Drinking Game / Game of Thrones
"It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would do it if it were easy!"
When you play the Drinking Game of Thrones
, you win, or your liver dies. There is no middle ground:
- Whenever the name of one of the four main houses is said (Stark, Lannister, Baratheon, or Targaryen), you drink.
- Alternatively, assign players to a house, with each player only drinking when their house name is said.
- House Greyjoy can be added in Season 2, Tyrell for Season 3 and Martell for Season 4.
- Although not a house, the Night's Watch can be used as well.
- Each player also chooses a religion: the Faith of the Seven or the Old Gods. When their religion is mentioned, they drink.
- Starting with Season 2, add the Drowned God and the Lord of Light R'hllor to the list.
- Whenever someone dies, drink. If they're a major character, finish your drink.
- Whenever there is nudity, drink.
- Whenever a character (probably Robert, Tyrion and Cersei from Season 2 onwards) on screen drinks, drink.
A few extra challenges if you feel brave:
- Whenever a character is addressed as milord/lady, take a sip. Take two for your grace.
- Whenever Hodor says "Hodor", drink.
- Down the whole bottle when it's revealed in The Door that it's a corruption of "hold the door" and he dies.
- Whenever Ned Stark makes a bad decision out of honor, drink. Take two drinks if his decision gets someone killed.
- Whenever Joffery is a dick, drink.
- Alternatively, Whenever Joffrey gets humiliated, take a drink. If he gets bitch slapped, take two.
- Whenever someone mentions the White Walkers, drink. Down your drink if the White Walkers or a Wight actually makes a physical appearance.note
- Whenever somebody says "Winter is coming", take a drink.
- Whenever the word whore is used, take a drink.
- Whenever Tyrion insults someone, take a drink.
- Whenever someone says "The Night Is Dark and Full of Terrors", take a drink.
- Whenever Ygritte says "You know nothing, Jon Snow.", take a drink.
- Whenever Jaqen H'ghar says "a man" or "a girl", take a drink.
- Whenever someone addresses Jon as "bastard", take a drink.
- If they say "you must be Ned Stark's bastard" during their first meeting, take two drinks.
- Whenever Jon is addressed as "Lord Snow", take a drink.
- Whenever someone refers to "The King in the North", take a drink. Finish the drink if the phrase is immediately echoed by someone.
- Give a toast when it refers to Jon Snow.
- Whenever Varys mentions he's a eunuch, take a drink.
- Or whenever Littlefinger mentions Varys's testicles and lack thereof.
- Whenever Jorah says Khaleesi, take a drink.
- Whenever Roose or Ramsay Bolton troll someone, take a drink. In fact, take a drink every time you see them or a member of House Bolton (this includes soldiers and Locke).
- Whenever Tywin does something awesome, take a drink. Take two drinks if he's a dick to Tyrion in the same scene.
- Whenever Stannis gives somebody a Death Glare, take a drink.
- Whenever Melisandre says "The night is dark and full of terrors" or mentions the Lord of Light, take a drink. Flaming, if you feel confident enough.
- Whenever the Rains of Castamere is played or sung, take a drink.
- Take three gulps if something terrible happens afterwards.
- For Seasons 2 and 3: Take a drink every time Robb Stark makes a potentially devastating or bad move to his overall character arc. WARNING: This killed him.
- Take a drink everytime Edmure Tully makes a witty remark. Take two drinks if the Blackfish reprimands him immediately afterwards.
- Drink whenever something horrible or heartbreaking happens to Sansa. For extra difficulty, do the same whenever the same happens to Tyrion post Season 2.
- Down a whole jar of 140 proof moonshine if you were under the blissful impression that there were no Evil Overlords in Westeros, just sleazy politicking humans and disorganized monsters, but, bam, the Night's King appears.
- Take a shot when Olenna Tyrell does something awesome. Have another if she insults someone in the process.
- Down the whole bottle at her both awesome and insult-including final scene.
- Every time Ramsay Bolton and Reek engage in No Yay, take a shot.
- For Episode 4x08: Whenever Oberyn shouts "You raped her! You murdered her! You killed her children!", take a shot.
- For book readers, take two shots whenever the show deviates from the books. For better or for worse.
- Have a drink whenever a character dismisses everyone from a room, servants, protection or other nobility, minus the one or two people they want for a heart to heart discussion.
- Take a drink whenever Lord Tyrell gets cut off or otherwise shut up by another character or a new scene.
- If you stick around for behind-the-scenes and interviews, sip every time a cast member mentions what a Nice Guy Jack Gleeson is in real life. Two if their character has never actually had a scene with Joffrey, three if it's a producer, director, Show Runner or staff writer and finish your glass if it's GRRM himself.
- For book readers, take a shot whenever someone becomes a Composite Character.
- Drink every time Tyrion proposes a drinking game.
- Pop the champagne bottle or grab your most expensive scotch for every long-time fan for the revelation of L+R=J.
- Feeling particularly brave? Or just gearing up to Halloween as Tyrion? Down one shot for every death Arya is responsible for, two for the ones she does herself and three if they're on her list. Before playing add all those up, then add yourself to her death count.
- In season 7, take a drink every time a character mentions how obviously in love Jon and Dany are with each other.
When your liver is dead it may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.