By the Horns
) by Stephen T "master arminas" Bynum (story only thread
) is a Battletech
Back in 2596, the Taurian Concordat was on its last legs, having fought the 20-year Reunification War against the might of the Star League but ultimately failing to prevail. Admiral Helena Vickers, last surviving flag officer of the Taurian Concordat Navy, ordered her battleship TCS Samantha Calderon
on a final counterattack against the enemy in order to buy time for an escaping flotilla.
Fate has other plans for them, however, and a misjump sends them four centuries into the future, to 3025. With the knowledge and expertise on board, including a full data core, the future of the Concordat may be changed entirely.
But what fate gives, it can take away, and the news that the Taurians have a Warship anew quickly spreads to the rest of the Inner Sphere, drawing much unwanted attention...
This fanfic contains examples of the following:
- Batman Gambit: The knowledge about the core was deliberately leaked in order to force the other Successor States into rushing to get at it on the Concordat's schedule.
- Busman's Holiday: Phil Sheridan was supposed to be on Tauron on holiday, not getting involved in secret operations.
- Enemy Mine: Capellan, Davion, Free Worlds League, Kuritan, Lyran and Canopus secret agents end up working together to prevent an attack on the data core.
- Expy: Maxwell Danford to Max Smart of Get Smart.
- Fun with Acronyms: Taurian Institute of Technology and Science (TITS) and Samantha Calderon Academy of Research and Sciences (SCARS).
- He Knows Too Much: Done by a ComStar man to the technicians, who is stopped before he can get them all.
- In Universe Nickname: "Saucy Sam" for the Samantha Calderon.
- Mercy Kill: Done to some Men On Fire.
- Mythology Gag: At the first meeting about Samantha, the leader of the Far Lookers asks if funds are going to be cut from them again, referencing canon Thomas's tendency to do so.
- Occam's Razor: Invoked in order to get the Successor States to act on "more plausible" but wrong information.
- Oh Crap: A ComStar guard has this reaction about a Taurian unit's insignia, previously unseen outside of museums, moments before they attack.
- Running Gag: The jokes about SAFE's incompetence.
- Spit Take: A ComStar member has this reaction to catching sight of Samantha.
- Title Drop: "Donít push us into going further, or by the Horns, you will regret those actions forever.Ē