Fanfic: Eyes Without a Face
Daisy is dead.
Lily is dead.
Rose is dead.
...I will become a mask.
The first installment of The Jubiverse
On the one hoof, itís My Little Pony as a film noir
. On the other hoof, itís also a borderline Shock Fic.
The story opens up with Rose
, who is traumatized by the death of her friends Lily and Daisy. After she has completed her ďtrainingĒ, she picks up crime fighting, and stumbles into a huge conspiracy that involves serial killers, gang leaders, and even Twilight Sparkle.
How deep does this mystery go?Down.All. The way. Down.
It was uploaded to FIM fiction by theycallmejub
, and can be read here
. But be careful: since it's a part of the Jubiverse, the story itself is ugly, violent, scary, and in many ways disturbing. You Have Been Warned
This fanfiction series provides the following tropes:
- Anti-Hero / Villain Protagonist: Really, when it comes to Rose, either trope could apply.
- Badass Baritone: Heck, the guyís NAME is even Baritone!
- Bad-Guy Bar
- Black and Grey Morality
- Creepy Twins: Temporal and her brother are both dirty cops, and capable of doing some pretty terrible things.
- Even though Inkie and Blinkie arenít really twins, they still fit this trope unnervingly close.
- Darker and Edgier: This is the first story in the Jubiverse, and by far still the most violent and sinister.
- Dating Catwoman: Rose begins to warm up to pretending to be Crestís girlfriend.
- Deconstruction: We've already seen Twilight Sparkle flip her lid over the small stuff a few times in the series proper. Now we see what would happen if she lost her horn. It ain't pretty.
- Depraved Bisexual: Rose is the kind of pony who would make out with a guy, kill him, then make out with his girlfriend. Or maybe the other way around. While they watch!
- Dirty Cop: Pretty much anypony on the police force, but especially Twilight Sparkle.
- Evil Brit: Most members of the Daughters of Discord gang are from Trottingham. Their leader, Crest, stands out the most, though.
- Fallen Hero: Twilight Sparkle, big time. Also implied with Applejack.
- Film Noir: In the vein of Frank Miller.
- I Can Change Him: What Redheart thinks she can do for Rose. You don't even need to guess whether or not she can.
- I Fell for Hours: An entire chapter is about Rose falling. It's over a thousand words long.
- In Love with Your Carnage: The reason Twilight Sparkle wants Rose to work with her. Unfortunately, the Pie sisters also have their eye on her for this same reason...
- Interplay of Sex and Violence: Referenced often enough and used in such a way as to turn this whole fic into the occasional Gross Out Show.
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique
- Just Shoot Him: Baritone's solution to Rose chasing him.
- The Nicknamer: When Rose doesn't know somepony's name, she thinks up one herself as a placeholder, such as "Tiger Voice" for Baritone or "Blondie" for Applejack.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant/Nightmare Fetishist: Rose likes to ping-pong between these two tropes. She glosses over a lot of what she does to ponies as if she's describing a cooking recipe or recounting a hot night on the town.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Rose on... well, nearly anypony she gets her hooves on, unless it's Cold-Blooded Torture instead.
- No Ending: Because it's just the beginning.
- No Plans, No Prototype, No Backup: Junebug never wrote down the exact recipe for Shard, which is why the Daughters of Discord require her alive in order to make more dirty money.
- Origin Story: Believe it or not, this whole story leads up to how Rose becomes the new Mare-Do-Well.
- Porky Pig Pronunciation: J-J-Junebug has this.
- Psychopathic Mare-Foal: Rose has no obligations (Even if she's dating or staying with somepony, she does not respect this obligation), no job, no real sense of personal responsibility, and absolutely no social skills, to the point where Redheart or whoever she decides to stay with needs to take care of her or she will forget to.
- Red Light District
- Shout-Out: There's a cowgirl-themed stripper who seems to be exceedingly good at her job. Where have we seen this before?
- Stutter Stop: What the Shard does for Junebug... among ''other'' things...
- Tearjerker: Twilight Sparkleís death.
- There Are No Therapists: To be honest, if this were Real Life, a person like Rose would be in an insane asylum.
- Training from Hell: From what Rose says about her training under Storm Chaser, this was his idea of "toughening up."
- Unreliable Narrator: Given the fact that itís all from Roseís perspective, and that Rose is a completely broken failure of a pony, the reader canít be totally certain if anything really happens the way Rose claims it does.
- Villainous Breakdown: The Pie sisters fight over Rose, killing each other in the process.
- Twilight Sparkle, unable to cope with her victimhood, chases after Rose and falls to her death as a result.
- Villainous Crossdresser: A whole gang of them no less!
- Would Harm A Child: The entire Daughters of Discord gang was involved in pony trafficking, selling foals off as sex slaves.
- Wretched Hive: Manehatten seems to be the mother of all urban decay.