Fanfic: A New World
An interesting fanfic project, A New World is an idea of what would happen when Azeroth meets our world. It can be found here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6803330/1/A_New_WorldNot to be confused with New World, with which it shares no similarities.
- Badass: The U.S. Marines certainly count.
- So does the Secret Service.
- Badass Normal: Hillary Clinton talking down two leaders warring against each other.
- Big Damn Heroes: The trio of Marines would have likely died fighting undead if a group of adventurers hadn't bailed them out.
- Celebrity Paradox: In this fic, there is no World of Warcraft game on Earth, but World of Warhammer in order to prevent the Earth humans from instantly knowing everything about Azeroth.
- Genre Savvy: One of the Marines instantly starts aiming for headshots when he realizes his team is fighting zombies, and encourages the others to do the same.
- The Magic Goes Away: The ambient mana on Earth is much weaker than in Azeroth. It doesn't make casting spells impossible for Azerothians, but casting is much more difficult on Earth.
- Mythology Gag: As mentioned above, World of Warcraft in this world is replaced by "World of Warhammer", perhaps a sly reference to how the original Warcraft was made after Blizzard's plans to make a Warhammer RTS fell through in Real Life.
- Nuclear Weapons Taboo: A Gnomish mage gets visibly upset when Barack Obama mentions nukes in front of him. Given what happened to Gnomeregan in the backstory, this is understandable.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: When Rhonin's temper flares. "THAT'S IT! THE NEXT BEING TO ANNOY ME GETS SET ON FIRE!
- Real Person Fic: Characters from Warcraft and the original Marine characters notwithstanding, many of the story's characters are Real Life politicians like Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.
- Shout-Out: A few.
- Strawman Political: Completely averted. American politicians from both sides of the political spectrum are featured and each have their own legitimate concerns about the portal to Azeroth
- Un Equal Rites: Before the American delegation arrives in Azeroth, Garrosh gets into an argument with Rhonin and Gelbin about the effectiveness of shamans versus mages.
- What the Hell, Hero?: A Night Elf rogue decides to test the competency of the Secret Service by faking a possible threat. Her party leader called her out on the stupidity of her little stunt, though.