TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Fan Fic: Battlefield Gallia
Think of the most famous conflict of the last century.
Now think of it with some changes.
An ongoing fic concerning a rewritten history,
told from the points of view of Original Characters
such as Captain Von Groebel, and Dishonorably Discharged
Fredrick "Fritz" Adler, of the German army, and established characters such as Alicia Melchiott, and the occasional real life German
and Italian dictator
, though the former only appeared in the geopolitical setting-up of things.
- And I'd damn well better know all this. I'm the guy writing it.
It's now completed, but if you want to read it, be my guest, read it here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5430641/1/Battlefield_Gallia
- AKA47: Bengal Tigers are the real-life King Tiger, though they only use the name "Bengal Tiger" from the German point-of-view. Played straight with the M1941 Johnson and St G-44 (which are referred to by the names M4 Johnson and St G-41.)
- All Germans Are Nazis: Averted; in fact, despite being set in the Wehrmacht during 1939-1945, the 9th has a pretty distinct lack of Nazis.
- Alternate History: Starting with Gallia. Then it's all downhill, history-wise, from there.
- Attempted Rape: Adler, to Alicia. Word of God is that Selka did it to prevent him from going out with Alicia/Adler. It seems to have worked.
- Anyone Can Die: At a slow rate, albeit, but they can all die. Including Welkin.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: Klaus Werner
- Cameo: Look for Sergeant Schultz from Hogan's Heroes in there.
- Crossover: With Inglourious Basterds and Codename Panzers.
- Creator Backlash: From the Author's FF.net page: "Battlefield Gallia sucks. Stop reading it. It was OK back when I was writing it, but now I really regret writing it. I'm going to be remembered as the guy who made the VC/WWII crossover."
- Dirty Communists: When the 9th goes against the Russian army, you can predict what their overall opinion of the Russians are.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Selvaria is disgusted when a Russian Commisar fires upon his own men.
- Expy: Schneider; He's a Pyro, after all.
- Face-Heel Turn: Sargent Adler gets one, as a result of his liking of Alicia, and what that results in.
- Kill 'em All: Virtually everybody in the unit dies, and the deaths of the more important characters, like Welkin's, Isara's or even Alicia's, are mentioned almost off-handedly.
- Shout-Out: The name, to games such as Battlefield 1942.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: The Author confessed that Bergmann's squad B could be a fairly literal take on the "Squad" part. They are later killed off-screen in the battle of Stalingrad.
- Stalker with a Crush: Adler is heavily implied to be one of these.
- Tank Goodness: Assault Matildas, Bengal/King Tigers.
- Those Wacky Nazis / Nazis with Gnarly Weapons / Stupid Jetpack Hitler : Hmm...
- Translation Convention: You can generally tell the fic's current POV by whether or not VC characters are speaking German (or, are speaking with accents).
- Doubles, at least to me, the Author, as a degree of Fetish Fuel. Come now, there was reasoning behind me giving Marina a German Accent.
- Putting on the Reich: 2nd Lieutenant Klaus Werner. Before he gets sniped, at least.
- Adler, to a degree, after what he becomes a bad guy, since he steals an SS Officer's uniform and Identification.
- One Steve Limit: Averted, and played with. There are multiple characters named "Hans" (Hans von Groebel, Hans Bieber, Hans the porcavian, etc), and the rule is then bent on itself with Edward Nelson, who responds to Eddie (Compare to Edy Nelson). He's a Bren Gunner, and his name is lampshaded.
- Edward: Did I ever tell you about my cousin who...
- Smith: Yes, you've told me about Edy thirty times now!
- Rare Guns: The M50 Reising submachine gun and M1941 Johnson appear in the fic, seemingly as standard US Army munitions.
- Wade Thunk: US Army 501st Infantry Battalion. Sergeant Adam Wade to Harold Maldonado.