is a short crossover Fan Fic
written by MoonlightBomber
. It crosses over the worlds of Kamen Rider Dragon Knight
and Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Due to certain events in "the traitor game" that happened in a space station
, Kit Taylor's and Kyouko Sakura's fortunes have intertwined. Due to similar characteristics (their transformed forms are both colored red
) and circumstances (their fathers were their reasons why they fight
), they knew each other quickly and fell in love. Soon, they became a Battle Couple
Until the curtains of truth were unfurled, and Kyouko was revealed to be a Traitor, much to Kit's dismay. And she betrays him.
Eventually, both were killed off. Or so it seems...
Before their relationship goes awry, Kit and Kyouko have to mend their new-found love before time runs out. Fortunately, there are other people who are more than willing to lend a hand — the revival of the two being their first move.
Can be read here
. A Visual Novel
(which is a director's cut
) is released some months after the original fic is published.You can download the visual novel here.
Coccinea uses the following tropes.
- Altum Videtur
- The title of the fic itself — it means "scarlet". The reason for the conception of the title is stated in the last chapter/phase.
- Survive Mode for Kyouko is known as "Modo Superesse".
- And the Adventure Continues: Sayaka, Len, and Kase try their best to keep the peace of the Multiverse in the finale, even though all remnants of Xaviax have been eliminated with Mayuri's defeat.
- Battle Couple: Kit and Kyouko; Len and Kase.
- Big Bad: Mayuri Kurotsuchi, who turns into Kamen Rider Abyss for the second phase of the final battle against him. He is responsible for the entirety of the events in the traitor game, using his Traitors as pawns to lure the rest of the inhabitants of the space station into being his guinea pigs. He's also Xaviax's last remaining commander that must be eliminated at all costs.
- Big Damn Kiss
- Big Good: Eubulon and Madoka Kaname (in her goddess form).
- The Cameo: Besides Maya, the other characters involved in the traitor game all appear in the final chapter — even Kyubey. Homura and Mami, though not named here, also make an appearance.
- Canon Welding: Mitakihara is revealed to be in Ventara — and it's the exact parallel of Kit's city on Earth.
- Continuity Nod: This fic expands on the idea presented at the finale of Kamen Rider Dragon Knight — that Xaviax's remnants are on the loose and must be contained.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: The first chapter/phase is full of deception, betrayal, and Kit's own blood (and when all's said and done, Kyouko's blood is spilled, too — since Mayuri couldn't find any more suitable people for his experiments because some of his previous victims escaped, he goes for his Traitors instead). But as time goes by, Kit and Kyouko reconcile with the help of Eubulon, Madoka, the Descender, and Kanonno — and in the end, they both give up their powers in order to live under one roof.
- Fix Fic: This fic was conceived as a result of the author's dissatisfaction for the final turn-out of the Traitor Game VI at the Hero TV Forums, wherein the Traitors won for the first time in HTVF's TG history. The central concept of Kit and Kyouko falling in love was already in effect way before the wham finale was revealed — and in the process of writing this fic, several creative juices have flown.
- Good People Have Good Sex: Unashamedly done by Kit and Kyouko in chapter 3, though the actual sex scene was cut to maintain the fic's T rating. And it comes after their duel, all thanks to the Descender and Kanonno's help.
- Gratuitous German
Kyouko: Betrügerei...ist eine wonne. (Deception... is bliss.)
- Happily Married: Who else?
- History Repeats: Kyouko being revealed to be a pawn of Mayuri, much to Kit's dismay; mirrors Kanonno being a pawn of Widdershin, much to the Descender's dismay.
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- I Should Write a Book About This: Kit and Kyouko, Happily Married, co-author a book which details their entire adventures in the traitor game up to their hard-earned ending. This scene also resembles the last episode of Kamen Rider Dragon Knight, complete with a cameo by Maya.
- Irony: Uttered by Kit when he learned that Kyouko was betrayed by Mayuri after betraying him.
- Lampshade Hanging
Kyouko: Hey, Kit. Are we gonna walk this long road by foot?
Kit: No, Kyouko. What would a Kamen Rider be without his bike?
Kyouko: Tee hee. Oh, you.
- Montages: Messages spoken by Seth Nightroad, Shinnosuke Nohara, and Gig warning Kit of his disadvantage of loving a traitor like Kyouko during the traitor game were played back during the second chapter.
- The Power of Love: What powers Dual Survive Mode, which grants both Kit and Kyouko Survive Mode. Both Eubulon and Madoka encourage this kind of power-up.
- Pre-Climax Climax
- Screw Destiny: Kit and Kyouko use The Power of Love to do this to prevent themselves from sliding into Type 1 of Sliding Scale of Free Will vs. Fate — specifically, their descent into being an evil Kamen Rider and a witch respectively.
- Sealed with a Kiss
- The titles of the five chapters (phases) are references to five choice songs that fit the chapters' respective moods. They are Too Much Love Will Kill You, Careless Whisper (the Seether version is used here in place of the George Michael original), Sad Memory (used originally in the battle against Kanonno), True Divine Battle, and Dive into the Mirror (used originally as the Japanese dub's opening theme).
- Kyouko taunted Kit with Garland's quip from Dissidia: Final Fantasy right in the first chapter.
- Kit's last two lines in the first chapter are based on the last two lines of Jose Rizal's final poem, Mi Ultimo Adiós.
- In the second chapter, the backmasked message of the song Fire on High is spoken after the montage, replacing "music" with "destructive relationship".
- At the beginning of the third chapter, Kit noticed that the healing of his fatal wound was the work of the SSS.
- Also in chapter 3, Madoka's whisper to Kit contains the famous line from Nora Aunor's movie Himala (Miracle).
- Kyouko's quote as she begins to unleash a rain of spears on Kit in their duel is also Exdeath's EX-Burst quote.
- "From start to finish – we were at a climax."
- The final battle against Mayuri is meant to invoke the final battle in SaGa 3 — well, the Nintendo DS version, that is.
- Mayuri mocking The Power of Love contains some lines of Lady Ga Ga's Bad Romance. He also takes a line from Kefka's self-help booklet.
- Kit and Kyouko's Pre-Ass-Kicking One-Liner? "Now, count your sins!"
- Sayaka performs Lightning's and the Warrior of Light's EX-Bursts, with their quotes stated verbatim. And she does them all with the Blay Rouzer.
- Mayuri's Badass Boast before the second phase of the final battle contains the subtitle of SaGa 3: "The Ruler of Space-Time".
- In response to the above, Len mentions Osama bin Laden's death.
- Kit and Kyouko's combined Final Vent borrows some aesthetics and lines from Kain's EX-Burst.
- And once Mayuri (Abyss) is defeated, he lets out the Emperor's KO quote, both in English and Japanese.
- Before Mayuri is finally sent to the Advent Void forever, he lets out Xaviax's final three words.
- The Descender and Kanonno, both satisfied with the results of their efforts to bring Kit and Kyouko back together again, utter "May your mythologies be always radiant" in the final chapter.
- Title Drop: The titles of the chapters are mentioned in the chapters themselves. Also, the title of the fic is also the title of a book co-authored by Kit and Kyouko.
- Trial by Combat: The climax of chapter 3, the duel between Kit and Kyouko. The purpose of the duel is to release their pent-up negative emotions before they turn into evil energy that will swallow them both. The emotions (and the energy) were indeed released and banished, ending the duel in a draw.
- True Love's Kiss