Fan Fic / A Guide to Not Making Your Tribute Suck
A Guide to Not Making Your Tribute Suck
, published on Fanfiction.net began as Exactly What It Says on the Tin
. Originally posted a straightforward list of dos and don'ts (but mostly dont's) in the creation of original characters
in The Hunger Games Fandom
, it had gone through several evolutions, both at the author's whim and in attempts to better conform to the Fanfiction.net content guidelines.
Currently, the story features an actual plot, centering around Gamemaker Deyna Balthazar. As the Only Sane Employee
, he tries to teach his fellow Gamemakers how to choose tributes that won't make the public suspect the reaping are less than random. Eventually he leads them on a Sue-hunt through the internet, joined by a Parody Sue
they nickname Spot.
The story was Written by FoalyWinsForever
and can be read here
A Guide to Not Making Your Tribute Suck provides examples of:
- Deadpan Snarker: Deyna, and the author in the editions where she addressed the audience directly.
- The Ditz: Most of the Gamemakers aren't brilliant, but Tibbi stands out.
- Expy: Katniss expies are strictly forbidden. And judging from the rule after that, it's possible that this also goes for Peeta expies.
- Gender Flip: "No one wants their tribute gender-switched or something like that. ...Unless they do. Fanfictioners are weird like that sometimes. But still."
- Shout-Out: To My Immortal, when Deyna mentions in his list of requirements that Ebony "Darkness" Dementia Raven Way is not an acceptable name for a tribute.
- Surrounded by Idiots: The first chapter is even entitled "Deyna Balthazar Is Surrounded by Idiots".
- This Is a Work of Fiction:
Disclaimer: All fics, users, and tributes mentioned in this story are completely fictional. Any resemblance to existing fics, users, or tributes, living or dead, is purely coincidental, although it might mean you're doing something terribly wrong. On second thought, if you're a dead user and you're reading this, that's kind of awesome. How are you doing that?