is a 'Naruto' fic written by AlphaDelta1001
The story's summary is 'Naruto is many things; troublesome, wild, unpredictable, adventurous, untamable, unique. But there's a benefit to being wild and unpredictable; no one has the faintest idea what you're going to do next.' Naruto is a LOT more adventurous when he's younger and the decisions he makes changes the story in huge ways. It is also the second longest Naruto story on FanFiction.net
List of tropes appearing in Drifting
- Action Girl: Most of the Kunoichi that are attracted to Naruto. Also the female OC, Misora Amaya, she's good enough to be considered for a spot in the Akatsuki.
- Artistic License - Physics: During the Chunin exam, it's mentioned that the hot climate of the area prevents lift, keeping them from rigging up a glider. As one technique of gliding is moving from thermal to thermal to keep aloft, this is almost the exact opposite of how it works in reality.
- Ascended Extra: Virtually all of the filler/movie villains are working together and are given much more significance in the plot. To the point that as of this writing, they are a much greater threat than the Akatsuki.
- Badass: Naruto, given the foes he faces... It's kind of a requirement.
- Badass Normal: The first major opponent that Naruto faces, Crow. He manages to evade the authorities and earn a unusually high bounty for a normal assassin. In a world where breathing fire from your mouth is common.
- Handicapped Badass: It's discovered that Crow has so many injuries that he should have died years ago.
- Blow You Away: Much of Naruto's fighting style incorporates his Wind element and special mention goes to his Signature Move "Jet Hand", which at maximum power can send opponents flying across the continent with just a single touch.
- Chick Magnet: Naruto has many girls who are attracted to him, usually with him rescuing them.
- Defeating the Undefeatable: Naruto is the only genin to have ever defeated Tsubaki, although Samui came pretty close to doing it.
- Door Stopper: Is The 2nd longest Naruto story on Fan Fiction.net, at over a million words as of April 2014.
- Dramatic Wind: Naruto's "Eiyuu Kaze" (Hero Wind) jutsu is a joke technique he made to make himself look more badass before a fight. It's later weaponized as he uses this technique to No Sell all of Tsubaki's lightning attacks.
- Expy: Many of the OCs are actually these:
- Misora Amaya's looks and abilities are based on Uzumi from Sekirei.
- Kiyoko's Kekkei Genkai is based on Greed's powers.
- Tsubaki appears to be a bit of a mishmash of various characters from OnePiece. Her general appearance is based on Nami, while her Kekkei Genkai is based on Eneru's Logia powers. Lastly, some of her move set taken from Admiral Kizaru.
- Impossible Thief: Early on when Naruto faced a trio of female Chunin who had infiltrated the village, he somehow managed to steal all their underwear without taking off or damaging their clothes, or even them noticing until he showed them his "loot".
- Tournament Arc: The Chunin Exams naturally. Although with the difference being that all Five of the Great Shinobi Villages participate and the exams themselves take place in Yugakure instead of Konoha.
- Super Reflexes: A major part of Naruto's taijutsu style is his incredible speed and reflexes. His speed and reflexes become so great that in the Chunin Exam, it culminates in Naruto dodging every single strike from Neji's 8 Trigrams 64 Palms from point blank.
- Villainous Breakdown: Not exactly a villain at the time, but Tsubaki seriously loses her composure that not only is Naruto able to No Sell her overpowered lightning attacks, but he can actually land solid hits on her too and negate her Made Of Air abilities. What's more, when it becomes clear that Naruto is actually winning, she completely loses it.