Agent Loki: International Man of Mayhem
by Alis Dee
is an exceptional 13-part series of The Avengers
fanfics exploring the idea of What if SHIELD kept Loki instead of sending him back to Asgard and rather than keeping him in a cell forever decided to make use of him?
Notable, among other things, for mostly being written as a Second Person Narration
from Loki's point of view.
Also has a number of outakes and deleted scenes
Additionally, this Alternate Universe
fic also has its own AU in the form of Dee's other massive story, Small Things.
- Action Mom: Maria Hill.
- Alien Catnip: Loki gets high on honey.
- Anti-Hero: Loki is a Type IV, sometimes verging on Type III.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Jane Foster.
- Bad Guys Do The Dirty Work: Why SHIELD recruits Loki.
- Benevolent Boss: Fury.
- Blade on a Stick: After Loki starts working with SHIELD and they let him have the Chitauri spear (which is also a Boom Stick) back, heís rather keen on it.
- Blood Is The New Black: Loki, sometimes.
- Blue and Orange Morality: SHIELD's psychologists believe Loki has this.
- Chronic Villainy: Loki's trying to break out of this (with limited success).
- Distant Finale: Cry Wolf (The Longest Con) takes place 100 years after the rest of the series.
- Does Not Like Shoes: It isn't that Loki doesn't like them, per se, he just forgets that he needs to put them on.
- Evil Gloating: Loki has a tendency to do this. Even when he isn't acutally being evil.
- The Fashionista: Loki & Sigyn.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Jane and Loki.
- For Science!
- Functional Magic: Also called thaumathurgy. Mostly employed by Loki, but can theoretically be used by anyone.
- Gambit Pileup
- Genre Savvy: Everybody to a degree - Loki and Jane take the cake though. Jane in particular seems to be quite familiar with TV Tropes ...
- Good People Have Good Sex: Loki and Sigyn. Jane Foster and everybody.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: Yes, very good, Loki.
- Grand Theft Me: In Dull Creatures.
- Happily Married: Phil and Chloe Coulson. Cap and Betsy. Eventually Loki and Sigyn.
- Hero with an F in Good: Loki.
- Lack of Empathy: Loki. Cognitive Empathy is a hard-learnt skill for him and he doesnít really experience affective empathy at all. His brain just isnít biologically built that way.
- Master of Disguise: Loki, particularly in Serpents On A Helicarrier.
- Music Magic: Although not the only form of magic in the series, Lokiís singing is in fact a mind control spell. Well it can be.
- Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal: Why Loki chooses to work with SHIELD. Also perhaps why Sigyn turns against Asgard.
- Noodle Incident: The Childhood Incident between Loki and Thor.
- Odd Friendship: Loki and Coulson. Actually, Loki and anyone.
- One Gender Race: The Jotun. Maybe.
- Order Versus Chaos: Arguably the main theme throughout the 'verse. And Loki is Entropy's Cosmic Plaything.
- Pragmatic Villainy
- Polyamorous: Jane loves both Thor and Loki and sleeps with both of them. She also ends up marrying Dr. Keith Kincaid who can offer her the kind of stable romantic relationship and reliability neither of the aliens can.
- Princesses Prefer Pink: Self-proclaimed princess Jo Hill certainly thinks so. Apparently it's part of the Princess Code only to eat pink food.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Fury. And how.
- Recruiting The Criminal: SHIELD doing this is the foundation of the whole story verse.
- Retirony: A theme in Make It Double.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Loki, eventually.
- Second Person Narration: Done very effectively.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: The Asgardians.
- Shout Out: Serpents on a Helicarrier is made of this. From the title, to Lokiís pseudonym Steve Pinkerton, to the Galaga arcade machine. Elsewhere we get Nick Fury in a pink wig.
- Smart People Play Chess And Tafl: Jane and Loki.
- Sociopathic Hero: Loki. He's been diagnosed.
- Token Evil Teammate: Loki for SHIELD.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: The Caught Creek Codex. Which is on an iPad.
- Trans Sexual : While itís not made a big deal of Sigyn is a non-operative transwoman. This isnít so easy on Asgard with its rigid gender roles, so itís one of the reasons she ends up preferring Earth.
- There Are No Therapists In Asgard
- On Earth, on the other hand ...
- Unreliable Narrator: Again, done very effectively.
- Villains Act, Heroes React
- Wants a Prize for Basic Decency: Loki.
- Weapon of Choice: Loki's sceptre.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: See Lack of Empathy above.
- Xanatos Speed Chess: Loki's speciality. He pulls it off against Thanos. With his eyes and heart gone.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Indeed.