"My name is Petra and I have a pathological fear of Dragons."
—Petra at the end of Chapter 1
is a Skyrim
Hurt/Comfort/ Angst Fanfic
by Experiment 282
Petra is the Dragonborn
of the new age. However she was deeply traumatized by the events at Helgen and at the Western Watchtower which nearly got her killed and wants nothing to do with the Dragons. She flees to Riften and is recruited by Brynjolf to become a thief and to help get the Thieves Guild back on it's feet. Petra's a stubborn nord who grows to be a skilled thief and Brynjolf becomes fascinated with her and tries to bring her out of her shell. He discovers her secret and his attempts to help her out are called out to be just as stubborn. The two grow closer as they work through her phobia
togethers and shows that outgrowing it isn't going to be easy.
It follows the Thieves Guild storyline with slight diversions, throwing it in a few twists
here and there and developing into an original storyline with bits and pieces of other Questlines, including the main quest, from the original game thrown in and bits of creativity within the Elder Scrolls lore. Chapters are updated daily, and is currently up to Chapter 110 with each chapter in POV's of mainly Petra and Brynjolf, but occasionally have another side character narrate a chapter or two. They mostly have philosophical discussions regarding life the nature of being, religion and existence
, thrown in with drama, action, tragedy, love, madness, magic and wonder etc.
The main arc finishes at Chapter 108-109, with Chapter 109 beginning the New World Saga, based on Sotrahkun's Cosmic Retcon
And escalated thrills ahoy.
This Fanfic provides examples of:
open/close all folders
- Dark and Troubled Past: Surprisingly, not Petra, who grew up with her parents in Cyrodiil and while she complained about farm life, she was happy until she had come to Skyim. However it's actually Brynjolf with his Former Priest of Talos and actually a member of the Cult of Slaughter father, Prolg. Then it gets worse when he finds out Mercer was actually his father.
- Darkest Hour:
- Dark Is Not Evil / Dark Is Evil: Zigzagged. Darkness and shadow are elements involved operations requiring heists, but also espionage and shadow powers can be used for good, due to Nocturnals influence. However, this has also influenced others in the past to do despicable things, especially when Molag Bal is involved.
- Light Is Good: In the meanwhile, Sotrahkun is portrayed as a pure white dragon and is definitely on the good guys side.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Petra, aloof and apathetic at first but get's better. Same with Vex.
- Despair Event Horizon: Oh Gods Petra, the poor thing gets thrown left and right all the damn time and it constantly drives her over the edge. At one point, she tries to to kill herself and contemplates it often.
- Deus Angst Machina: Petra, constantly. She gets better towards the end, but all this crap just piles on her simply because she's Dragonborn.
- Devoted to You: Brynjolf, to Petra.
- Dimensional Traveler: The Realm-Walker and her servants.
- Does Not Know How To Say Thanks: Petra at first, but she eventually warms up to people.
- Dogged Nice Guy:
- Don't Look at Me!: Petra when Brynjolf discovers shes a Vampire then when Brynjolf finds her spirit as a dragon in the Soul Cairn.
- Drama Queen: Petra cries a lot, so it falls into this sometimes.
- Dream World: The Laaglein. It's a unstable realm of Aetherius that can be access while sleeping with certain circumstances. It's also the location of the Jen Dovah, or the Amethyst Dragons like Hahnubopraan. You can also access it while awake, by going through the Dreaming Cave via any realm of Oblivion.
- It's stated also to be The force that surrounds the Currents of Time, a literal river that runs through time itself and leads to the Maas, or Seed that grows the Tree of Choices.
- Driven to Suicide: After the Regkosot explains the situation to Petra in Chapter 80 on how she can die to save the world, Petra contemplates it and in Chapter 81 makes the attempt, however Brynjolf prevents her. She didn't want to do it, but because of her fathers words, she did it anyway. Brynjolf makes her swear never to do that again. She still thinks about it in Chapter 82, but ultimately upholds her promise to Bryn.
- Drunk with Power: Several characters go through this, especially Prolg.
- Elders: The Greybeards are grandfatherly to Petra Brynjolf knows Arngeir since he and his father had visited High Hrothgar before.
- Empty Shell: Petra becomes this after she's Raped by Mercer. in Chapter 19. Her narration then goes in between subtle and Suddenly Shouting and describes that her mind has gone blank.
- This wasn't the first time that's happened. It's confirmed when she and Hadvar discussed what happened at Helgen that when it was attacked, that it's described she had eyes like she was dead to the world.
- Even Evil Has Standards: This was in reason for Zoklotinhaars defection from Alduin. Petra speaks with them and makes them realize what they're doing. Mind you Petra is a thief, so she was already on the borderline.
- Everyone Can See It: The Guild can see how much Brynjolf cares for Petra that he chastises them at first for looking into it too much in Chapter 15, then realizes he's actually in love with her when thinking about her in Chapter 25. The Chapter name is Acceptance.
- Fatal Flaw: Throughout the story, Petra is constantly encountering dragons and due to her phobia holding her back, the body count around her rose up. However...
- Berserk Button: While her phobia was in place each time she fought a dragon, it was found if Brynjolf was hurt or threatened in anyway, that she would tap into her dragon self, leaving her filled with nothing but rage and hate that superseded the fear that was there and has decimated several dragons this way. Once the dragon was dead, she'd become a complete wreck and beside herself.
- Fighting Your Friend: Petra verses Zoklotinhaar! Brynjolf in Chapter 58.
- Fear Tropes: As this starts off with Petra's Phobia, she demonstrates several tropes in this regard:
Petra: I hadn't heard that sound in like, forever. My heart was pumping, but not in a good way. I was out of breath and I wasn't even running. Every part of my body froze and Cody just stopped in his tracks. The roars became louder and I started to shake violently. No. Not this again. I...I forced myself to move and charge myself forward. The sound came from behind. I could sense the lingering tinge of the heat. It had given off a terrible shout. By Talos I pleaded for it to go away, but the memories of Helgen flooded back and the only part in my mind was that terrible dragonfire. My body argued with me. With everything. My nerves, my muscles...all influenced by this creature that inspired something extremely painful and agonizing that I couldn't stand it. My mind was everywhere, scattered in the mess that was my head. Sweat, a clamped throat that prevented me from speaking, my eyes aching as tears fell everywhere. I'd taken every breath as if it were my last. By the Gods, they just might be. Yes...the sweat, the tight throat, the flush of heat, the heavy breathing, the inescapable fate of my nightmares.
- The Dreaded: The Dragons to Petra: She gets better.
- Ironic Fear: She's technically a dragon herself, albeit mortal Even her spirit in the Soul Cairn is that of a dragon.
- Security Cling: To Brynjolf. Constantly.
- Stress Vomit: Due to her Phobia, several times Petra's fears have consumed her so much that it forces her to heave her stomach contents. When Brynjolf isn't disgusted by it and still tries to help her still, she's utterly surprised. She somehow manages to stop doing that in Chapter 50.
- Tears of Fear: One of Petra's reactions when she encounters Dragons due to her phobia. She very, very slowly gets over it.
- Foreshadowing: Petra's transformation into Sotrahkun has had several hints throughout the story.
- This quote from Nemetona in Chapter 63:
Nemetona: she could become a God if she so chose.
- This quote from Petra in Chapter 67:
Petra: Makes you think doesn't it? I mean an Elder Scroll that turns you into a God?
- When Petra and the Realm-Walker are walking through the Laaglein in Chapter 53, A brass gate pops up, leading the Realm-Walker to describe it as the Dreamsleeve, a place when a soul can go to cease to exist, but they didn't have to go through it, it was only showing them an example of it, possibly due the worlds reaction to subconscious desires. Guess what Petra has to go through in Chapter 96?
- From Bad to Worse: An alternative title for the whole story. Let's see, so Petra comes from dealing with dragons, to getting the guild up to full strength, to dealing with a psychotic Vampire Lord!Mercer and is raped and turned into a Vampire to Your boyfriend getting possessed and finding that to Said boyfriend accidentally (okay he was still possessed) killed you and sending your soul to the Soul Cairn to temporarily turned into a dragon and that to knowing that time is being destroyed. and that you have to die to save the world, to learning that what you considered to be your family is dead.. Not finished yet. To being betrayed by an old friend to finding out you're related to a daedric prince and finally, Having to possibly die anyway because it was to save an Old demigod from the brink of death and by extension, time itself completely collapsing. Phew!
- Jerkass: Prolg, Alduin and Ancano
- Affably Evil: Them, including Elenwen came come under this, especially they can be civil enough to let things fall into plan eventually.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Alternate! Mercer. He didn't become insane as he was, was Happily Married to Nemetona and apologizes to Petra for her worlds Mercer for all the nasty things he did.
- Killed Off for Real: Brynjolfs mother Nemetona in Chapter 80.
- The entire Thieves Guild in Chapter 82.
- Hadvar died from a fallen piece of debris in Solitude in Chapter 99.
- The Realm-Walker, from providing Ayisha the energy she needed to close the Tears
- Confirmed as a Disney Death as she returns back in 105, because she is amongst the other Dragonborn summoned back to life via Sotrahkun.
- Paarthurnax and Odahviing get torn apart by Alduin's army in Chapter 104.
- Zoklotinhaar sacrifices his own existence to give Sotrahkun the edge and Nocturnal's Secret Thu'um.
- Kiss of the Vampire: Brynjolf is relatively drunk in Chapter 36 and and while it doesn't entail him transforming into a Vampire, but he wouldn't mind kissing Petra and running his tongue over her fangs. She obliges, but he passes out before he could so.
- The Lad-ette: You could argue Petra, Vex, Sapphire and Tonilia all fall underneath this.
- And the Realm-Walker, who occasionally sits with her feet on the table.
- Last of His Kind: Not only is Brynjolf the last Septim but he is also the last surviving member of the Thieves Guild in Skyrim, after it's wiped out and after Petra sacrifices herself to save Sotrahkun.
- Leave Me Alone: Petra at the beginning due to her dislike of working with people. She gets over this eventually despite her originally stubborn nature, allowing Brynjolf to help her.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Brynjolf to Petra. He doesn't mind. All he wants to do is to help her and tells her it's okay to cry. Also contributing to the fact is that he discovers he's in love with her, which helps support this.
- At times Petra was even this to Brynjolf.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Bryn's friend on the border is his father Prolg. Petra finds out while in the Currents of Time during Chapter 93 that his father is actually Mercer.
- Mama Bear: Petra takes care of lil' Ayisha, a young Khajiit child Priestess and gets pissed if anyone tries to hurt her.
- Promotion to Parent: When said Khajiit is found in Chapter 44. For both Petra and Brynjolf, whom Ayisha affectionately calls them Mama and Papa respectively.
- Irony being When Petra becomes Sotrahkun, she actually becomes the Mother of all Dragons and Spirit-Mother of all Dragonborn.
- The Mirror Shows Your True Self: In Chapter 75, a visit to the Laaglein brings Petra and the Realm-Walker to a river, known as the Currents of Time and looks into the river itself, seeing her reflection as [[spoiler: her dragon spirit, the Jen Dovah to which all Dovah once were.)
- Missing Time: As time continues to break, Petra is found on several occasions to be misplaced and actually transported into the void, or at least outside time itself. It's suggested at first that she was to blame, but in reality, it's much worse than that. Maybe.
- Monster Progenitor: While Akatosh is the Father of dragons (Bormah) Sotrahkun is the Mother (Monah of Dragons) and by extension, all Dragonborn. Though Dragons were hatched from eggs and Sotrahkun insists her children are not monsters, Dragonborn are considered her Spirit-Children made to defeat the Dragons to punish them for what they became:
Sotrahkun I am Sotrahkun, Monah of the Dovah. History has been filled with lies and slander about my children. For it was I who laid the first clutch of Eggs for Akatosh. I did not give birth to monsters. I gave birth to protectors of your pasts, your presents and your futures. I guide the Tree of Choices as it grows from the Seed at the beginning of time. It may not all sound like something you would hear from me but for if this is destroyed, life will cease to exist.
Sotrahkun I am not just the mother of dragons, I am a wife of Akatosh. Who has allowed creation of Dovahkiin to teach dovah lessons in humility and to get them back to see who they once were. Noble creatures, corrupted by power and greed. But they are not born from an egg. They are are flesh taken from my breast and spirits made whole once again."
- My Future Self and Me: Present Ayisha is found as a child, and Future! Ayisha is found with the Nerevarine after they meet in Akavir. Due to the Tears in time, she was sucked back to the past. She comes from a Bad Future where Alduin succeeds and Petra is confirmed dead for good.
- Nervous Wreck: When Petra encounters Dragons.
- Nice Guy: Brynjolf. Petra notes that he doesn't need to be in Thieves Guild on how he's so nice. He does lap into Good Is Not Nice at times, but he's generally the nicest character who loves his Guild and will do anything for it.
- Mystical Waif: Ayisha.
- Mystical White Hair: Several characters have this. Notably, Ayisha, the Realm-Walker and the Regkosot which symbolizes their magical natures.
- No Sell: As Ayisha is the Mane of the Khajiit, she has a unique spirit that nulls the effects of the Soul Cairn.
- The Ring of Verity does this as well.
- Oh, Crap: We see the first reaction of Petra's realisation a dragon's nearby at the end of Chapter 3 and her escape from it in Chapter 4.
- She and Brynjolf encounter the same dragon in Chapter 9.
- Only Sane Man: Brynjolf
- Our Vampires Are Different: In a twist to the original Thieves Guild storyline Mercer is revealed to be a Vampire Lord in the service to Molag Bal. he forces Petra to become one, in the same tradition hinted in the Dawnguard DLC, so Petra becomes one as well, albeit temporarily.
- It's also revealed later on that Prolg is one as well, corrupting Mercer in the process.
- Petite Pride: Petra is described as small and petite, which works well in her line of work that allows her to get inside short, tight places.
- Physical God: Petra sacrifices her mortality one more time to become Sotrahkun, White Dragon of the Feather
- Place Beyond Time: The Maas / The Seed, also known as the Tree of Choices is this. Because it's at the beginning of time. Sort of. The Seed the very beginning and it grows into the tree itself with it's near infinite branches representing multiple timelines and like it's name suggests, it's based on choices that have great enough effect that if another choice was made, events would unfolded a lot differently.
- Portal Pool: The entrance to the Currents of Time is like this, except it's more like a river.
- Power Echoes: In Chapters 89 and 91, Petra absorbs an astonishing amout of Dragon souls in such a short time. She first has a mass absorption in Chapter 57 while fighting the Dragons at Fellnir, it's not until the battles at the Shivering Isles and the Laaglein that this starts to happen. Her voices is described to have multiple inflections by Brynjolf.
- Power Floats: Petra's dragon wings shout and Zoklotinhaars Dragon Priest armour can summon raven wings.
- The Power of Blood: Petra's blood is needed to access Sky Haven Temple and the Maas, in order to meet with Sotrahkun The Mother of Dragons
- Psychological Torment Zone: What ever dimension Petra waltzed into when she went underneath Riftweald Manor.
- Rape as Drama: In Chapter 19, Petra is raped by Mercer when she only slightly objects to his idea of letting her lead. A case of Disproportion Retribution at first, but gets disturbing implications later on when you find out who's really working for. He's also done this with Vex, Tonilia and Sapphire, though they had also been mind raped to the point they had no idea what they were doing.
- It's hinted by Prolg in Chapter 101 that It wouldn't be the first time for Mercer. He states Nemetona was violated by Mercer, that resulted in being pregnant with Brynjolf.
- Ready for Lovemaking: Petra's surprise for Brynjolf after a long night of drinking, though while they are making love, they talk about if Vex and Delvin eventually got it on as well, much to Brynjolf's exasperation.
- Ring of Power: Two in fact. Ayisha possesses the Ring of Khajiiti, that allows her to turn invisible, as well as the Ring of Verity, which acts as a No Sell and can summon the Realm-Walker to you.
- Ripple-Effect-Proof Memory: Due to the Cosmic Retcon done by Sotrahkun and possibly the Ring of Verity, Brynjolf is the only one who remembers what happened throughout the story. Although in Chapter 109 it's suggested that Petra is slowly remembering but doesn't understand what these memories are, since events at Helgen worked out differently and the whole main campaign had already been completed by the time Brynjolf meets her again.
- Running Gag: Brynjolf says something greatly philosophical to Petra to help her, then mentions he was probably talking out of his ass.
- For some reason Petra is always stabbed underneath her left breast.
- Petra tends to transform into other creatures for what ever bizarre circumstance turns her.
- Petra's obsession with shipping Vex and Delvin.
- Safety In Indifference: Petra starts off as this, then when she starts to care, it's all thrown on her.
- Shipper on Deck: The Guild supports Petra/Brynjolf, while Petra supports Vex/Delvin, much to Brynjolf's chagrin.
- An alternate universe tells us Vex and Delvin are married, and are with child.
- Ship Tease: Besides the Official Couple of Petra and Brynjolf, we're teased Vex/Delvin, Vipir/Sapphire and oddly enough, Karliah/Malborn.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Brynjolf is Petrasexual.
- Split Personality: Petra originally comes off as just a stubborn Tsundere but can split into her Dragon-Self which turns her into The Berserker complete with Berserker Tears.
- Surprise Pregnancy: Helps kick off the New World Saga. In Chapter 110 Petra finds out she is pregnant, possibly having conceived with Brynjolf in Chapter 109.
- Someone Has to Do It: Sotrahkun is tied to time itself, so if she dies, then time dies as well. Petra doesn't want to, but knows she has to die anyway, as was destined. She becomes Sotrahkun and begins the process of repairing the damage Alduin had made.
- Squee: Petra loves shipping Vex/Delvin so when she sees them spooning each other after a night of partying she could barely contain herself.
- Suicidal Cosmic Temper Tantrum: Alduin. No matter how many times people put this out to him that his actions will do more harm than good, it's clear he doesn't care. He's more of a less considered a brat who will consume the world because it's his destiny as World-Eater and will resort to anything to destroy it. Such as breaking time to get what he waants.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Zoklotinhaar and his armour is this to Brynjolf.
- The Voiceless: The Realm-Walker's assistant, whom Brynjolf calls the Mute Girl/Lass who has the ability to teleport herself and other people around.
- Time Travel: Petra visits the Currents of Time and goes to at least three points in time:
- Meets a young boy running away from his father and inspires him to join the Thieves Guild. Highly implied this is Brynjolf
- Visits the Dragon War and meets a younger Paarthurnax and inspires him to teach the Voice to mortal kind
- And lastly, she actually falls into an alternate universe where Mercer wasn't a dick...well, he still is a dick. He lets Petra know he's Brynjolf's real father and has been in contact with Realm-Walker, looking after Young! Ayisha.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Petra doesn't have any notable feminine traits, other than her inner shipper.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Majority of the time her hair is always up and only let's it done when she's with Brynjolf...uh...alone Ahem.
- Try to Fit THAT on a Business Card!: Sotrahkun, White Dragon of the Feather, Wife of Akatosh, Monah of the Dovah, Spirit-Mother to the Dragonborn, Guardian of the Maas and the Tree of Choices.
- Then add afterwards former Dragonborn / Dovahkiin, Petra Doom-Driven.
- Wham Episode: Chapter 19 at Snow Veil Sanctum. You know what happens there when you do the Thieves Guild Quests, but you don't know that Mercer is actually a Vampire Lord and rapes Petra.
- Chapter 50: Brynjolf is possessed and tries to kill Petra, but she's saved by the Realm-Walker's timely intervention.
- Chapter 58: He does it again, still possessed and successfully kills Petra, sending her Soul to the Soul Cairn.
- Chapter 82: The Thalmor found the new Secret Base of the Thieves Guild, and kills everyone inside leaving Petra and Brynjolf the only ones left.
- Chapter 92: Petra discovers Mercer is Brynjolf's actual father.
- Chapter 110: The reason for Petra's random sicknesses, followed by a Wham Line.
Lydia: "You're going to become a mother Petra!"
- Why Does It Have To Be Dragons?
- Woman in White: Regkosot. Avatar for Sotrahkun, the White Dragon of the Feather.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Petra is like this when ever Brynjolf is in trouble.
- Yaoi Fangirl: During the game of Thief! in Chapter 78, Petra smiles when Vipir has to search Brynjolf for a particular item, as per the game rules.
Brynjolf: Petra's smile turned devlish as I stood up and rose my arms. I think she liked Vipir touching me out of some sick twisted fantasy. Gods...her mind is probably filled with thousands of ideas right about now.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Zigzagged. Petra's been told constantly that she is the writer of her own fate, make her own choices and is often called fateless, yet the prophecy calls to her to defeat Alduin. It's not until Martin Septim explains it to her...in a sort of more sensible way.
Martin: You can fix it. But ultimately, what you decide to do, not in terms of what you decide to do now, but afterwards is entirely up to you. When you go through that part, you'll understand what I mean.
- Sotrahkun theorizes Alduin is attempting to subvert the prophecies, saying that he's afraid to die as destined.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Petra helps get the guild back to full strength due to her skills as a thief. But she has a huge lack of self-esteem. People like Brynjolf tell her that she can be a strong person who just needs to be encouraged.
- You Are Not Alone: Part of Petra's Character Development is forming relationships with people. At first she ignored everybody at the Guild, only talking if she really had to and mostly kept to herself. She comes to appreciate the help Brynjolf is giving her and especially after the problem with Mercer she starts forming better friendships within the Guild, who have come to respect her as friend and fellow thief.
- You Are What You Hate: Petra is killed by Zoklotinhaar! Brynjolf by accident and is sent to the Soul Cairn. Her form is that of a dragon and they're ashamed of it. When Prolg hands her the Amulet of Akatosh, she takes a corpereal form and becomes an Amethyst Dragon. She turns back to normal eventually.
- Yet it happens again when she becomes Sotrahkun. While she hates it, she knows it's necessary to do so.
- Your Worst Nightmare: Guess