Fan Fic: A Protectors Pride
A Protector's Pride
is a Bleach Fan Fic
, notable for giving its characters more than two brain cells to rub together and making them take a level in badass
The premise: Ichigo decides to handle his inner hollow like every other problem he faces: fighting it head on instead of running away. Things quickly snowball from a seemingly minor change.
This fic contains examples of the following tropes, in addition to those already present in the source material:
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: Ichigo begs for Yamamoto's help after his mother is kidnapped.
- Armor-Piercing Question: Zangetsu asks Ichigo one when he fears becoming a monster if he embraces his inner hollow.
Zangetsu: "What makes a person a monster?"
- Asskicking Equals Authority: How hollows determine who's in charge.
- The Atoner: Many (if not most) souls in Hell.
- Awful Truth: Hell's zanpakuto forces a person to face the "devastating, unadulterated truth" about themselves.
- Awesome but Impractical: Ichigo being able to use his hollow's zanpakuto in Shikai is noted as increasing his attack power but decreasing his agility and preventing him from casting kido. In Bankai, however, it compounds the normal effect.
- Badass Boast: Orihime of all people gets one.
Orihime: "This is my power. You may be able to rot away flesh, bone and sinew. You may be able to decompose earth and metal and even dissipate reiatsu. But my technique is based on none of those, nothing but the eternal force of my will to protect! This is my power, Baraggan, Lord of Hueco Mundo! This power that intrudes on Kami's territory! The power to reject and reshape reality! And I reject you and your power! Tsubaki! Koten Zanshun! I reject!"
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Ichigo has this to say when looking at Hiyori and Shinji's relationship.
Ichigo: (to Rose) "You know, it sounds like there's a lot of repressed sexual tension between them. Maybe that's why they fight – hoping for some good make-up sex?"
Ichigo: "So quick to deny and you reacted so well in unison. It's like you're in tune with each other. Is anyone else here seeing what I am?"
Lisa: (giggles) "Hey Shinji. You wanna borrow my manga? Might give you some ideas."
Shinji: "No! I'm not into little whiny brats like her!"
Hiyori: "Says the man who makes faces when he knows he's lost a verbal war!"
"Definitely an old married couple
. They know each other way too well, push each other's buttons too easily. If they really hated each other, one of them would have killed the other by now. It's been over a hundred years of living together, for crying out loud. Betcha anything they don't act like that with other people normally."
Rose: "He's got a point."
Love: "What? You only get that pissed off at Shinji, and we all know Shinji does those antics just to get a rise out of you."
- Shinji later turns this back on Ichigo, suggesting he has this situation with Rukia.
- Blood Knight: Cazador (Ichigo's inner hollow) of course. He insists Ichigo is as well.
- Brought Down to Badass: After sealing away a significant portion of his power, Ichigo can still bring captains to their knees.
- Chain Pain: While not used as weapons, Ichigo has been shown to have an affinity for chains. To the point that all of his binding kido appear as chains.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: The Kido Corps are charged with creating a kido to deal with Hell. Their possible solution is so dangerous that they plan to destroy all records of it after it's used along with making the underlying principles forbidden to anyone but the Kido Corps captain.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Cazador and Zen'i are merely parts of Ichigo's soul.
- Deal with the Devil: The source of the Quincies powers.
- Despair Event Horizon: Aizen of all people seems to go through this shortly before his death.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Orihime kills Barragan by rejecting his existence.
- Epic Flail: Ichigo learns to use Zangetsu as one by throwing it while holding onto the cloth/chain.
- Face Death with Dignity: Barragan after seeing that his struggling is pointless, congratulates Orihime for killing him.
- Friendly Enemy: It's theorized that this was Aizen's end goal with Ichigo.
Ichigo: "I believe that what he wanted above all else, was a companion who would stand with him at the top. Maybe he felt that after a century or two, our battles to the death would evolve into rivalry, and then perhaps into a friendship of equals, because who else could we turn to?Touch is such a huge part of human affection. Can you imagine not being able to receive even a simple pat on the shoulder? To play around with your friends? Can you imagine complete physical isolation? To Aizen and I, our evolutions kept us from doing that to any save each other. To us, it would be such an enormous gift to be able to actually touch one another, be it in combat or in friendship. It would be a sign that we are not alone. That was why Aizen made the deal to leave Karakura alone. He didn't want to alienate me completely, I don't think."
- Hannibal Lecture: Zen'i gives Ichigo one about how for all his power and experience, he has no idea how what to do if he's not fighting.
- Heroic Neutral: Post-Aizen, Ichigo wants to be this. The machinations of multiple factions prevent it though.
- Honor Before Reason: Averted. Ichigo decides that protecting others is more important than his honor or his pride.
- I Gave My Word: Subverted. Ichigo agrees to let Aizen go in exchange for sparing Karakura, but then decides that stopping him is more important than keeping his word.
- I Have Your Mother: How Aizen tries to force Ichigo's compliance.
- Ignore the Fanservice: Unlike canon, Ichigo is not remotely interested in Rangiku's attempts to let her stay at his place. He even notes that while she could probably give him the night of his life, 1) he's way too tired from training to be interested and 2) he's the son and occasionally assistant of a doctor. She doesn't have anything he hasn't seen before.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: Ichigo and friend's excuses when they have to deal with spiritual matters.
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One: Ichigo is not amused that it's always up to him to save the world.
- Lonely at the Top: Ichigo believes this is why Aizen manipulated his life to make him as strong as possible.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Ichigo and the other Vaizards kill so many Kushināda that they accidentally revive Hell.
- No Hugging, No Kissing: The author has made it very clear that there will be no pairings.
- Not So Different: Byakuya say this about Ichigo and Yamamoto despite their dislike of each other. Both will fight viciously for their beliefs, goals and True Companions. Byakuya however notes that this must hurt Yamamoto more since Ichigo might remind him of his younger self but years of compromise and dealing with the (corrupt and xenophobic) Central 46 made him Lawful Stupid whereas Ichigo didn't cave in despite Yamamoto acting like a Obstructive Bureaucrat to him.
- Likewise, Ichigo realizes this about both Cazador and Zen'i
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: Yamamoto is this to Ichigo and causes the very thing he wished to avoid: reviving Hell and causing a new war.
- Person of Mass Destruction: In Ichigo's words, he doesn't have to beat Yamamoto do destroy Soul Society. A fight between the two of them would accomplish that just fine.
- Rape as Drama: Played with. Aizen makes Hinamori think Ichigo threatened to keep Aizen's head as a trophy and rape her in front of it daily.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Chad is not happy when he finds out his grandfather has been tortured.
- Ichigo threatens this when Seireitei nobles kidnap his mother.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here: Ulquiorra leaves as soon as he decides that Ichigo will defeat him and thus has a chance against Aizen.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: As it turns out Hell is both a dimension and the name of it's ruler that was sealed away there.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Ichigo. His dad tells him to unwind after "The Winter War" saying he's only 15 or he might go insane. He proves his point by pointing Ichigo's posture is always in a defensive stance.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Gin, Tousen, Ulquiorra, Starrk, and Lilynette.
- Stating the Simple Solution: Uryuu regains his powers after Ichigo wonders if Orihime could reject him ever losing them.
- When Retsu is worrying about how to keep Ichigo from becoming a captain, Gin suggests simply asking him to decline.
- Stealth Mentor: Zen'i seems to be one.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Averted. Uryuu snipes Harribel's fraccion while they argue.
- To the Pain: Chad's description of what he'll do to the thugs that tortured his grandfather.
- Took a Level in Badass: Everyone.
- Tranquil Fury: Often the only way to tell Ichigo is thoroughly pissed is his reiatsu driving captain class fighters to their knees.
- The Unfettered: Zen'i
- Warrior Therapist: Ichigo uses a shinigami's ability to read each others hearts through their zanpakutou to convince Hinamori he's not a threat to her.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Ichigo thinks Aizen might have been one before developing a god complex.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Yamamoto calls out Ichigo for trying to go to Hell to save the soul of his mother and sisters saying he's placing three people over the safety of the world.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: Ichigo learns different methods of using Getsuga Tenshou. Namely, spinning Zangetsu by its cloth to increase it's charge or by not unleashing it and instead throwing Zangetsu to increase it's penetrating power.
- You Kill It, You Bought It: Though Ichigo kills him after rather than before, his first fight with his inner hollow, Ichigo claims his hollow's zanpakuto as his own.
- Later, Ichigo becomes king of Hueco Mundo after killing Aizen.