Fanfic / A World Without Rainbows
So, we all know how much of an impact Rainbow Dash's first sonic rainboom
had for the Mane Six. However, in the grander scheme of things, how important was
it exactly? And how much different would things be... if it never happened
Well, like it or not, Twilight will have to see this for herself as she wakes up one day in a world of eternal night
.A World Without Rainbows
can be found here
and is currently in Act III.
Compare and contrast Random Elements
and A Minor Variation
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Axe-Crazy: Silver Shield.
- Alternate Universe Fic: Sort of a given.
- The Bad Guy Wins: "A world of eternal night", huh? ...sound familiar?
- Cooldown Hug: Fluttershy uses one of these to stop Moonside Twilight's Super-Power Meltdown.
- Crapsack World: Thanks to the rainboom not happening, the world is... not a fun place.
- Despair Event Horizon: Faced with the "realization" that she is not a good flyer, Fluttershy... um... became an earth pony.
- Doorstopper: Although it is currently in Act III, this journal entry currently states that the current plan is that this story will have 6 acts.
- For Want of a Nail: Oh dear, if it weren't for that rainboom...
- Face–Heel Turn: Twilight, in the alternate universe.
- Face Palm: In Chapter 10 (chapter 1 of Act II), Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie pass the time playing I Spy.
"My turn!" the pink mare shouted excitedly. "I spy something rainbow-colored."
Rainbow Dash narrowed her eyes. "It's me, isn't it? Nothing else in this room is rainbow."
Pinkie Pie gasped in surprise. "Fine then, Dashie. I've got a harder one. I spy something wearing a hat."
Rainbow buried her forehead in her front hoof.
- And later on in the same chapter.
[Alternate Twilight] levitated a book off of one of the shelves and opened it, tearing out two pages.
Rarity gasped, and Twilight shifted her eyes toward her, concerned.
"What?" Twilight said. "The book's already in terrible condition. It looks ancient. Really, how valuable can a book like that be?"
Rainbow Dash facehoofed for a second time.
- Ghost Memory: Caused by Alternate Twilight when swapping minds.
- Grand Theft Me: In order to travel to our world, alternate Twilight swaps her mind with our Twilight.
- It's Personal: Silver Shield's lover Stone Wall was killed by Alternate Twilight. He wants blood. It turns out she was also pregnant with his child.
- Machiavelli Was Wrong: Nightmare Moon's modus operandi is leading by fear. When Soarin dies, Spitfire realizes she loved him more than she fears Nightmare Moon, and pulls a Heel–Face Turn.
- Meaningful Name: Inverted. Silver Shield was raised by arrogant unicorns who thought unicorns were better than everyone else. When he was born, this family looked down on him because he wasn't a unicorn, and named him Silver Shield, as Silver is not good for making shields.
- The Night That Never Ends: In the alternate Universe.
- Painting the Medium: Each chapter begins with a placard colored red or blue (or a gradient). The chapters with a red title are set entirely in the canon universe, while the blue chapters are set entirely in the alternate universe. The gradient chapters focus on both. Sound familiar?
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Rarity delivers a truly scathing one to Madame Orange. Surprisingly, Nightmare Moon of all ponies later agrees with her.
- Running Gag: Everyone that gets stranded in the moonverse Ponyville ends up useing 'Trixie' as an alias.
- Schizo Tech: Okay, DJ tables, and horse-drawn steam locomotives are understandable, but Madam Orange's helicopter balloon thingy is a little harder to explain.
- Shout-Out: The author points out that in "Act II - Part 7: Loyalties", Pinkie's speech is based off of the Doctor's in the Doctor Who episode "Bad Wolf". Funny, considering how Doctor Whooves is involved with the plot.
- Spot the Imposter: When Applejack reminds Twilight to write her Friendship Report of the week, Twilight is for some reason extra nervous. As Twilight writes it, Applejack reminds her to address it to "the person who more or less raised you." Twilight addresses the letter to her mother. "Wrong answer."
- Super-Power Meltdown: when challenged by Applejack, Moonside Twilight loses control of her magic and almost destroys Ponyville.
- Tautological Templar: Madame Orange seems to spend a lot of her time insisting it's Never My Fault and finding ways to make selfish desires look like noble self-sacrifice. She insists she's just being realistic and doing her best to help.
- Trapped in Another World: Sunside Twilight initially, though once her friends catch up with her it become more a question fo chosing to stay until Nightmare Moon is defeated.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Alternative Twilight has shades of this.
- Zeppelins from Another World: Our world has a hot air balloon. The other world has a freaking airship.