Fan Fic: Between Minds
Between Minds (alternate link here) is a crossover between Portal and Half-Life by 3theCaptain. It follows the main characters of both stories after the events of Portal 1 and Half-Life 2: Episode 2 as they meet, interact, and face the challenges posed by a post-apocalyptic world.Chell escapes from the Relaxation Center and receives some cryptic advice; meanwhile, Alyx and Barney juggle conflicts at White Forest while Gordon gets tangled up in plans at the Arctic. With the Combine threat hanging over their heads everyone races to the Borealis to determine humanity's future, but the G-man has plans of his own...
Between Minds contains examples of:
- After-Action Healing Drama: Sam's foot gets blown to bits, putting her at risk of death by blood loss, so they take her to a surgeon. Doubles as exposition of how medkits work.
- All Your Base Are Belong to Us: A major battle at White Forest.
- Always a Bigger Fish: A Combine battalion captures Gordon only for an alien water creature to slaughter them all.
- Badass Driver: Alyx with the stick-shift jalopy and helicopter.
- Big Damn Heroes: Alyx and Barney when they navigate an aerial battle against several gunships with a single helicopter, to drop an EMP on some Advisors.
- Demolitions Expert: Sam, a short, Asian teammate who takes glee in blowing as many things up as she can.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: Chell dreams of laying in a wheat field, even though the story takes place before she gets there at the end of Portal 2.
- EMP: Alyx and Barney, as detailed above.
- Gender-Equal Ensemble: Alyx, Barney, Sam, and Marcus, as well as Gordon and Chell.
- Genius Bonus: Adlivun Electric, the laboratory much of the story centers around, is located on a glacier in northeast Greenland. In Inuit mythology, Adlivun is a frozen wasteland dead souls are sent to for purification before eternal rest: essentially Inuit purgatory.
- Goggles Do Something: Gordon's iconic black glasses, of the heads-up display variety.
- Headbutt of Love: Alyx and DOG as she's saying goodbye.
- Hey, Catch!: From Chell to Gordon with a xen crystal, which she has no idea is extremely dangerous.
- Imminent Danger Clue: The water wasn't flowing down...
- Indy Escape: A collapsing tunnel is good incentive to run.
- Non-Action Guy: Marcus helps main characters during battle by carrying things, opening doors, navigating, operating shields, and applying first aid.
- Not in This for Your Revolution: Chell just wants her freedom, who gives it to her or what their goals are don't matter to her.
- Poor Communication Kills: Neither Chell nor Gordon speak, and they're expected to work together without actually knowing who the other is. This causes problems.
- Shown Their Work: So extensive it should have its own page.
- In-Game Research: The layout of White Forest, the weapons, and the helicopter specifications are all accurate, plus overlooked details like Hoopy the Shower Curtain Ring and Judith Mossman's bracelet, as well as cut material like the Hydra and Air Exchange factories.
- Real World Research: First aid, physics equations, strings of computer startup code, translations into Danish, the operation of a helicopter, and the mechanics of a fully-functional EMP to name a few.
- Symbiotic Possession: Chell finds a single sphere with two personalities. It's an inversion that's Played for Laughs: although they get along well with each other, it's more accurate to say that the demon is being possessed by a little girl.
- Teleporter Accident: True to the original stories, has a few examples itself.
- Gordon is sent through the teleporter just fine, but moments later it mysteriously, irreparably malfunctions, giving Alyx a shock in the process.
- Chell is sucked through a strange portal at the Borealis dry dock after messing with it.
- Those Two Guys: Sam and Marcus, who have the short/tall, female/male balance, along with a bit of lampshade-hanging and comic relief.Sam: You might have to actually shoot something this time, big guy!
Marcus: You might have to shut up.
- Unfamiliar Ceiling: How the first chapter begins with Chell.