Change of Circumstances
is a Death Note AU
one-shot in which Light was raised at Wammy's House and so grows up happy and well-adjusted. He only wished that L was around more...
Change of Circumstances provides examples of:
- The Ace: L and Light
- Alternate Universe Fic
- Amusement Park: Light rents a whole park for a day so that L can safely visit one.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Light, literally, because L got him training in five different martial arts as a birthday present.
- Badass Biker: L gets Mello a dirt bike for Christmas.
- Big Brother Mentor: L to the Wammy's kids.
- Big Brother Worship: The Successor's with L.
- The Bully: Mello
- Child Prodigy/Teen Genius: The residents of Wammy's House.
- Childhood Friend Romance: L and Light
- Collective Identity: L decides for Light’s 18th birthday present that he’ll share the title of L with Light and they would be partners.
- Convenience Store Gift Shopping: L usually doesn't have to worry too much come Christmas time "Wammy? Technology. Roger? Booze. Near? Puzzle, game, model. Mello? Don't worry, he'd tell you. Matt? Game." Subverted when L finds he can't do that for Light. Shopping for Light is hard because he doesn't have a singular obsession like the others and he has to actually think about what to get him. Also everyone but Light always gives L candy and while L likes candy that means the gifts he receives from Light are always more personal and meaningful.
- Dysfunction Junction: Wammy's House.
Light: Do you know what it's like to be left alone here with these people? They're all stupid and crazy.
- Even Anti-Heroes Have Loved Ones: L with his successors but especially Light.
- Extranormal Institute: Wammy's House
- Fiction500: Wammy, L, also Light apparently made some very good investments so he can afford to rent out an entire amusement park for a day.
- For Want of a Nail: Light is raised at Wammy's House.
- Genre Savvy: L is aware that The Paragon Always Rebels and so takes steps to preempt this by always showing Light how much he means to him and offering him an equal partnership.
- Gift-Giving Gaffe: L fears committing one seeing as he only sees Light and his successors during the holidays. Also Mello gets Light "Sassy Girl" hair care products.
- He Is All Grown Up: L has this reaction when he returns to Wammy's House and sees Light isn't a child anymore.
- It Was a Gift: Light gifts L with a silver signet L ring engraved with L's favorite Sun Tzu quote "To Safety of To Ruin" and L gets Light a very fine and expensive watch with Light's favorite Sun Tzu quote "The Commander stands for the virtues of wisdom, sincerity, benevolence, courage and strictness."
- The Jail Bait Wait: Light assumes that this would be his present on his 18th birthday. L was clueless. Hilarity Ensues.
L: Light-kun, is there a particular reason you presumed I would show up unannounced at the stroke of midnight the moment you became legal to ravish you?
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: Inverted. For L there's Light... and his successors.
- One True Love: L realizes that even though he only ever sees Light for a few weeks a year Light knows him better than anyone.
- Only Friend: Light and L for each other.
- Orphan's Ordeal: In this universe Light lost his family. Also, all the residents of Wammy's House
- Parental Abandonment: See above.
- Politeness Judo: How Light handles Mello.
- The Rival: Mello declares himself to be Light's rival when Light becomes number one at Wammy's House. Light, for his part, ignores him.
- Shout-Out: Light and L share their favorite quotes from The Art of War.
- Slash Fic: It's L/Light
- Strange Minds Think Alike: Light and L.
- They Fight Crime: L and Light.
- The Unfavourite: Subverted, the other successors assume that Light is the most unfortunate and least loved of them when they see the gift L got for him. They couldn't be more wrong.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: L and Light. Light is the only successor that treats L like a peer, the only one he can argue with or spar against, and they view each other as equals.
- WAFF: it's unrepentant fluff.
- When You Coming Home, L?: Light to L because he rarely sees him growing up because he's working cases.
- Wife Husbandry: L with Light. However since L is hardly ever around in person when Light is growing up they aren't subject to the Westermarck Effect.