It's time for the Second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest! Details here
Fan Fic: A Little Angel On My Shoulder
One day, in the Creative Writing section of Spacebattles.com
, a discussion was had regarding ideas for Neon Genesis Evangelion
fanfictions. Among them, a single question was asked.
"What if, when the Angels are killed, they become literal Shoulder Angels
and haunt the pilots?"
A link can be found Here
Compare with My Enemy My Friend
, a more serious take by one of the writers of this fic.
This series contains examples of the following tropes:
Through the Warped Mirror tropes:
- Alternate Universe: Nerv gets invade by alternate universe duplicates of themselves who are totally evil.
The Sohryus tropes:
- Absurdly Youthful Stepmother: Rei Ayanami, to the Angels.
- Accidental Marriage: The entire plot gets kicked off when Asuka and Shinji get drunk and decide to get married.
- The Bet: Sachiel and Raye make a bet on whether or not Asuka and Shinji will stay together.
- Cloning Blues: Rei now has one of her clones walking around Tokyo-3. Raye Ianomi, a coldly logical girl who wants to distance herself from Rei, and who greatly admires Dr. Akagi.
- Everythings Better With Ninjas: "Translator's Note: Hikari Horaki means you're already dead."
- Evil Stepmother: Averted or played straight depending on the Angel, but in any case Rei is their stepmom.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Asuka asks Hikari to help her learn to cook to be more womanly.
- Happily Adopted: Asuka and Shinji were this before getting married, and now they're not.
- Insatiable Newlyweds: No, not Asuka and Shinji, but Rei and Kaworu, who aren't married, but boy howdy: Do they ever act like it.
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: Rei and Kaworu are implied to have done it in a dressing booth in a clothing store at the mall. As the author quips, 'they aren't allowed in that store anymore.'
- Maligned Mixed Marriage: Raye tried to talk Shinji into getting a divorce saying: "On top of that, think of the children. I mean, what will they look like?” . It did not work.
- The Maiden Name Debate: When Asuka and Shinji get married he changes his surname to Sohryu, hence the name of the story. Asuka mentions it here.
- "Not If They Enjoyed It" Rationalization: "But I ''did'' give consent Sorhyu. Many many times."
- Shout-Out: As with all stories in this series there are a lot of shout outs. Here are some of them.
- In the first snip, the Angels choose to inform Shinji that he is, in fact, now a man.
- Calvin Coolidge gets one when Raye quotes the entirety of one of his most famous speeches: "Ash."
- The subplot with the Angels at law school contains a lot of shout outs to Community.
- The fic's name is a reference to the Jimmy Wolk fanfic The Ikaris.
- Shinji's nightmare features shout outs to Zero no Tsukaima and InuYasha, mostly in the characters' styles of dress. However, unlike many other shout outs these are not Played for Laughs.
- In an effort to counter Shinji's ideal woman (dominating basically), Asuka asks Hikari to teach her to cook. Complying, Hikari gets her Alton Brown on.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Averted with Prime Minister Minami. His popularity is in the tank, and he wants to get it up by pointing out that no divorces have gone down on his watch, but only because the mind control ray was unfeasible.
- What Could Possibly Go Wrong?: A string of no less then five of these phrases go off in a row at one time.