Fan Fic: Experiment
A Detective Conan Fan Fic by Magic Conan 14 that can be read here. It was first published in 2012, and is of the scifi/spiritual genre. (The spiritual bit is the main theme of the story, according to Word of God.) It ended the following year, the last 4 chapters being released one day at a time.Haibara has a permanent solution to APTX: a metal which, after implanted into Shinichi's body, should have helped his body stay 16 or 17 years old. Shinichi, being the way he is, doesn't stop to think of the consequences when it's offered to him. What happens afterwards will really make him regret ever accepting it - he begins to morph into something that isn't really human anymore.The arcs are:
- Evolution arc (chapters 1 - 3)
- Alien arc (chapter 4 - 6)
- Ai's involvement (chapter 6 - 8)
- Epilogue (chapter 9 - 10)
Experiment contains examples of:
- Alien Abduction: The end of chapter 4. However, Shinichi gets to ride in Ladrafiefr's shuttle instead of the usual abduction method, making this a hybrid of this and Stay with the Aliens.
- Aliens Speaking English: Ladrafiefr.
- Convenient Coma: Used as part of the procedure to bring Shinichi back.
- Cursed with Awesome: Who wouldn't want wings?
- Cyborg: Shinichi and Ladrafiefr. Later it's revealed that Haibara is one too.
- Death by Origin Story: Not a real death per se because Shinichi is Conan, but it would still count.
- Epic Flail: The second set of wires becomes a pair of cords with wrecking balls on the ends, which is pretty much the cyborg attachment version of this trope.
- Gone Horribly Right: The whole premise of the fic, paired with its opposite and thrown into one whole fic. The reason for this is that the metal does stop Shinichi from turning back into Conan, causing a huge revelation that he can't go back to the Shonen Tanteidan (bar Haibara, obviously) ever again, but also causes him to become a mutating cyborg.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: See its opposite above.
- Or Was It a Dream?: The dream in one chapter.
- Plot-Triggering Death: See 'Death by Origin Story' above.
- Pro-Human Transhuman: every former-human in the Cyborg list above.
- Humanoid Aliens: Ladrafiefr.
- Shout-Out: Sezaria is one to Expiry Date, whereas Ran's fall from the sky in chapter 5 could allude to Doppelganger...all works by the same author.
- Tender Tears: Ran, after hearing from Haibara the whole explanation. From her dialogue, Tears of Remorse territory is crossed.
- Ran: I didn't know what was happening...all this time...
- Was Once Human: The inhabitants of Sezaria.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Shinichi being of the Good Cyborg sort, with brain intact.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: Shinichi runs his own detective agency and Ran lives in it. Kazuha's confessed to Heiji but they haven't ever gone on a proper date. Ran's put Ladrafiefr to work cleaning the old Kudo mansion. Haibara is still in school. Generic decided to commit suicide after being in school for a while.
- Winged Humanoid: Shinichi's first sign of something going horribly wrong is a pair of wings.
- You Remind Me of X: The author's explanation as to why Haibara called Ran 'neechan' is a variant 2. Considering what happened in canon...