One of the most popular Classic Disney Shorts
, this Mickey Mouse
cartoon from 1937
is centered around Mickey, Donald Duck
, who are running a Ghost Exterminating business as they are tricked into looking around a haunted house by the titular quartet of ghosts, who proceed to unleash their wrath upon our heroes. Unlike previous shorts
themed around spooky stuff, Hilarity Ensues
On a side note, these ghost characters (or at least ghosts similar in appearance) would later make an appearance, not in a Disney cartoon, but in a Walter Lantz
cartoon "A Haunting We Will Go", featuring the Mel Blanc
voiced Lil' Eightball
being tricked into coming into their house. That short was also directed by the same director of this short, Burt Gillet.
Tropes Used By This Short:
- Animation Bump: This is a very lavishly animated short in general, even by Classic Disney Shorts standards. The ghosts in particular have very impressive glow effects, transparency and fading.
- Big Boo's Haunt
- Coincidental Accidental Disguise: Mickey and friends get covered with molasses and flour, making them look like ghosts, which scares away the real ghosts.
- Cross-Dressing Voices: Done in the actual short by one of the ghosts in order to trick Mickey and co. into coming to the house.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Not quite. The ghosts in question aren't so much lonesome as they are just bored that there wasn't anybody around their house to scare.
- Face Fault:
Ghost #1 (in convincing woman voice): Hello? Ajax exterminating company? Do you catch ghosts?
Goofy (chortles on phone, lowers to speak to Mickey and Donald): Do we chase ghosts?
Donald: (quacks in frustration, flying from his chair and landing ass-up on the floor)
- Ghost Butler
- Haunted House: Doy!
- Horrifying the Horror: see Coincidental Accidental Disguise above.
- Mind Screw: The part where Mickey is messing with the door, only for it to peel off the wall, fall on him, and then open up to have the Ghosts marching out of the floor to a classic army tune.
- Mirror Routine: One of the ghosts does this to Goofy.
- Off Model: Pay attention to the door when Mickey and co. enter the house-the doorknob appears on the wrong side when it flips up and returns to its frame! (it was to the left from the outside)
- Scenery Porn: This short has some very lovely backgrounds. Just look at the opening shots!
- Silly Spook: The ghosts only want to scare Mickey and the gang for laughs.
- Too Dumb to Live: Gee Goofy, you didn't get the hint that your reflection was really one of the ghosts sooner?
- Who You Gonna Call?