Disney: Clock Cleaners
1937 short in the Classic Disney Shorts lineup, the short is centered on Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy as they, well, attempt to clean the giant clock tower, Big Beth. However, chaos ensues as Mickey attempts to ward off a stork nesting in the tower, Donald wages a frustrating battle with a sentient clock spring, and Goofy gets himself into life threatening situations via his own klutziness and stupidity. Naturally, Hilarity Ensues.A very popular
This short provides examples of:
- Alliterative Title: "Clock Cleaners".
- Animate Inanimate Object: Donald talks to the clock spring and it seems to be talking back.
- Can't You Read the Sign?: Donald ignores a fairly obvious "Keep off the mainspring" sign, and spends the rest of the short regretting it.
- Circling Birdies: After Goofy is hit on the head.
- Concussions Get You High: Again, after Goofy is hit on the head.
- Construction Zone Calamity: Goofy wanders onto swinging girders after taking the hit to the head.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Mickey, Donald and Goofy clean a clock tower.
- Executive Meddling: On account of Donald's mondegreen, that particular line has been edited out of some VHS copies of this short and dubbed over with a line from a different short, and this print even accidentally made its way onto Mickey Mouse In Living Color, Vol. 1 and some other DVDs. Thankfully, the uncut print was included in the Alice in Wonderland DVDs and has also turned up on the Disney Channel's recent broadcasts.
- Scenery Porn: Some of the backgrounds of the short are nothing short of jaw dropping. Just look at the opening shot!
- Standard Snippet: After being hit on the head "Song Without Words" by Felix Mendelssohn is heard on the soundtrack.
- Too Dumb to Live:
- Donald, just watch him happily jump over the main spring despite of all the Danger signs.
- Goofy, unaware that the statue isn't a real woman.