Dimensional Eclipse is a Game Mod
for the FreeSpace
series. Developed by Droid803 and AndrewofDoom, this mod is notable for the speed at which everything moves and the notable shift in power towards fighters, giving it a more Shoot 'em Up
feel. It is possible to unlock and eventually fly as some of the fighters of renowned shoot em up games.
Michael "Mike" Mason is an Ordinary High School Student
who eagerly awaits the continuation of his beloved FireSpace
series. After playing it only to be disappointed, he goes to bed for finals the next day only to wake up with a girl he's never seen in his life waiting for him outside his bed. She claims to come from the future in where humanity is under threat of invasion from an alien race known as the Exarchy
. She believes the skill Mike has in FireSpace 2
multiplayer, is just what humanity of the future needs to defeat the impending Exarchy threat
. At first Mike did not believe what he was told
, but after seeing a portal in his refrigerator he quickly changed his mind. After crossing the portal into the future, he begins his new life as a pilot of the Heaven's Alliance company Ishtar.
This mod includes examples of:
- Anti-Climax Boss: The Amaterasu
- Apocalypse How: Class 1 happens to Earth during the First Event, and later Earth and Mars receive Class 5 destruction from the Amaterasu glassing the planets.
- Airstrike Impossible: Two examples.
- The attack on the pirate hideout in the mission Bunker Buster.
- The second half of Fall.
- Bland-Name Product: FireSpace, Gladius, Lightning Force
- Bonus Material: YuriFessa, the incomplete mission left in the Tech Room.
- Boss-Only Level: Bloody Talons
- Cross Over: Lots! Often justified as being as inspiration for practical designs to use for combat spacecraft.
- Cat Girl: Erika Seris aka Glaive 1
- Christmas Cake: Kayla
- Cerebus Rollercoaster: Depending what route you get in the game, the mood shifts quite drastically back and forth.
- Cores and Turrets Boss: The Big Core Rev 1.2.
- Deadpan Snarker: Shizuku
- Elite Mooks: The Lerzidi
- Expy: Sort of, from Wings of Dawn
- Baltradaans - Nordera
- Askaeldians - Fura'ngle
- Lerzidi - Zy
- Flunky Boss: Glaive 1
- Degraded Boss: The second time Glaive 1 appears she isn't the focus of the mission anymore.
- Idiosyncratic Difficulty Levels: Also happens to be a Shout-Out
- I Know Mortal Kombat: Apparently Mike's skills in FireSpace allowed him to adjust to the future without much trouble.
- Insignificant Little Blue Planet: Zigzagged. Earth isn't the center of human civilization anymore, and is a lot worse off than most of the colonies. On the other hand, after the Exarchy blasts it into a sea of fire, everyone gets quite angry.
- Genre Shift: The mission Shipping Manifests has the player flying a warship instead of a fighter.
- Knight of Cerebus: The Amaterasu
- Macross Missile Massacre
- Money Fetish: Megan
- Nintendo Hard: If you ever thought [Wings of Dawn was hard...
- Oh Crap: Everyone's reaction when they realize they weren't even fighting the main Exarchy force.
- Private Military Contractors: The Heaven's Alliance
- Puppeteer Parasite: The Askaeldians, though this is an unusual version. The original Askaeldian has no consciousness on its own, but rather undergoes something of a Fusion Dance once it has acquired a host, merging the original host's consciousness with it, as well as altering some of the host's biological structures, though not much is known otherwise, Erika is probably one of these.
- The Quiet One: Senya
- Red Shirt Army: Federated Terran Commonwealth Command or FedCom.
- Shrinking Violet: Sora
- Space Pirates: The focus of the side missions
- Take That:
- Time Travel
- Watching Troy Burn: When Earth was slagged by the Amaterasu and the heroes arrived a little late.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The Relentless and Descendent.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Yuri Fan: The captain of the CRYSTALXMISUZU.