Fan Fic: Cheer Up Emo Girl
Cheer Up, Emo Girl
is a fanfic by FormerlyKnownasXYZed
. It is a Total Drama Island Alternate Universe Fic
. It centers around the lives of Gwen, Lindsay, and Heather as they grow up in the town of Dramatika
, Missouri. It features other characters from Total Drama as well. The story follows a timeline that starts from the day Gwen is born.
This story features examples of:
- Abusive Parents: All over the place. Gwen's mother and stepfather, both of Lindsay's parents, John Gomez, Andrew Phoenix...
- Always Murder
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Gwen to Heather in chapter 22.
- Anyone Can Die: Where do we start?!
- Asshole Victim: James Cunningham, Lindsay's father. Also, Gary and Shawn Ross.
- Ax-Crazy: Leanne (Lindsay's mother) definitely qualifies, but Shawn Ross takes this Up to Eleven. Izzy and her family qualify under this trope as well.
- Badass: Among others, Lindsay, Duncan, Todd, and Ace.
- Broken Bird: Gwen most definitely qualifies.
- Chekhov's Gunman: One of the author's apparent favorite things to do is to pull a minor or one-shot character from an earlier chapter and then give them a major role later on.
- Crapsack World: Good GOD!
- Depraved Bisexual: Leanne.
- Dumb Blonde: Averted to hell and back. In this fic, Lindsay is way, way more competent and intelligent than her canon counterpart.
- Everyone Is Bi: Like you wouldn't believe.
- Friends with Benefits: Gwen and Heather, as of chapter 24.
- Killed Off for Real: A large number of characters, most prominently Bridgette's father's boyfriend, Emily (Gwen's mother), Shelly, Amber, James, Leanne, Todd (Gwen's father), Rick (Bridgette's father), Gary, Shawn...
- Knife Nut: Lindsay. Yes, you read that right.
- Downplayed in later chapters, where she carries a knife more out of necessity rather than fascination.
- Lampshade Hanging: A big one happens in Chapter 35 when Jhonen Hodder tells his mom about how messed up the city is.
Jhonen: Mom, I don't know if you've noticed this, butů this city isn't like most cities, in the US, Ireland, or wherever else. It's a strange place where lesbians are everywhere, all girls are whores, every older woman is a MILF, and incest is regarded as fairly regular shit.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Lindsay.
- Odd Friendship: Gwen and Lindsay. Also Gwen and Heather, before they get a Relationship Upgrade.
- Lindsay and Heather, the completion of the True Companions trio, do not qualify, as they would be much more likely to be friends (and in the actual Canon, are friends for a while.)
- Pedophile Priest: Father Fletcher.
- Pervert Dad: Joe.
- Police Brutality: Smiley.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Gary Ross, and to a lesser extent, his brother Shawn.
- Really Gets Around: Too many characters to list. This includes our heroines, too.
- Relationship Upgrade: Gwen and Heather in Chapter 37. They were friends from Chapters 12-24 and Friends with Benefits from 24-37.
- Stacy's Mom: Several could qualify, but most notably Leanne, Amber, and Ronnie.
- Self-Deprecation: Occurs when characters, usually Lindsay, are making fun of a Fanfic written by Bridgette, while inadvertently making fun of the meta story itself, by pointing out flaws in Bridgette's story which are traits also shared by the meta story.
- The Stoner: Several characters, among them Lindsay, Gwen, and Amber.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: Bridgette's father's boyfriend
- True Companions: Gwen, Lindsay, and Heather.
- The Unfavorite: Gwen, compared to her little brother (when they were living with their mother, anyway).
- Unusual Euphemism: Geoff tells Ezekiel that Lindsay "likes tacos more than hot dogs".
- You Should Have Died Instead: Lindsay's mom says this to her concerning her uncle's death.