty: Rider to Ichigo, she is extremely devoted to him to the point where she makes it clear in her internal monologue's that she will do anything to keep him safe because she thinks that his Honor Before Reason tendency's will get him killed, to the point that she will sometimes slip into being a Psycho Supporter - best shown when she almost killed Renji and Hanataro because she misheard a joke.
- Unskilled, but Strong: A majority of Soul Reapers tend to fight using the power of their zanpakutos and their kido spells over their actual weapon technique. Ichigo notices this compared to Lancer, a Servant of the spear, who is both strong AND skilled, with unmatched speed and accuracy with the weapon. Not that he's complaining.
It was so new to Ichigo. He had never fought opponents with this much pure skill with their weapon until the Holy Grail War drafted him. Most of his foes used the power of their zanpakutou and their special techniques as much as their actual swordsmanship. Even Byakuya and Aizen put emphasis on using the special abilities of their swords and kido in battle over such sublime mastery of their weapon. Lancer didn't have those options aside from the trump card that was his Noble Phantasm's ultimate move, but he still could give him an interesting fight.
- White And White Morality: Ichigo's group vs. Shirou is made of this, along with Poor Communication Kills - they're definitely all good guys with noble intentions, but because they're being either overcautious or reckless, they've so far only succeeded in making enemies of each other.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Ichigo's group vs. All the other magi and all the Heroic Spirits. Soul Reapers are trying to achieve balance of souls between the worlds and keep casualties to a minimum. The other participants in the Holy Grail War, excluding Shirou, are here to get the Grail by whatever means and keep anyone from finding out. Their morals aren't just different, they're flat-out incompatible.