Fanfic / Digimon Advent
"Without a doubt, you and your friends bare a huge weight to carry, for the sake of the city... perhaps, even the world."
Set in the year 3000, the Earth has vastly changed from how we know it.A disaster in 2012 left everything in near-ruins
, and now, even one thousand years on, humanity is still struggling to find it's feet. As if this wasn't bad enough
, the presense of strange creatures threatens the inhabitants of Neo Tokyo, a city that seems to be the epicenter
of the attacks.
Enter Amy, a student from England studying abroad (with more reasons to her visit beyond her studies), and Joey, a young man searching for his missing grandfather whilst working under the mysterious corporation 'Arch Angel', whom seem to be distributing Digimon out to the general public as 'digital assistants'.
Both of them become entangled in the personal quest of Barghestmon
, whom becomes their mentor, and that of the conflict between the enigmatic Arch Angel and a group of rebellious teenagers
known as The Resistance
As if that isn't enough to contend with, a deadly virus
is infecting and corrupting the Digital World
at an alarming rate, causing many of the inhabitants to turn to drastic measures
Written by Chi
with help from series co-creator DS
, and the contributions of various FDD community members, the story is on-going and promises to be HUGE.(The author would like to take this moment to personally apologize for the gap between updates in advance.)
It's also balancing a sizeable and colourful cast
on top of a plotline that is better than it sounds.
It can be found on it's website
, or on FF.net
, with a deviantart gallery found here
Tropes found in this fanfiction include:
- Attention Whore: Manimon to a T.
- Bodyguard Crush: Hinted at with Darren and Marina, possibly.
- Both Sides Have a Point: Amy in particular is possibly the one most likely to see the pros and cons between both sides in the Resistance vs. Arch Angel conflict.
- Canis Major: Cusithmon and Denkoumon.
- Canon Foreigner: Thanks to a contest, Denimon went on a little adventure of his own with the kids of Digimon Re:GENESIS
- Chivalrous Pervert: sweet baby jesus on a stick, Tanukimon!!
- Creepy Child: Kid.
- Crush Blush: Sayo is prone to these around Seth.
- Cynical Mentor: Barghestmon has shades of this complete with Training from Hell
- Deep Cover Agent: Panthermon and Yalimon are investigating Arch Angel on behalf of the Heraldic Knights Digimon group. For all intents and purposes however, unbeknownst to their actual Agent humans, they're just lovable monster companions that assist in missions involving Stuff Blowing Up
- Dreaming of Things to Come: the wall of scribbles hidden in a boiler room in Arch Angel is the result of Tarockmon taking notes on his prophetic dreams, one of which had only just recently come to pass.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: Denimon... unless you happen to be Kai, who would rather string the infamous Blue Ranger up and use him as a punch-bag.
- Followthe Chaos: How the Agents find out how close Ikkakumon really is.
- Four-Philosophy Ensemble: The "main team" (so far) as initially set-up by Barghestmon. Amy (Realist), Joey (Cynic), Marina (Optimist) and Darren (Apathetic)
- Gorgeous Gorgon: Sastrugamon is deeply inlove with Medusamon, and likely views her as this.
- Grey and Grey Morality: The Resistance and Arch Angel conflict, though the Resistance are usually portrayed as being A Lighter Shade of Grey... most of the time, depending on who you ask.
- Hope Spot: In episode 10, just when the heroes think they've peacefully resolved the problem with Sastrugamon and Medusamon, the infected Ikkakumon that had driven the pair into the city in the first place comes crashing into their make-shift hold-out and impales Medusamon. Happens again in episode 11 where a small rescue team comprised of two digimon from the Resistance, and two from Arch Angel are given a chance to save Sastrugamon from the fate awaiting him. it fails in the worst possible way.
- Implacable Ikkakumon meets Perpetual-Motion Monster: It unrelentingly pursued Sastrugamon and Medusamon out of the digital world and half-way across Neo Tokyo, without ever resting, with the sole intent to kill them as it's designated targets. It succeeded in killing one of them...
- Killed Off for Real: Medusamon as of episode 10, and now Sastrugamon in episode 11.
- La Résistance: The aforementioned Resistance, whom are resisting against Arch Angel.
- Loves the Sound of Screaming: Hideki.
- Meaningful Name: it's a Digimon fanseries, this is a given.
- Medusa: where Medusamon gets her name.
- Mind Screw: Manimon trying to wrap his head around Tarockmon's drawings of 'the future'.
- Rascally Rabbit: Manimon is full of sass and tends to cause trouble for even his own tamer on a regular basis.
- Mysterious Waif: Manimon and Laelapmon have both now bumped into a strange boy who may or may not be quite human who is oddly avoidant of humans and seems to have psychic powers.
- Official Fan-Submitted Content: The fan-made Agents that entered and won the contest became part of the story canon. There's Nero and Hulimon, Margaret and Alopexmon, Tory and Nilocrocmon, Mollie and Placomon, and lastly Greg and Diebmon. All the digimon that entered (with the consent of their owners) are slated to have some form of appearance too.
- Papa Wolf: Do NOT upset Monica or threaten her safety whilst Raijumon is around.
- Precious Puppy: Laelapmon is a spaniel-inspired digimon.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Tanukimon's plot to save Sastrugamon, before he's taken away, by staging a surprise inspection goes horribly wrong when they realize said inspection only served to have Sastrugamon's 'execution date' moved up thirty minutes before they arrived.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Ziva and Jasper, with Ziva exclusively dealing out the slaps.
- Sexy Jester: Manimon's overall reaction to Tarockmon seems to suggest this.
- Ship Tease: Several! There's Laelapmon/Barghestmon (mostly one-sided), Joey/Neon and Amy/Hiro.
- Story Arc: The recently concluded arc around two sympathetic, well-intentioned extremist villains, Medusamon and Sastrugamon was the first story arc of the series.
- Temporary Blindness: The aftermath of the battle with Teslamon left Laelapmon with badly damaged eyes and temporary blindness.
- The Inspector Is Coming: The initial plan proposed by Tanukimon in order to attempt breaking into Arch Angel in a bid to save Sastrugamon. Hilarity Ensues when the very inspectors causing the company freakout were infact Tanukimon and Cadmemon themselves disguised as the inspectors.
- The Jester: Tarockmon.
- The Main Characters Do Everything: Averted, any time a digimon attacks the city, there's a fair chance depending on how 'visible' it is (or how important it is towards a specific side), the Resistance and Arch Angel will likely be on the hunt, too.
- The Meddling Kids Are Useless: The main gang attempting to stop Medusamon and Sastrugamon led to Marina, Darren and their digimon turned to stone, Kai suffering a Heroic BSOD and later on Laelapmon almost getting killed by Ikkakumon, because Amy's plan to have Laelapmon held back as a safety measure failed.
- The Virus: despite the virus affecting the digital world sounding like a 'computer virus', the true nature of it is much harsher; a deadly illness that quickly affects digimon and strips their intelligence, rationality and emotion away whilst temporarily weakening the infected digimon before developing into a flesh-eating stage, and boosting the strength and endurance to terrifying levels. Digimon affected no longer feel the need to eat or sleep, instead driven purely on instinct and bloodlust.
- A World Half Full
- Walk into Mordor: The deepest level of Arch Angel has no security cameras, has only standalone computers to prevent from being hacked or spied on by outside parties and normally requires high level access keycards to enter. The only way Yalimon, Panthermon, Cadmemon and Tanukimon got in was making the most of the rest of a botched opportunity from a fake government inspection whilst everyone else was on the higher levels. A race against the clock and an elevator was involved.
- Wretched Hive: How the Resistance seem to view Arch Angel.
- Your Mind Makes It Real: Astralmon seems capable of this.