Fan Fic / A Glad Day
Five-part Dragon Ball Z Alternate Universe Fan Fic
by Lisalu, which is the author's take on the oft-used theme of "Bulma is taken to Vegita-sei as a slave and catches the eye of the Saiyan no Ouji." Be warned: this fic contains rape/dubcon, slavery, violence, and many other VERY dark themes. Not for the faint of heart.
The premise: In an alternate universe, the Saiyan destroyed Earth and took the survivors as slaves. Bulma, the human concubine to the warrior Raditz, catches the eye of the arrogant and vicious Prince Vegita. He must
have her. Heedless of the consequences, Vegita takes Bulma for himself... and inadvertently sets in motion a plot that will shake his planet, his race, and his very self to their cores.
It can be read here
This work provides examples of:
- Babies Ever After: The fic ends with Bulma and Vegita starting a new life on Namek with Trunks, Romayn, and the rest of the surviving humans and Saiyans.
- Badass Normal: Bulma and her father deserves some mention for earning the respect of Vegita for genius and ability to outsmart opponants.
- Batman Gambit: Vegita-ou orders the arrest of Bulma and her friends by Mousrom, knowing that it will enrage his son enough to break past the mental block that prevents him from killing.
- Big Damn Heroes: Bulma leading an army of Oozaru swoops in to rescue her father and the rest of the humans that were captured by Jeiyce and about to be publicly executed to draw her out.
- Blood Sport: After the plague is unleased on Vegita-sei, the surviving Saiyans are put on public display and brutally tortured by the people they once enslaved.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Rikkum is reimagined as a loyal servant to Vegita since all he cares about is serving a strong master.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: The leads go through a lot of crap and pain but ultimately have Babies Ever After on a new home world.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: The death of Bulma's son at the hands of Napa.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Bulma, as per canon.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Jeiyce and the rest of his rebellion. He even admits it:
- Heel Realization: Vegita, after his Mind Rape, realizes that he's The Caligula and tones it down.
- Heroic Blue Screen of Death: Bulma undergoes this first after Raditz and her son are murdered in front of her eyes and then after she leaves Vegita to his death after he tried to have her abort their son.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Zarbon sacrificing himself to save Bulma from Jeiyce.
- The High Queen: Bulma becomes this by the end of the story, despite never being officially named Vegata's wife before the destruction of the empire, to the point where she's known as "Saiyan no Ojo" (Queen of the Saiyans) among her enemies and allies alike. Even her detractors don't invoke God Save Us from the Queen!, instead claiming that as the model queen of an Always Chaotic Evil race she must be evil. For a while she's basically the Heir-In-Law for the surviving Saiyans while Vegeta is presumed dead, though Trunks is the actual king.
- Historical Hero Upgrade: Vegeta gets this, by no attempt of his own. The story that gets told (by one of his devoted supporters) is that he and Bulma were in Love at First Sight and he rescued her from Raditz.
- Love Redeems: After Mind Rape, Vegita finally admits that he loves Bulma. This doesn't change the fact that she is still a slave and he is still bound by his society, which then causes him to order Bulma to abort their half-breed offspring. It's only after losing his people and finally hearing Bulma's perspective through her diaries that he fully understands her and genuinely tries to redeem himself.
- Mama Bear: Bulma becomes very protective of Romayn who is Goku reborn, and the other Saiyan children under her care after the Saiyans are all killed.
- Mother Makes You King: Subverted, as Bulma certainly didn't kill the royal family off, but she left Vegeta to die and acknowledged that in doing so she made Trunks king before his birth. But by this point the empire is broken so it doesn't matter who holds the title, and Vegeta survived anyways.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After his Mind Rape Vegita realizes what a horrible person he is and how much he'd hurt Bulma. Bulma also went through this when she saw first-hand the damage of the inventions she'd given to the rebels.
- Not So Different: Bulma says this is why she doesn't hate the Saiyans even after they destroyed her world. She saw Bardock and his team joking together and realized they were just like ancient warriors from Earth. She also realizes she herself is not too different from Jeiyce since they both had their worlds and their families destroyed by the Saiyans.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Bulma has a brief depression over the death of Napa because she wanted to be the one to kill him.
- Pragmatic Villainy: King Vegita. His disapproval of Vegita's out-of-control violence stems mostly from the fact that it will make it hard for Vegita to rule his people properly. He also disapproves of the wholesale murder of slaves simply because Vegita-sei's economy depends on slavery.
- Proud Warrior Race: The Saiyans naturally. Bulma laments that it makes them unable to accept Vegita as a proper ruler after his Heel–Face Turn.
- Racial Remnant: The Saiyan children Bulma rescued as well as Vegita and several other Saiyans that survived the virus. Also the humans who survived on Chikyuu thanks to Dr. Briefs
- Reincarnation: Goku returns as Romayn, Bardock's third son.
- Restrained Revenge: Bulma takes this kind of revenge on Bardock for killing Goku and destroying Earth. She makes him love her as a daughter, but makes it clear that she will never fully forgive him for what he did.
- The Revolution Will Not Be Civilized: Jeiyce and his army. They may have begun their fight against the Saiyans with the best of intentions, but end up becoming little better than the Saiyans themselves.
- Sex Slave: Bulma begins as this. She is neither happy about it nor do her feelings for Vegita develop as a result of this.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Bulma's beauty is what initially attracts Vegita to her and inadvertently caused the death of Raditz and her son.
- Stockholm Syndrome: Averted. Although the Red Network believe that Bulma fell under this after years of being slave to the Saiyans, Bulma has her own reasons for siding with them.
- Played straight in the backstory with Bulma and Raditz, but unlike Vegeta he never hurts her and they're married in every way except legally.
- Sudden Humility: Not only Vegita, but a side character Articha goes through this when she is raped and tortured by Jeiyce's men and later realizes that most of Saiyans' female slaves have had it just as bad.
- Synthetic Plague: What destroyed Frieza and his people prior to the events of the fic. The same virus is used by Jeiyce and his army to wipe out the Saiyans.
- Too Dumb to Live: Even in this Alternate Universe, Mr. Satan thinks challenging Chutulu is a good idea!
- Subverted later, when Satan turns out to be mostly a Reasonable Authority Figure who willingly admits when he trusted the wrong person and was smart enough to have a back up plan.
- Unexpected Successor: Vegeta plans to do this by naming Romayn his heir so that he can remain with Bulma without worrying about producing a full-blooded prince. In the end the half-breed Trunks holds the royal title until Vegeta is reunited with Bulma.
- Villain Respect: Although King Vegita thinks Bulma is a bad influence on his son and would prefer that Vegita got rid of her, he respects her for her intelligence and admitted that he wishes she were a Saiyan so that she could properly marry his son.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Romayn develops very quickly and is able to grasp adult concepts as a baby. It helps that he's Goku reincarnated.
- Xanatos Gambit: How Jeiyce ultimately wins the war against the Saiyans. He allows himself to be captured by the Saiyans who plan to publicly execute him, bringing along a virus that attacks the ki-controlling parts of the brain. Even if some Saiyans somehow manage to survive the disease, they would be unable to control their ki and thus powerless against his armies. He also planned to be brought onto Vegita-sei right before the Moontime when Saiyans would be in a fever due to the proximity of their moon so the first symptoms of the virus would be unnoticed until it was too late.
- Yaoi Guys: Zarbon and his boyfriend, Scopa.
- You Could Have Used Your Powers for Good: Bulma tries to convince Jeiyce to let go of his hatred for the Saiyans and start a new family on another world. Jeiyce is similarly perplexed as to why Bulma has so much sympathy for the Saiyans and wonders why she didn't use her great intelligence to destroy them.
- You Killed My Father: The reason Jeiyce went to such extremes against the Saiyans is that his entire family was murdered by Saiyans.
- The New Alliance justifies hunting down Bulma and anyone connected to her by saying that the Saiyan children she rescued will one day do this to them.