The Alternian Nation series, a Homestuck
fanfic by celynBrum
, partially based on the TV Show Alien Nation
. It begins with Home Is Where The Heart Is
, and it's sequel All's Fair in Love and War
is currently being posted every Wednesday. The third full story in the series, Blood is Thicker Than Water, is currently being written and has not yet been posted.
In Home is Where the Heart Is, Feferi devised a desperate plan to escape Alternia. Hijack a ship, load it with as many trolls willing to board, and run so far and so fast not even they have any idea where they are going. They crash-land on Earth's surface after a long and bloody voyage. When the story begins the Alternians have more or less been integrated into Los Angeles. But it's not perfect; homeless Alternians wander the streets, prejudice runs rampant, and someone is going around killing trolls and painting complex murals with their blood. Spread across all walks of life from the top of the society to the dirtiest of alleyways the Trolls do their best to survive day to day while humans do their best to adapt to the new additions.
All's Fair and Love and War picks up where the last story left off. This time the danger is much more sinister, going for the defenseless among them. Comatose Aradia has been kidnapped, leading the characters into the complex world of criminal politics against basically everyone's better judgement. Time is running out fast, and there are hints that this kidnapping is about a lot more than money...
Another piece of note is the one-shot Christmas Miracles
, focusing on Gamzee and Karkat's utter bewilderment at the Holiday seasons and how getting locked in a Mall at night night has a lot of untended consequences.
- Abusive Parents: Karkat and Gamzee's foster father, who beat Karkat, stole Gamzee's medication money to spend on beer, and was generally a shitty guardian. Karkat eventually ended up bashing him over the head with a toaster after he started to turn his violence on Gamzee, leading them to end up on the streets.
- An Ass Kicking Christmas: Karkat and Gamzee have one in the prequel fic "Christmas Miracles".
- Ax-Crazy: Half the Highbloods on the ship lost their minds when the sopor ran out, leading to the "Night Of Blood".
- Big Damn Heroes: Many characters, but special credit goes to Gamzee, who takes down the Ringmaster.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: In addition to all the bizarre biology trolls have in canon, apparently touching their hornbeds triggers a "submission reflex" that causes a flood of endorphins.
- Bullying a Dragon: In the sequel, some of the kids at John's school try to pick on Karkat and Gamzee, despite the fact that they have Super Strength, fangs, claws, and a whole bunch of other advantages. It's not as bad as most examples of this trope, though, since the bullying isn't too severe and rarely gets physical.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Roxy Lalonde is a Lady Drunk, but she's also a fantastic scientist and has a number of powerful connections.
- Christmas Episode: A prequel fic called "Christmas Miracles", which follows the then-homeless Karkat and Gamzee.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The "Purists". Mr. Egbert lampshades in "All's Fair In Love And War", outright comparing them to the KKK.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Snowman and Vriska seem to genuinely care for one another.
- Fantastic Racism: Many people against Alternians.
- Half-Identical Twins: John and Jade; Rose and Dave.
- Happily Adopted: Tavros and Terezi, by their respective human families. Karkat and Gamzee end up adopted by Mr. Egbert at the end of the first fic.
- Hearing Voices: Gamzee, whose voices tell him to kill people.
- Humans Through Alien Eyes: As in Homestuck canon, much of human society looks outright bizarre to Alternians — particularly human relationships.
- Lawyer-Friendly Cameo: Will Smith has one in the sequel.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Outright quoted after it is revealec that the Ringmaster is Jonh and Jade's biological father.
- Monster Clown: The "Ringmaster".
- Morality Chain: Karkat to Gamzee. Karkat's mediation is pretty much the only reason Nepeta and Equius are even still alive.
- Nature Vs Nurture: Many characters muse on whether the violent tendencies many Alternians have are an innate trait or simply a consequence of living in an extremely brutal society.
- Overlord Jr.: Vriska, who was adopted by the leader of one of the city's major gangs.
- Reluctant Psycho: Gamzee. He eventually gets medication for it.
- Sadistic Choice: The kidnappers in the sequel give Sollux one: betray Feferi, or have Aradia be killed.
- Shout Out: Feferi mentions "Lord of the Flies" when arguing that Alternians are Not So Different from humans.
- Street Urchin: Karkat and Gamzee, for most of the first fic.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted. While most Alternian kids have at least a little psychological trouble, due to their messed-up pasts, the ones who were a danger to themselves or others were given therapy.
- Token Evil Teammate: Eridan has aspects of this. He's more of a Jerkass/Jerk with a Heart of Gold when the story takes place, but at one point he thinks that he would have been all for just killing all the humans and taking their planet, had they had the numbers to do so.
- Villainous Breakdown: The Ringmaster begins having one after John rejects him, continuing to degenerate until he is arrested. Not that he was all that stable to begin with.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Eridan and Jade.
- What Did I Do Last Night?: Extremely unfunny version. After the Night of Blood, Eridan woke up in the medical ward, covered in other peoples' blood, with no memory of the last few hours. Sometimes, when he's alone, he prays that he just fell into some of the gore that was splattered all over the place.