This story starts exactly where you'd expect it to start: drunk, in a library.Carpe Brewski
is a College Alternate Universe Fic
of X-Men: First Class
written by Gyzym
Noteworthy not only for being very well-written slash
with remarkably good Unresolved Sexual Tension
between the Just Friends
leads, but also for being a good example of Wacky Fratboy Hijinks
due to a very strong basis
in Animal House
It is currently a work in progress and can be found here
and has a Bonus Material Tumblr
run by the author here
.Warning: Spoilers for an ongoing work below.
Carpe Brewski provides examples of:
- Alcoholic Parent: Charles's mother
- All There in the Manual: The Bonus Material isn't necessary for the enjoyment of the story, but without it, details about the characters would be missed, such as Alex and Armando's future daughter and the dressing habits and beer choices of the ABG members.
- Alternate Universe Fic
- Badass: Detective Nick Fury
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Scott and Logan take it to a new level.
- Betty and Veronica: Steve and Erik
- Bi the Way: Raven. Charles manages to be surprised by this despite already having been told, leading to a minor What the Hell, Hero? moment.
- Bonus Material: The above Tumblr, which contains Q&A posts with the characters, Fan-Art, Future Fic, and reposts of highly appropriate TFLN graphics.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Both Charles' attraction to Erik, and the Oxford application.
- Casting Gag: Kevin Bacon was in both Animal House and X-Men: First Class.
- Cool Dean: Dean Stark
- Crossover: of the Fusion Fic variety with Animal House
- Dissonant Serenity: Scott in chapter 3. The pledges and Logan are passed out in the next room, the house is presumably trashed, and he's sitting at the kitchen table eating toast and reading the paper.
- Drinking Game: A Hanukkah Drinking Game
- Embarrassing Nickname: Invoked
- Everyone Can See It
- Everyone Is Gay or Bi: Not very explicit, but all the main characters and several of the secondary characters apply.
- Fan-Art: Has attracted a large amount of great fan-made art.
- Friend Versus Lover:
- Good Is Boring: Steve
- Hangover Sensitivity
- He Is Not My Boyfriend
- Hidden Depths: Logan in particular, though presumably all the pledges as well
- Hipster: Scott, World's Douchiest Houseplant
- I Didn't Mean To Turn You On
- Incompatible Orientation: According to Charles.
- Informed Judaism: Played with. Jewish holidays have an apparent habit of being turned into drinking games.
- Initiation Ceremony
- Innocent Cohabitation
- Lap Pillow
- Love Epiphany: A subtle one with Erik
- Peking Duck Christmas
- Romantic False Lead: Steve
- Serious Business: Brotherhood to Erik
- Shout-Out: To the film, the comics, Animal House, Cash Cab, Terry Pratchett, and various others.
- Sleep Cute
- Sorry Ociffer: Only less with the "sorry" in Erik's case.
- The Stoner: Nearly everyone at some point, but special mention goes to Pyro
- True Companions
- Unresolved Sexual Tension
- Wacky Fratboy Hijinks: A given with the Animal House ties, but original and hilarious all the same.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Charles gets quite a few of them and is usually called out by Raven.
- Whole Episode Flashback: Chapters 4 & 7
- Wild Teen/Early-Twenties Party: Many nights at the ABG Frathouse