- Badass Normal: Hillary Clinton talking down two leaders warring against each other.
- Big Damn Heroes: The trio of Marines would have likely died fighting undead if a group of adventurers hadn't bailed them out.
- Celebrity Paradox: In this fic, there is no World of Warcraft game on Earth, but World of Warhammer in order to prevent the Earth humans from instantly knowing everything about Azeroth.
- The Magic Goes Away: The ambient mana on Earth is much weaker than in Azeroth. It doesn't make casting spells impossible for Azerothians, but casting is much more difficult on Earth.
- Mythology Gag: As mentioned above, World of Warcraft in this world is replaced by "World of Warhammer", perhaps a sly reference to how the original Warcraft was made after Blizzard's plans to make a Warhammer RTS fell through in Real Life.
- Nuclear Weapons Taboo: A Gnomish mage gets visibly upset when Barack Obama mentions nukes in front of him. Given what happened to Gnomeregan in the backstory, this is understandable.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: When Rhonin's temper flares. "THAT'S IT! THE NEXT BEING TO ANNOY ME GETS SET ON FIRE!
- Real Person Fic: Characters from Warcraft and the original Marine characters notwithstanding, many of the story's characters are Real Life politicians like Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.
- Shout-Out: A few.
- Strawman Political: Completely averted. American politicians from both sides of the political spectrum are featured and each have their own legitimate concerns about the portal to Azeroth
- Un Equal Rites: Before the American delegation arrives in Azeroth, Garrosh gets into an argument with Rhonin and Gelbin about the effectiveness of shamans versus mages.
- What the Hell, Hero?: A Night Elf rogue decides to test the competency of the Secret Service by faking a possible threat. Her party leader called her out on the stupidity of her little stunt, though.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: One of the Marines instantly starts aiming for headshots when he realizes his team is fighting zombies, and encourages the others to do the same. However, the fact that Azeroth's undead work differently from the kind in zombie movies works against him.
Fanfic / A New World
An interesting fanfic project, A New World is an idea of what would happen when Azeroth meets our world. It can be found here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6803330/1/A_New_WorldNot to be confused with New World, with which it shares no similarities.