Shining Armor has been married for one month, and things are a little difficult for him. Despite his loving relationship—and their assistance in defeating both a changeling army
and an evil king
—life is anything but happy for the new husband. Shining Armor's new position has him swamped with the duties of a pencil-pusher; he can't seem to shake these disturbing, recurring dreams; and, worst of all, he's having a little bit of...bedroom trouble.Yes, that kind
of bedroom trouble.
With much prodding from his concerned wife, Shining Armor signs up to see a sexual counselor. Shining Armor's sure he doesn't need it, though. What sort of issues could he possibly have?
Cadence in a Minor is a mature fanfic of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
The story follows Shining Armor in his journey of self-doubt and self-discovery following the events of the show. What sets this fanfic apart is its mature handling of sensitive subject matter, and its mastery of Mood Whiplash
: the story has standout comedy, sad moments, and horrifying scenes—sometimes all in the same chapter
Written by Isseus and still ongoing, the fic can be found here.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: The Loins Sleep Tonight when it comes to bedding his wife, but self-stimulation helps Shining Armor get some relief.
- Adorkable: Princess Luna's attempt to bond with her new nephew are both awkward and incredibly endearing. Twilight Sparkle is also her usual Adorkable self as well.
- Bad Dreams: Both of the newlyweds have them regarding their experiences during "A Canterlot Wedding." Princess Cadence has nightmares about being trapped in the caves beneath Canterlot again, and Shining Armor has nightmares about being brainwashed by Chrysalis. Among other things...
- Bigger Bad: Queen Chrysalis is behind almost everything bad that happens in the story but does not actually appear in person.
- Black Comedy: Some of the comedy is just straight laughs, and but a lot is dark humor.
- Blue Blood: Shining Armor is a commoner who married a princess. Trying to fit in with the nobility is pretty hit-and-miss for him.
- Brother-Sister Incest: Shining Armor does not actually desire his sister in a sexual way, but eventually masturbates while fantasizing about her in an attempt to vent his sexual frustration. The shame of doing this drives him to tears and sends him spiraling into self-loathing.
- Cerebus Syndrome: Starts off silly, remains somewhat silly while continuously approaching darker themes.
- Does Not Know Her Own Strength: As an alicorn, Cadance physically outpowers Shining Armor and often forgets herself, accidentally hurting her husband. Including breaking his ribs when she accidentally hugs him too hard.
- Double Standard: Rape—Female on Male: Averted. Shining's rape by Chrysalis is treated as a horrendous event by Shining himself and his therapist as well, and there's no doubt it's responsible for a lot of his current issues.
- Fan Disservice: Despite its "mature * sex" tag, this is no clopfic. There are definitely sex scenes, but Shining Armor having graphic nightmares about being raped by Queen Chrysalis or him venting his sexual frustration by fantasizing about his own sister, while hating himself and crying are not particularly palatable.
- The Ghost: Queen Chrysalis, despite having more influence on the story than almost any other character, never appears in person: see Bigger Bad, above.
- He-Man Woman Hater: Part of Shining Armor's discomfort in his new role as prince is that he is now surrounded by mares like his wife and the other two princesses who are not only politically influential, but as alicorns also physically intimidate him, wounding his masculine pride. There's a lot of indication that this isn't usual behavior on Shining Armor's part, and that he's projecting some of his post-rape trauma onto them.
- Interspecies Romance: A soldier under Shining Armor's command has begun dating a giffon. Shining Armor and Cadence might count themselves, depending on how you view alicorns in relation to the rest of the ponies.
- In Vino Veritas: Shining Armor ends up spilling a lot more beans than he intended after a night drinking with his soldier buddies.
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: Shining Armor can't get it up for his wife, and it's why he eventually goes to therapy in the first place.
- Not If They Enjoyed It Rationalization: Played with, and for drama as well. Shining Armor directs this attitude towards himself, displaying self-hatred for the fact that his rape by Chrysalis was pleasurable for him—so much so that his own wife is sexually unsatisfying in response.
- Non Indicative Title: His name doesn't appear in the title, but Shining Armor is the main character. Princess Cadance is, however, probably the most important supporting cast member.
- No Social Skills: Princess Luna, and how.
- Rank Up: Shining Armor was recently promotoed.
- Recurring Dreams: Shining Armor's nightmares.
- Sex Slave: Chrysalis turned a brainwashed Shining Armor into little more than this.
- Sliding Scale of Silliness Versus Seriousness: Starts on the "silly" side, but the deeper we probe into Shining Armor's issues the further we drift down to the "serious" side.
- Talking in Your Dreams: Princess Luna visits Shining Armor during some of his dreams, and the two chat it up quite nicely.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted, Shining Armor getting his issues out through therapy forms the backbone of the plot.
- Wham Episode: Chapter 4. Shining Armor admits to himself and his counselor that he was raped by Chrysalis.