Fanfic: Dead of Night
Dead of the Night (also found in its entirety on the author's DeviantArt) is an Alternate Universe Hanna Is Not a Boy's Name fic by Demyrie, in which the roles of the characters are flipped.The Detective (officially Marc Raney, but he can't actually remember his real name) was found unconscious in a forest some time back, with no memories at all and a nasty Z-shaped wound on his chest, held shut by staples. Things only seem to pick up when he meets a young zombie named Hanna, who recently died and can't remember his own past. Oh, and he apparently had some connection to the Detective, when he was alive. With nothing else to go off of, the two room together and become paranormal detectives by night.Unfortunately, things are going to get very messy, very fast. A coroner named Conrad is being harassed by Worth, a crude vampire whose got more than a few connections to the rest of the cast. Two vampire hunters named Finas and Casimiro are hunting monsters in the city. A teenage sea witch is haunted by his murdered selkie mother. Oh, and someone has been killing off certain people, in incredibly violent and suspicious ways.Sadly confirmed to remain unfinished.
This fanfiction provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents – Both of Conrad's parents would count. His dad always belittled him for his love of drawing and his mother was very controlling, subjecting him to her various neurotic concerns. Vesser's mother could also count, given how she ensured her son's basic needs were met but generally was distant with him.
- Crusading Widower – Finas, who took up vampire-hunting after a couple killed his wife and daughter.
- Cursed with Awesome - According to Hanna, most werewolves consider their condition to be this, since it's pretty manageable.
- Dead Fic – Sadly confirmed on the author's DeviantArt.
- Deal with the Devil – Casimiro made one to bring Finas back to life. Apparently it cost him both one of his eyes and his soul, and he only has a few years left before he has to die.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep – The Detective tends to introduce himself just as that. He does have a legal name – Marc Raney – but he hates using it because he's sure it isn't his real one.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners – Both the case with the Detective and Hanna and Casimiro and Finas.
- Identity Amnesia – Neither the Detective nor Hanna are able to remember their pasts. In the case of Hanna, it's explained as magic blocking his memories. The Detective's seems to be a regular head injury.
- Intergenerational Friendship – Finas and Casimiro, to an extent.
- Missing Mom – Vesser's mother, a selkie, divided her time between living in the ocean and staying on land with her son. She generally wasn't much of a presence in his life. Then, she was murdered...
- More Than Mind Control – Lee firmly believes that his love for Vesser's mother went beyond the enchantments she put on him to ensure he cared for her child. Vesser disagrees with that.
- The Kindnapper – The Detective and Hanna are forced to kidnap Toni Ipres after she is bitten by a werewolf, for the safety of herself and any would-be victims of her first transformation.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia – Given the Detective's state he woke up in (his chest having been stapled shut and Vesser confirming he'd been hit on the head) and the reveal that he'd been kidnapped at some point prior, it's heavily implied to be the reason he can't remember anything.