A very popular 1937
short in the Classic Disney Shorts
lineup, the short is centered on Mickey Mouse
, Donald Duck
as they, well, attempt to clean the giant clock tower, Big Beth
. However, chaos ensues as Mickey attempts to ward off a stork nesting in the tower, Donald wages a frustrating battle with a sentient clock spring, and Goofy gets himself into life threatening situations via his own klutziness and stupidity. Naturally, Hilarity Ensues
This short provides examples of:
- Can't You Read the Sign?: Donald ignores a fairly obvious "Keep off the mainspring" sign, and spends the rest of the short regretting it.
- Circling Birdies: After Goofy is hit on the head.
- Concussions Get You High: Again, after Goofy is hit on the head.
- Construction Zone Calamity: Goofy wanders onto swinging girders after taking the hit to the head.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- Executive Meddling: On account of Donald's mondegreen, that particular line has been edited out of some VHS copies of this short and dubbed over with a line from a different short, and this print even accidentally made its way onto Mickey Mouse In Living Color, Vol. 1 and some other DVDs. Thankfully, the uncut print was included in the Alice in Wonderland DVDs and has also turned up on the Disney Channel's recent broadcasts.
- Pun-Based Title
- Scenery Porn: Some of the backgrounds of the short are nothing short of jaw dropping. Just look at the opening shot!
- Too Dumb to Live: Donald, just watch him happily jump over the main spring despite of all the Danger signs.