Dying Moment Of Awesome: Music
- The robot at the end of VOiCE by Hatsune Miku. Also doubles as a tearjerker.
- "Big Bad John" by Jimmy Dean tells the story of a giant of a man who saves his fellow miners from a cave-in by holding up a sagging support timber long enough for the twenty other miners to escape. The mine collapses before the others can go back in to save him.
Now, they never reopened that worthless pit;
They just placed a marble stand in front of it.
These few words were written on that stand:
"At the bottom of this mine lies a big big man.
- Bon Jovi's "Blaze of Glory" is all about this.
- A funny one: The swan song of Carmina Burana. A literal swan song - the swan is just being roasted for dinner and woes his fate.
- Queen's last song, "The Show Must Go On", is about Freddie Mercury facing death with dignity. When Brian May presented the demo to Freddie, he had doubts that the latter would be able to sing due to his illness the time. When the time came to record the vocals, Mercury drank a measure of vodka and said "I'll fucking do it, darling!", then recorded it in one take.
The show must go on
The show must go on, yeah
Oooh inside my heart is breaking
My make-up may be flaking
But my smile still stays on"
- David Bowie's final album, Blackstar, was released only a few days before his death from cancer on 10 January, 2016. The album has met with both critical and commercial success, and Bowie's lyrics imply the experiences of "a man who appears to be grappling with his own mortality".