We must remember that, no matter how lonely we are, flame wars are impolite and have the potential to cause more alcohol-induced depression than this page.
Everyone has their own opinions, still, so if you think anything below is inappropriate, you can bring it up on the discussions page. Tropes Are Not Bad
, and that's why a lot have manifested here as Fan Fic
Most of all, though, we must remember that this is Just for Fun
open/close all folders
- Whenever someone's eyes are described as "orbs"
- Some form of the verb 'gravitate' is used
- Somebody gains a pet
- Rule 34
- Characters who have never shown an interest in the military join up
- Canon character acts completely OOC for no apparent reason
- Canon character acts completely OOC to enable the central romance
- Arranged marriage
- Aliens Made Them Do It
- Character who has never done X before is immediately amazing at X
- Nonsensical pop culture reference
- Whenever you read something that's been Jossed
- OMG turned into "Oh my [insert deity here]"
- Infringement joke in the disclaimer
- Every "If I owned this, I'd be rich." Or "If I own this I would've change A and made it B."
- The author threatens to up the content rating later
- Every Plot Hole
- Fix Fic that undoes a Tear Jerker and/or Downer Ending
- Broad Strokes are applied
- When an author threatens to hold the story hostage unless the a certain number of reviews are given
- When an author threatens to do something horrible to you or a cute puppy
- When the color of someone's eyes is especially descriptive (e.g. Blue become sapphire)
- Spared by the Adaptation
- Death by Adaptation
- When the series running gag gets used
- The fanfic creates a running gag and uses it to survive
- The author takes time out to rail against "haters"
- Music is suggested for listening to while reading
- A song is plagiarized
- Double if the lyrics are adjusted
- Shameless promotion of another fanfic
- Promotion of recursive fanfiction/fanart/whatever
- Promotion of its own TV Tropes page
- Reminder to like/favorite/voteup/whatever the fic
- Obviously a Self-Insert Fic
- And another if the OC is an avatar for the author to romantically hook up with his/her favorite character
- Interrupted Intimacy
- One of the characters (usually the Cloud Cuckoolander) becomes a stoner in high school
- The OC is written specifically to be one of the existing characters' new best friend
- A character says something like "I know I'm good, but you don't need to call me a god" after their sexual partner yells "oh my god!"
- Or if they actually are a god and acknowledge this, added snark not necessary, but likely
- Characters watch the show they come from
- Characters read fanfiction
- Every trigger warning
- Double shots if one is/some are about alcohol
- Star Wars AU
- Alternate Universe Fic set in World War 2 in which Nazi Germany won the war.
- Whenever a character gets resurrected, either in the fic or after they died in the original work
- And/or if their death in the original is just ignored for the sake of the fic's continuity
- And/or if they miraculously survive something
- Take two when how it was possible is given a Hand Wave or some rambling and nonsensical Techno Babble
- The Scrappy, or another less popular character, gets Killed Off for Real
- Only one character is kidnapped
- Badass Mode: Additional shot per every other character kidnapped or abducted in the same story
- The mention of bashing
- Lemon fics. And in the event that the fic featured aged/matured cartoon characters...
- Men only: Take another shot if the incredibly graphic and detailed descriptions of the female characters' adult anatomy actually gives you a hard on.
- Women only: Similarly, take another shot if you become increasing aroused by the incredibly graphic and detailed descriptions of what is in the male characters' pants.
- Mood Whiplash. Just one if the fic is a one-shot, double if it takes place at the end of the first chapter of an updating story.
- The PJO fanfic is a Chaos or Annabeth Goes to Goode fic
- Event from the work is mentioned/ becomes a Cryptic Background Reference
- Catchphrase or tag line used
- Artistic License invoked
- Character's name spelt wrong
- Unusual/absurd sexual euphemism
- Purple Prose
- Every spelling error
- Grammar - every instance of:
- Gratuitous Foreign Language
- Alternative Character Interpretation
- "this chapter if rated M for sexy times"
- Every lampshade hung
- Everytime a girl joins a harem
- Take an extra shot when those girls incidentally become bisexual
- When the interaction between the series characters is slightly OOC
- When the fanfic takes a jab to a hated work for the author
- The author takes time out to engage in an Author Filibuster
- A canon character's name is spelt multiple different ways
- Editing old chapters
- Removing chapters
- Author Note
- Each non standard section breaker line
- Characters watch existing TV shows or movies
- Character trips on a ridiculously small/hard to trip on object/carpet/self
- A character is able to do something impossible, even though they just failed to do something much easier
- Author takes a break to clarify something
- Author takes a break to rant about their life
- They give far too much info
- You begin to care about a Tara
- The fanfic becomes too angsty/comedic, when the original was the other
- Character bashing
- Every expletive and reference to a person's nether regions in a lemon fic.
- Continuity Nod to the original work.
- Another if there's a continuity nod to the author's other fanfics of the same work, but aren't linked to each other (i.e. they're not sequel stories or anything).
Finish your drink
- Use the bottle to club yourself to death (or get another and down that, too) if it is a Superwholock fic crossed over with something else as well
- Sign up for AA if the fanfic in question is My Immortal
- Take a cab to a brewery and throw yourself into the vats if the character joining the military is an OC pony
- Call for a fresh bottle and a stomach pump if the character who has just joined the military after having no previous interest is described as the most skilled soldier/marine the CO has ever seen
- Drink with the characters: whatever they have, so do you!
- Hit of heroin = vodka gold shots
- Spliff = down half pint of lager
- Celebrity-tory drinks party if the pairing of a Real Person Fic gets together. In Real Life.
- Invite the fic author if it happens the same way they described before trying to obtain their psychic powers through excessive drinking.
- If it turns out any of the abducted characters end up being sent to a secret underground military organization, a child labor factory in a Middle Eastern country, or even an international prostitution ring, finish your entire pack of drinks then seek therapy
- Induce alcohol poisoning orally for fanfics written as part of a trend the entire fandom is currently going through.
- Induce alchohol poisoning through butt-chugging if said trend/phase fanfics focus on a currently popular 'it' slash couple