Fan Fic: Awesomeness Of The Ocarina
Awesomeness of the Ocarina
"Oh, Saria is a crazy stalker, which is odd," [Link] answered, "Normally in Zelda fan fiction, the Zora Princess Ruto is the stalker, but Saria is the author's attempt to be original and invoke an alternate character interpretation based on Saria's running towards the player character's house in the game. It's going to interesting what Ruto's characterization will be once we hit the Jabu-Jabu arc of this story."
"Link", in a breaking the fourth wall moment.
is the shortened title to an Ocarina of Time Fan Fic
The full name of the story is The Legend of Zelda: Awesomeness of the Ocarina: The Shameless Deconstruction and Parody of a Well Respected Game
. It is Exactly What It Says on the Tin
, and follows Link and Navi's adventure as they travel through time and defeat Ganondorf.
It's heavily filled with alternate interpretations of the setting and characters
that are not only humorous, but can also work in a more serious work. This includes Hyrule being known as "The Holy Land of Hyrule" and it actually being a borderline Wretched Hive
. According to the story, the King of Hyrule is competent enough to make the country a more prosperous place, but if you know the story of Ocarina of Time, you know this will not last.
Because the story is very recent, there are not many chapters. The Link and Navi are still currently in the Kokiri Forest, as well as the story following an interesting sub-plot involving Zelda attempting to warn her father of Ganondorf's future treachery.
This fanfiction provides examples of:
- Alternate Character Interpretation: (Sort of) In universe example, as noted in the quote above. The author particularly characterized Saria as Link's Stalker with a Crush, and calls out other writer's portayal of Ruto as a stalker.
- Mido and Link are full blown rivals, instead of Mido simply being Link's bully.
- Anachronism Stew: The Fairy Sniper Rifle is a primary example of this trope.
- Anything That Moves: Queen Gohma. And then she eats whoever she has sex with.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: From the author's notes:
The people [of Hyrule] are not above bribery, stealing, cheating, fighting, adultery, and parking in handicapped spaces.
- Ax-Crazy: Princess Zelda of all people seems to be headed in this direction.
- Berserk Button: Do not disrespect the Deku Tree in front of Navi. Don't even insult homosexuals and the disabled in front of her. Don't get in her way when she is trying to get somewhere. Navi is just a very angry person.
- Butt Monkey: Navi so far, she doesn't particularly like it.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Link, at times.
- Deconstructive Parody: Its in the title.
- Fantastic Racism: It's noted in the chapter intros that most of the races of Hyrule hate each other. This is pronounced the most by Navi, who hates the Kokiri with a passion.
- Fan Fic: Of course it is!
- Genre Savvy: Link, especially with his ability to break the fourth wall.
- Hidden Elf Village: The Kokiri Village
- Deconstructed: The Kokiri Village is within the Kokiri Forest, which is itself a small region within the entire Lost Woods. The Kokiri, being children without a proper parental figures run wild within the forest and cause trouble for everyone.
- Jerk Ass: The entire Kokiri Forest, including Link and Navi themselves.
- Long Title
- Medium Awareness: Link has it... sometimes. "Oh… sometimes I have these bouts when I have the ability to break the fourth wall. It's not permanent, but it allows me to understand the ludicrous yet epic nature of this story. And just to warn you, I won't remember this conversation."
- Mega Corp.: Deku Corp.©
- Noodle Incident: Or Egg Incident, rather.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Link gives an epic one to Mido, all the while inverting it into a "The Reason I'm Awesome Speech."
"Why yes, young Mido. I wield it tightly so that I may smite any enemy that stands in my way. And most importantly is the symbol that these two items make when they are placed together. It is the symbol of your defeat by my hands once again. It proves that your status as my rival is but a joke delivered by a sad clown and is dismissed just as quickly. It tells the depressing story of how a young man, you, constantly tries to face the invincible giant, me, in a battle of wits, yet even though you keep trying and keep trying, your sheer suckatude always causes you to be crushed by my sheer awesomeness. I weep for you, young Mido. I weep for others like you, who feel as though you could possibly defeat awesome main characters such as myself. In fact, maybe I can consider myself as a Mary Sue compared to you. Your shittiness as a character, no… as a soul in this universe, is only useful for one thing, and that is to glorify my existence. Lastly, this sword and shield is a reminder that no matter what you accomplish in your life, compared to me, you will always and forever be shit."
- Stalker with a Crush: Saria
- Tempting Fate: Inverted and discussed. "Even though Navi tempted fate with the dreaded "It can't get any worse" stock phrase, things actually got better. Link noticed this, but he didn't want to push his luck."