Fan Fic / Back to the Future Prequel
Back to the Future Prequel
is a fanfic by Female Doc on fanfiction.net. It appears in the Fan Fic Recommendations
Six-year-old Marty McFly runs into Doctor Emmett Brown, and, in spite of community disapproval, the two begin to bond. But the pair are about to be hunted by a vengeful figure from Doc's dark past.
Back to the Future Prequel provides examples of:
- Adult Fear: Hank Webb kidnaps and almost kills Marty.
- Adults Are Useless: No teachers or parents ever interfere in Hank's bullying, but Doc and Hank keep it a secret.
- Call-Back: At a particularly low point, Doc rereads Teen!Marty's letter from the first film to remind himself that he made a positive difference for someone.
- Call-Forward: Marty mentions an interest in time travel.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Doc accidentally crippled a girl when his flying machine went awry. This accounts for some of his bad reputation.
- Forbidden Friendship: Lorraine is initially nervous about Marty and Doc's relationship because of the rumors and because of the age gap, but when Doc helps Marty learn to read and does not hurt him during the times Marty is alone with him, she loosens up.
- Hand Gagging: Hank does this as he kidnaps Marty from Doc's garage.
- It's Not You, It's My Enemies: Doc tries to break off with Marty to protect him from community disapproval and worse.
- It Will Never Catch On: Marty tells Doc about a time he suggested to a friend that they play that Superman went back in time, only for the friend to dismiss it as stupid. Four years after the fanfic's setting, Superman came out, and guess what happened?
- Malicious Slander: Hank harasses Doc by spreading nasty stories about his sanity and activities.
- Moral Myopia: Hank. Lampshaded by Doc, who wonders how Hank can care so much about Doc accidentally crippling Holly while being completely unconcerned about threatening Marty.
- My Greatest Failure: Doc still regrets the day one of his inventions malfunctioned and crippled Holly Webb.
- Nobody Calls Me "Chicken"!: Marty, even though he's scared of "The Doctor", spray-paints his house to avoid being called scared.
- Papa Wolf: Doc manages to subdue Hank and swim hundreds of yards through icy water to save Marty from drowning.
- Please, I Will Do Anything!: Doc begs Hank to release Marty, telling him "I'll do anything you say." Hank doesn't listen.
- Post-Victory Collapse: Doc passes out after pulling Marty from the water.
- Stalker Without A Crush: Hank, who follows Doc even in public places to intimidate and bully him.
- Suicide Dare: Hank tells Doc to kill himself, triggering a flashback where Hank called him on Thanksgiving and said the same thing.
- There Are No Therapists: Played with. Lorraine suggests sending Marty to a therapist to help him get over what happened, but George comments that being forced to talk to a stranger about the trauma would make Marty more traumatized. He never visits one.
- Troubled Backstory Flashback: Doc spaces out several times, each time remembering either the accident or a subsequent encounter with Hank.
- Would Hurt a Child: Hank kidnaps the six-year-old Marty, threatens to shoot him if he doesn't stop screaming for help, and eventually throws him into an icy lake.