''Belle is no princess, but then Rumpelstiltskin is certainly no prince. His price is her hand in marriage.''
A [[DoorStopper long-running]] Series/OnceUponATime fanfiction to be found [[http://archiveofourown.org/works/377718/chapters/616411 here]], ''A Bed of Thorns'' follows Belle and Rumpelstiltskin in an AU where his price for saving her people from ogres is Belle's hand in marriage. It is notable for its [[DoorStopper length]], characterisation and world-building. It is of this writing incomplete at one hundred & twenty chapters, and updated on a semi-regular basis.
!!This work provides examples of:
* ArrangedMarriage: Belle and Rumpelstiltskin, Regina and King Leopold, Maurice and Belle's mother. Belle and Gaston would have had one as well, had their betrothal gone through.
* BeastAndBeauty: Belle and Rumpelstiltskin, obviously.
* ButICantBePregnant: [[spoiler: Rumpelstiltskin is convinced that he cannot father children due to being under the Dark Curse. This causes him to be dismissive when Belle tells him when she thinks she might be pregnant.]]
* BroodingBoyGentleGirl: Belle and Rumpelstiltskin, for all that Rumpelstiltskin tries to hide it behind (tasteless) jokes.
* DealWithTheDevil: Rumpelstiltskin demands Belle's hand in marriage in exchange for saving her fiefdom from ogres.
* DeathByChildbirth: Belle's mother. Suffering a similar fate is Belle's greatest fear.
* EverythingsBetterWithPrincesses: InUniverse. Belle's people call her 'princess' despite being the daughter of a knight because they like the title better.
* EvilSorcerer: Rumpelstiltskin, which is ''not'' glossed over in the least.
* FantasyContraception: Wren tells Belle that there are "herbs" that can prevent pregnancy.
* HappilyMarried: It's early days yet, but Belle and Rumpelstiltskin appear to be headed in this direction.
* InnocentInaccurate: Belle is smart and intuitive, but her youth, lack of worldly experience, and innocence of evil means that she can misinterpret or not quite understand some of the things Rumpelstiltskin does, or says to her.
* InsatiableNewlyweds: Belle and Rumpelstiltskin have been in this stage for most of the story, and only really start to get past it around chapter 70.
* PerfectlyArrangedMarriage: Belle and Rumpelstiltskin, although they do have to work at it and neither one of them is exactly thrilled with this state of affairs to start off with
* PluckyGirl: '''Belle'''. In an arranged marriage to the most powerful and evil man in her world, and she still tries to make the best of it, actually winning her new husband over in the process.