Face Palm: Anime and Manga
Examples of Face Palm from Anime and Manga media category.
- Germany of Axis Powers Hetalia has done this on more than one occasion, usually because of something Italy has done.
- Black Butler: Ciel in season 2 episode 3, when Sebastian has a moment of adoration over stray kitties and ignores the task at hand to do so.
- In Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, Kodaka does one in episode 3 at the pool, after he defuses a confrontation between 3 guys and Sena. She then stops them from leaving, only to continue insulting them, and forcing Kodaka to save her yet again by utilizing his Face of a Thug to scare the three guys away. He later berates her for acting that way.
- A Certain Scientific Railgun:
- Early on, Shirai Kuroko, a young girl law-enforcer, crouches and buries her face in her hands, appalled at the sight of her good acquaintance (later properly introduced as the series' lead) high-kicking a vending machine to make it cough up a free canned drink right in front of her. No, not because of all the law things and how the two were discussing those right up to that moment. It's just that the resulting upskirt shot provokes a complaint from Kuroko how unrefined, unladylike the other girl's taste in underwear is.
- Kuroko does the headdesk variation, when the usually-straightforward, no-nonsense titular character (who is also her crush) lures the gangmembers with innocent charm. The charm works though. Kuroko hits her head against hard objects hard enough to shake them, and she does it often enough to become a Running Gag. It's a wonder she doesn't suffer from any injuries.
- Dragon Ball Z: In the Cell Games, Mr. Satan opts to fight Cell first and starts showboating in front of him. Then he decides to show off by breaking 14 of the 15 tiles he prepared with a karate chop to intimidate Cell. Kuririn faceplams at the sheer idiocy of the man.
- Durarara!!: This is Tom Tanaka's default reaction when someone (usually the person he's getting to pay their debt) pisses Shizuo off.
- Rin in Fate/stay night does this a lot. She even has a number of different kinds of facepalms.
- Fruits Basket: Yuki does it at the end of this clip after Hatsuharu changes back from black Haru and asks why he's so exhausted.
- In Full Metal Panic!, several characters have been shown or described to have done this in reaction to Sōsuke's actions or outlandish conclusions. Most commonly done by Mao, Kurz, and Kaname.
- In season 2 episode 6 of Girls Bravo, Koyomi does this upon realization that Fukuyama's about to have an Unsettling Gender Reveal dropped on him and he doesn't even know.
- Haruhi Suzumiya
- Kyon◊ does this relatively often. It's like the anime-version of Picard. Ironically, while Haruhi causes the majority of these, the particular instance in the hyperlink—along with its non-captioned original—is a mirrored shot of Kyon facepalming at himself for being asleep while Mikuru was changing in the same room.
- In The Movie, Itsuki does this in the background after a bit of Ship Tease between Kyon and Haruhi (in the hospital scene near the end of the movie). Doesn't happen often.
- Honey Hunt
- In chapter 2, this is Mizorogi's drivers response when Mizorogi tells Yura that the reason he wants to scout her is because she "smells like honey".
- In chapter 21, Mozorogi does this again in exasperation for having acted a bit immature to Yura.
- InuYasha: Inu-Yasha's reaction to Kagome's suggestion to break out of Tokajin's kitchen.
- Kamisama Kiss: Tomoe, Nanami's Beleaguered Assistant, will usually end up doing this at least once an episode, mainly because Nanami tends to act first and think much later.
- In Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, Gokudera when he found himself yet again, doing the "VONGOLA! FIGHT!" circle. Also, Squalo does this when Yamamoto is 'fooling around' with his puppy.
- Kin'iro no Corda: Hino in episode 15 during an argument between everybody about eavesdropping. Also, in the same episode Tsuchiura does this when Hihara gets mistaken for being Hino's boyfriend.
- Otani of Lovely Complex does this in episode 24 after seeing Koizumi's Epic Fail at being a model.
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's: Normally soft-spoken Yuuno found himself doing this in the last chapter◊ supplementary comics when he learned that the small task Signum needed him for was in setting up a Training Barrier for her Lighthearted Rematch with Fate. Again.
- Several characters in Mahou Sensei Negima! do this, especially Chisame and Asuna, whenever she has to put up with Ayaka.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion: "Those damn kids are embarassing us again." Those damned kids being Shinji and Asuka displaying their Belligerent Sexual Tension publicly.
- One Piece
- When Luffy accepts to escort Vivi to Alabasta in spite of the crew being on Baroque Works' deathlist, Nami facepalms in exasperation.
- The G-5 Marines keep on badmouthing the Straw Hats because if they don't, they will start admiring them. They admit this as they begin to break down in tears while Tashigi laughs and Smoker face-palms.
- Sharon of Pandora Hearts does this in the second omake when Gil is supposed to be making a soulful declaration to Alice to prepare her for womanhood but he just does it to Oz instead.
- Persona 4: The Animation has Yosuke doing one in response to Yu's drunken shenanigans in episode 15.
- Ranma ½: Akane does this in episode 85 when Ranma loses at Strip Poker.
- A non-comedic version of this happens when The Staff of The British Library do this in the Read or Die OVA in response to losing an entire squadron of troops due to a transport chopper crash while trying to kill the I-Jinn.
- Sailor Moon Crystal Act 3 features a scene where our heroine is fighting Jadeite while Rei (who hasn't awakened as Sailor Mars yet) is watching. Rei has previously seen Sailor Moon out of costume, and instantly recognizes her:
Rei: Are you... Usagi?
Moon: No, I'm not! I'm not Usagi!
(Luna, being an advisor in cat form, facepaws)
- Sarutobi Sasuke shows that even famous mythological ninjas (or at least their exaggerated Sengoku Basara incarnations) find this to be the only proper response◊ to their general's stupidity.
- In chapter 5 of Sensual Phrase one of Sakuya's fellow band mates reacts this way when he states that he wants to use Aine in a music video. In chapter 7, another one of Sakuya's fellow band mates has this reaction at Sakuya's less than subtle remark of taking Aine to his room when she passed out from drinking too much.
- Lawrence does this quite frequently in Spice and Wolf for any given reason although usually in response to Holo. Holo herself has a half a minute long face palm in in the first OVA in response in response to Lawrence's description of how sheep are used for torture.
- In Tiger & Bunny, this is Barnaby's reaction to Kotetsu's massively botched attempt at performing the simple act of picking up a dropped pen...accidentally kicking it into the path of an oncoming car in episode 5.