It's not how I feel, I feelůmore. She's my reason.
A Modern AU Final Fantasy X-2 Fan Fic
, with cars, TVs and drugs. The story is first and foremost a Romance
between Paine and Rikku
. The first is a former drug-addict trying to finish college and the latter is the spoiled daughter of a rich lawyer.
It weaves together a lot of characters, most of them from the games but a few of them original, usually very secondary. Aside from the main romance, it also features Yuna and Tidus and Wakka and Lulu, both in a rather important way. These characters are quite expanded on, especially Yuna and Gippal, respectively the best friends of Rikku and Paine.
It is quite a long read: 560,000 words over 63 chapters. It is now complete and has a sequel in the works. Find it there
Under construction. Also has a character sheet
This story provides examples of:
- All Gays Are Promiscuous: Averted. Paine really isn't chasing after anyone in the first place and Rikku might be a case of If It's You, It's Okay.
- Big Damn Heroine: Paine. She saves Rikku from being raped by Auron. Later, she takes a bullet for Big Mack.
- Bittersweet Ending: Slightly. Auron has prepared an appeal and it's the last scene of the last chapter.
- Brooding Tomboy, Gentle Girl: Paine and Rikku, respectively.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Auron is easily taken down by Paine. She then proceeds to kick him repeatedly until she's pulled out of her trance by Rikku.
- Diving Save: Paine does one over Big Mack when a car pulls up in the street and someone opens fire to kill Gippal while the little girl is near him. Paine ends up taking the bullet.
- Drugs Are Bad: Averted. While an important subject and treated seriously, the author doesn't outright condemn drugs, only their abuse.
- Dynamic Entry: When Auron tries to force himself on Rikku in Chapter Fourteen, Paine bursts into the house and throws his face into the stairs' banister.
- Everyone Can See It: The stance of all of Paine's friends, mostly, regarding her relationship with Rikku in the beginning.
- Fashion Show: Two of them. Paine takes part in both, in the first to help out Yuna and in the second for money.
- Food Porn: Nearly every chapter has some drool-inducing description of food.
- Fourth Date Marriage: Averted. Paine really took her time to propose to Rikku, even though it proved to be hard at times. Took around a year.
- Grand Romantic Gesture: Paine plans one for Rikku. She gets a ring on which she carves an Al Bhed traditional courtship saying, gets her an enormous bouquet of her favorite flowers, which she says is for her graduation, gets Rikku's father approval for his daughter's hand and brings Rikku to the beach where she proposes. She accepts.
- Meet Cute: How Paine and Rikku meet for the first time.
- Moment Killer: Happens a few time between Rikku and Paine, whether it's Cid knocking at the door or a phone ringing. A notable one is when they're in a fit of passion, very inebriated and ready to go into Rikku's room and get it on. Turns out her brother was waiting in it!
- Opposites Attract: Pretty much the premise. Rikku is a colorful, bubbly, spoiled blonde and Paine is a stoic, grumpy, dark-haired orphan.
- Parental Marriage Veto: Lulu's parents don't seem to like Wakka one bit. Cid likes Paine and gives her his approval to marry his daughter.
- Rape and Switch: Although Rikku considers this being the reason she doesn't think she could be with any man anymore, it's never stated outright that it is the only reason.
- Sorry, I'm Gay: How Rikku lets Buddy know how she feels about his flirting. Not that he can take a hint.
- They Do: Lulu and Wakka. Rikku also accepts Paine's proposal in the last chapter.
- Unstoppable Rage: Paine is sometimes subject to this. Especially when she catches Auron as he's trying to rape Rikku.
- Wacky Marriage Proposal: Paine to Rikku. Not supposed to be so, it just goes a bit sideways due to unexpected events.
- With This Ring: Falls down the pier when Paine gets it out of the box with too much excitement.