Fanfic / Asuka Quest
Asuka Quest is a quest thread run on the BROB forum of Space Battles
by The One Moiderah
. The first thread is available here
while the final thread is available here
The basic premise of the quest is that an unknown person with no memory of their previous life wakes up one morning in the body of Asuka from Neon Genesis Evangelion
, shortly after her arrival in Tokyo 3. Her actions, controlled by the collective votes of members of the Space Battles
forum, almost instantly lead to massive derailments of the Evangelion plot. Usually in ways that caused her far more problems than they solve.
The quest covers the new Asuka's attempts to survive her battles with the Angels, prevent Third Impact, and solve the various psychological issues plaguing the Eva cast. It also features glaring abuse of the laws of physics via AT fields, extreme cat obsession, and frequent massive Mood Whiplash
This quest provides examples of:
- Battle in the Centre of the Mind: The final confrontation between Asuka and Arael is one of these.
- Body Horror: Asuka suffers from increasing amounts of this as the quest progresses, thanks to the real Asuka's mother influencing her Evangelion to replace her flesh with angelic tissue whenever her synchronisation increases too far, in an attempt to gain enough influence over Asuka's body to drive Quest!Asuka out.
- Cute Kitten: Asuka is obsessed with these, and by extension with all cats. The fact that the real Asuka isn't almost gives her away to Kaji
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: Several ways to cause these via abuse of AT fields were discovered in simulators. As were several techniques theorised to be capable of destroying reality.
- Everyone Is Gay: Almost every relationship entered into by any character in the course of the quest is same-sex. It's even Lampshaded by Mari once she arrives- she jokes about there being a bet that NERV Japan is 'full of lesbians'.
- Groundhog Peggy Sue: It was discovered near the end of the quest that Kaworu had in fact been stuck in one of these, and was currently on his fifteenth or sixteenth attempt.
- Flat "What.": A common reaction to Asuka's more over the top stunts and AT tricks.
- Idiot Ball: Grabbed by Asuka on several occasions, most notably when she forces Shinji to drink alcohol before the fight with Matareal, out of belief that it might improve his piloting.
- Due to the nature of the quest, all of these instances can also be said to be caused by the Space Battles community THEMSELVES grabbing the Idiot Ball. Though in context, it was a decision made after a string of continually successful Crazy Awesome, so enough people just went with it on a whim without realizing how significant the implications would be.
- Mind Hive: Both Space Battles!Asuka and the original Asuka share a body throughout the course of the quest. This also allows them to alter their dreams however they see fit, leading to many moments that are both awesome and funny.
- Mind Rape: Arael, to the whole of Japan including the other pilots, easily earning it the title of 'most hated Angel'.
- Mood Whiplash: Frequent, to the point where posters started becoming paranoid after any time anything WAFFy happened.
- Oh, Crap!: A very common occurrence in battles, both for Asuka and for her opponents.
- Running Gag: Many of them:
- 'Giant Alien Starfish'
- 'Huggles Teh Rei'
- The Cat Computer Virus
- Invisible Text in the updates
- Shmuck Bait: Updates frequently contained invisible text (visible only when highlighted) that revealed useful information or good options. Then one set of invistext was revealed to be a message from the Angel Arael only after the voters had noticed and voted for it. Mind Rape ensued.
- Video Game Caring Potential: Most of the decisions were fueled by this. Those that weren't were for Crazy Awesome. Notably, at one point, everyone (including the Space Battle audience) was shocked by how much more mature and emotionally healthy Shinji was compared to his canon counterpart, thanks to the audience's influence.
- Warm And Fuzzy Feeling: A regular occurrence during Rei and Asuka's interactions after they start dating.