A Chance to Say Goodbye
After a series of disturbing prophetic nightmares, 9 realizes that he needs to return to the First Room to find answers before 6's eerie warnings from beyond the grave become a reality.
is one of the many 9 FixFics
that resurrect the dolls that died during the movie. However,
it differs from the normal genre of it by A; having a real reason, a need
to bring them back, and B; after they are all brought back, it clearly
isn't "the end" just yet.The fic is an AU
, and has even spawned an Extended-Universe RP, "The 9 Renaissance" (the wiki of which can be found here
, several sequels and side-stories written by both the original author and
various fans, and in the extended-universe/sequels, OCs abound.
They also have their own
The fic was written by chibijaime
and can be read in eight parts here.
Tropes included in this work include:
- Alternate Universe Fic
- Anticlimax Boss: The Fish Beast. 1 warns 9 about it, saying 6 was worried about it, and it attack 9, 5, and 7, but...well, it's dispatched pretty easily, and fairly quickly too. And we don't even see it happening.
- Babies Ever After: The ending implies that 5 and 7 will have a baby. In the sequel, 7 has just given birth to a baby girl.
- Also in the sequel, 1 and 8 have twin sons, and 9 ends up pregnant with 6's child as well.
- Character Development
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: 2's forgiveness of 1, 5 confessing his feelings for 7 and telling her he understands that she doesn't feel the same way, she loves 9...and then getting cut off by her kiss.
- Easily Forgiven: 2 says he forgives 1 for sending him out to die, and actually looks forward to seeing him again. When asked how, he simply says that 1 did what he thought he had to, and 2 understands. Though somewhat subverted in that while 2 is ready to forgive, 7 is most certainly not.
- Fan-Preferred Couple: Subverted, and how. Not one of the pairings that occurs in the fic are the ones mainly noted in 9 fandom, with 5 and 7 heavily implied to have had a thing going before the film, despite 9's interest in the latter in the fic. In the end, 5 and 7 do confirm their love for one another, and in the sequel, 1 and 8 along with 9 and 6, respectively, pair off as well.
- Fix Fic
- Ho Yay: Oh, it's there all right.
- Ill Twins: Arguably, 3 and 4. Near the beginning of the fic, they both became weak, and 4 actually has horrible spasms, so they can't go along on any of the adventures to retrieve the others' bodies. Turns out to be a side-effect of five of their number being dead, and they (along with 9 and 7) would die if their friends weren't brought back to life.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: 5 was/is in love with 7, but is willing to give her up to 9, if that's what she wants. But 7 wants him, not 9.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: 1 still has this, though he's definitely better at showing the "heart of gold" part now.
- May-December Romance: The sequel series/extended universe has some. Also, 1 and 8.
- No One Should Survive That: 7, by some miracle, manages to escape the clutches of the Fish Beast that drags her underwater while they are retrieving 2's body.
- Pair the Spares: In the sequel, 1 and 8 and 9 and 6.
- Settled for Gay: 9 pretty much does this when 7 chooses 5. In the sequel, he settles down quite happily with 6 instead.
- "Shut Up" Kiss
- Talking to the Dead: Literally, in 9's case. First he speaks to 5's ghost, once, and then 6's a few more times.
- The Unreveal: We never really find out how 7 slayed the Fish Beast.
- Title Drop
- We Can Rebuild Him: Since 8's body was completely destroyed in the explosion, the others have to completely rebuild him from scratch.