Fanfic: Distorted Reality
is a Fan Fic
of Avatar: The Last Airbender
by Orgo. It begins two years after Aang failed to defeat Ozai, and he travels to the spirit world to reactivate the avatar state.
However, the previous Avatars decide Aang needs to learn a lesson, and they send him into a Mirror Universe
. Aang is also sent back in time to the start of the series, with all of his memories intact but his body and powers are reset to what he had then. Aang must come to terms with fighting alongside his former enemies against his old friends.
Unfortunately, the author has discontinued the fic, but was kind enough to post the remaining plot in the last chapter.
This Work Contains Examples Of:
- Abusive Parents: Hakoda was this to Sokka and Katara both: he cut out one of Sokka's eyes, and according to Katara, she was passed over as a heir even after Sokka left due to the Water Tribe's Stay in the Kitchen attitude, and never acknowledged her.
- Adaptational Badass: Kanna (Sokka and Katara's grandmother, and a normal in the main series) taught Katara here, and is on par with Iroh. Hakoda as well: he's the Water Emperor, and basically the counterpart to Ozai.
- Adaptational Heroism: Played with: Distorted!Katara seems to be far more kind/caring to her friends and family than Canon!Azula, despite the two being "counterparts" of a sort. However, she is willing to murder troops from her own country to achieve her goals, so.... Played straight by Zhao, Azula, and Ozai, though we never see the last before the end...
- Adaptational Villainy: Sokka, Bato, Kanna Katara, Suki, Yue, Hakoda, and the Water Tribes as a whole.
- Adorkable: Sokka when Suki teases him.
- Affably Evil: Kanna, Yue, and Suki.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Azula has a crush on Aang: sadly, he still loves his world's Katara.
- Amazon Brigade: Roku's Warriors, and formerly the Kyoshi Warriors. Also, Katara's team.
- Anti-Villain: Katara. She just wants her brother back, and unlike Azula, cares for her friends.
- Arranged Marriage: Ty Lee had one with Chan, and Yue went to one of the Water Temples specifically to subvert this.
- Ascended Extra: Yue gets this treatment, as well as Kanna/Gran-Gran.
- Bad Moon Rising: Kannir's Moon, the Water Tribe equivalent to Sozin's Comet.
- Balance Between Good and Evil: Blue flame, like Azula's, is generated using killing intent, and white flame is generated from the desire to protect.
- Big Screwed-Up Family: The Royal Family of the Southern Water Tribe, who are in charge of both tribes.
- Breath Weapon: Aang improvises one by holding a flame in front of his mouth and blowing with airbending, similar to how a flamethrower works.
- Character Rerailment: Thanks to the two worlds fusing, the characters from Aang's world are influencing their mirror counterparts, bringing them closer to their canon personalities whether they like it or not.
- Conflict Ball: Despite knowing that Zhao is in Bato's role and thus a good guy now, Aang is still openly hostile to him.
- OTOH, just as Bato was marginally more courageous (but still a dick) in the DR universe, Zhao wasn't as nice as canon-Bato. Even so, Aang should have known better.
- Covert Pervert: Sokka agreed to go to the circus the Gaang was at upon hearing from his grandmother there were girls in tights there.
- Crapsack World: Aang's world after Sozin's Comet and the new world thanks to the environmentally-damaging warfare of the Water Nation, who often pull water out of the ground to fight, turning much of the Earth Kingdom and parts of the Fire Nation into wastelands.
- Did Not Think This Through: Averted: unlike Prince Zuko, Prince Sokka thinks things out before he does them, and came a lot closer to catching Aang than Zuko ever did.
- Elemental Baggage: Waterbenders, when not near a water source, fight by pulling water from the ground and plants as well as their waterskins.
- Empowered Badass Normal: Distorted!Zuko, after Canon!Zuko somehow gives him the ability to firebend, whereas previously, he just had his swords. Yue is also this on new moons since she was blessed by the spirit Sedna, and gives her the ability to waterbend during new moons.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Katara cares a lot for her family and friends (besides her father).
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Played straight by Ty Lee, subverted by Katara, and zig-zagged by Yue depending on your POV.
- Evil Counterpart: Yue is this, in a way, to Ty Lee.
- The Exile: Sokka was not banished: instead, he left of his own will to restore his honor, which means he still has authority over the Water Tribes, unlike Zuko with the Fire Nation in canon.
- Face Palm: Aang does this around Dock/Xu/Bushi.
- Five-Man Band: Classified by the author for Book Fire
- Genre Savvy: Azula correctly guesses half of the premise of the fic. She notices how Aang seems to know whats going to happen before it does and guesses that Aang is a time traveler. Aang even admits she was pretty close.
- Gilligan Cut: Sokka says to Kanna that they will not stop searching for Aang just because she wants to make cookies for his men. The next scene has both of them in a port and Sokka saying "I can't believe you talked me into this."
- Gone Horribly Wrong: All the previous avatars wanted to do was teach Aang a lesson. They accidentally unbalance the spirit world, which causes Aang's world to begin fusing with this one, which could destroy them both.
- Happily Adopted: Suki was taken in by Kya after Kyoshi Island was taken over by the Water Tribes, and is effectively Katara and Sokka's sister. Doesn't stop her from liking Sokka, though.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: Azula regarding Aang.
- Heroic BSOD: Aang completely shuts down when he finally sees Katara in Azula's role.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Poppy and Lao Bei Fong tell Toph to go into her tunnels under their house, and refuse to go in themselves to ensure she wouldn't be found by the Water Nation, despite knowing they would be killed if they were found.
- I Hate Past Me: Aang gets frustrated with how physically weak his twelve year old body is.
- Instant Expert: Justified: when Aang is shown how to do a bending move he had learned in his world, it removes a mental block, letting him use that move as if he had never forgotten how to do it in the first place.
- Katanas Are Just Better: The Kokkan Samurai, the Water Nation equivalent to the Yu Yan Archers, use Katanas instead of bows and arrows. Yue also uses one.
- Love Triangle: Sokka, Yue, and Suki have one, as both Suki and Yue like Sokka. Surprisingly, Suki and Yue get along just fine.
- Mirror Universe: The order of Avatars is reversed (Water, Air, Fire, Earth), and the Water Tribes are trying to take over the world. There are still differences between the worlds beyond the differences between nations, though.
- The Multiverse: Roku shows Aang several other parallel universes, including one that is a Shout-Out to another fanfic.
- Never Mess with Granny: Kanna quickly defeats Ty Lee at one encounter, and is effectively Iroh's equivalent.
- Original Character: Kherra, Chan, Water Chief Seiryu (read: waterbender Sozin), Kasen...
- Razor Wind: Aang accomplishes this by combining airbending with a sword. It's powerful enough to make him wonder why air nomads never used swords before.
- Science Is Bad: The Water Tribes utilize science instead of metalworking like the Fire Nation's. The runoff from their experiments in one lab was polluting the river from 'The Painted Lady,' and causing said spirit to act similarly to Hei Bai.
- Screw Destiny: Aang refuses to let Ty Lee die, and takes a third option.
- Self-Made Orphan: Hakoda killed the last Water Emperor to become the next one himself.
- Slowly Slipping Into Evil: Distorted!Azula starts to become more and more like Canon!Azula as time goes by. However, she shows in the end she's still a good guy.
- Spanner in the Works: Ty Lee joining the Gaang completely ruins Sokka's plans to capture Aang.
- Stay in the Kitchen: The Water Nation still has this attitude towards woman, for the most part, and only a few waterbending women know how to fight: the rest work as healers or stay at the Poles.
- Tsundere: Distorted!Katara is a type A, unlike the original series, where she was a type B.
- Upbringing Makes the Hero: Inverted: Suki was taken in by the Water Tribes at a young age, and Kasen was kidnapped from Zuko and Azula's village.
- What Could Have Been: How it would have ended.
- What The Hell, Hero?: Aang for stealing Master Piandao's sword and not releasing Sokka after meeting Kanna in the Earth Kingdom.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Aang fears this trope is in effect when he fails to stop the Painted Lady from taking Azula. He manages to prove otherwise later.