The first color Mickey Mouse
cartoon, and still one of his most popular of the Classic Disney Shorts
, The Band Concert
is a 1935
cartoon in which Mickey attempts to conduct Gioachino Rossini's William Tell
Overture at a outdoor picnic, but is frequently interrupted by Donald Duck
, who attempts to play "Turkey in the Straw
" with his infinite arsenal of fifes. Hilarity Ensues
The short currently holds #3 on Jerry Beck's "The 50 Greatest Cartoons
" list, the highest ranking Disney short on it.
- Amusing Injuries: Horace Horsecollar hits a colleague instrumentalist with his cymbals and a hammer in an attempt to kill an annoying bee.
- Call Back: The Sega CD and Genesis versions of Mickey Mania has a level based on this cartoon included as a bonus. It is also a side-scrolling projector screen level in Epic Mickey 2.
- House of Mouse in one episode had Mickey briefly don his band concert uniform for a second when he was shifting through his many designs over the years to prove he was really Mickey in that episode.
- When Mickey meets Horace Horsecollar in Epic Mickey, Horace tries to entice Mickey's memory of him with this cartoon among others. (The provided photo had Horace almost out of frame.)
- During the "Disney Castle" level in Kingdom Hearts II, Sora, Donald and Goofy explore King Mickey's courtyard, where many of the shrubs and bushes are sculpted to resemble Horace, Clarabelle and other band members from this cartoon.
- Cartoon Conductor: Mickey's role in this cartoon.
- The Determinator: Mickey and the whole band will finish the song even while getting caught in a tornado.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Near the end the entire orchestra hangs from a large tree, resembling a Christmas tree.
- Do Not Touch the Funnel Cloud: The tornado sucks up things by engulfing them or by aiming the bottom of the funnel like a vacuum cleaner.
- Early-Installment Weirdness: Mostly with Donald's long-billed appearance. Donald also seems to be almost a toned-down Screwy Squirrel here, and is much shorter than Mickey.
- Also Mickey himself. It can be a bit jarring for a viewer used to the mild mannered Only Sane Man character he later became to see him outright lose his temper and break Donald's fifes.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Mickey conducts a music band for an outdoor concert.
- Hammerspace: Donald draws most of his flutes out of nowhere.
- Mickey Mousing: Despite a lot of the music coming from on-screen instruments, there is still a lot of this going on.
- Mime and Music-Only Cartoon: With the exception of Donald, none of the characters in the short have any lines of dialogue.
- Nice Hat: Mickey and several of the band players wear them.
- Running Gag:
- Mickey's sleeves are too long and keep falling over his hands and baton.
- Donald playing Turkey in the Straw on his fifes.
- Serious Business: What started as Donald's quite harmless mocking of Mickey's performance quickly deranged into physical assaults with musical instruments and ice cream.
- Squirrels in My Pants: A scoop of ice cream falls down the back of Mickey's coat, and his wiggling leads the band to segue into The Streets of Cairo.
- The Unintelligible: Donald, as always.
- Visual Pun: Peter Pig, having lost layer after layer of clothing to tree branches, finally falls naked into a barrel (i.e., a pork barrel).
- Walking Out on the Show: Subverted. The audience leaves not because they hate the show, but because they're fleeing from an approaching tornado. When Mickey finishes, the only one left applauding is Donald.