Dethroning Moment: Mortal Kombat
"It's official; you suck!"
-One of Shao Kahn's infamous taunts that would be a great Take That
to the writers/devs responsible
may be one of the greatest fighting games, but there are those moments where you may want to perform a FATALITY
on the writers/devs...
Keep in mind:
- Sign your entries
- One moment per game to a troper, if multiple entries are signed to the same troper the more recent one will be cut.
- Moments only, no "just everything he said," or "The entire game" entries.
- No contesting entries. This is subjective, the entry is their opinion.
- No natter. As above, anything contesting an entry will be cut, and anything that's just contributing more can be made its own entry.
- Explain why it's a Dethroning Moment of Suck.
- Please make sure the moment is fictional and is neither an event that occurred in real life nor something gameplay-related. We have a perfectly good Scrappy Mechanic page for the latter.
- No ALLCAPS, no bold, and no italics unless it's the title of a work. We are not yelling the DMoSs out loud.
Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
- WillieManga: Every. Single. Fatality. Because MK vs. DC needs to be cut down to be appropriate for its target audience, none of the fatalities involve excessive gore, decapitations, or mutilations. Worse, the Justice League have no fatalities, and instead have non-lethal "heroic brutalities," such as Flash just delivering a series of quick punches. And then there is the story. For one thing, even though Quan Chi appears in the story mode, he is never playable. For another, it takes Superman and Raiden up until the ending to realize neither of them are working for Dark Kahn, Shao Kahn and Darkseid's fusion. Whoever came up with this, you shouldn't quit your day job.
Mortal Kombat 9
- magnum12: The end of Chapter 15. Cutscene Power to the Max is taken to ridiculously absurd levels when Sindel of all people (normally weak both in game and in universe) effortlessly rofl stomps 10 people at once. Johnny Cage and Sonya get beat up. Cyber Sub-Zero dies from being punched 3 times (despite Cage's blows looking more serious and being protected by armor). Kabal dies from being stabbed in the upper-left pectoral (near the shoulder) by a shoe. Striker is killed by a punch to the jaw. Smoke gets a Groin Attack followed by a neck snap. Jax gets stabbed by a shoe. Jade gets an organ pulled out. Kitana gets her lifeforce drained. Sindel is only killed by Nightwolf blowing himself up. Also gets combined with Idiot Ball as the defenders weren't smart enough to simply wolf-pack her (all 10 attack her at once from all sides) and by not using their powers. All of this is just an excuse to kill off most of the cast for the next game, much like Mega Man Zero 4's plot to Zero. One could compare this to the revelation that it was Dalton that defeated Guardia after the end of Chrono Trigger. Saying that a very large chunk of the fanbase considers this scene to be an outrage is an understatement (a lot of people are angry with it). It also has the effect of causing Sindel to develop a Hatedom.
- PNF: Adding to that, Raiden then goes to the Netherrealm and offers their souls to Quan Chi in exchange for his service is a sickeningly, disgustful and immoral act. With that, Raiden's transformation into the Thunder Idiot God of Blunder was complete.
- Knight9910: Oh good lord, yes! The sad part is that up until that point I actually liked MK 9's version of Raiden. He actually seemed like a good leader and a decent person who was trying to do the right thing but didn't understand how... and then we get to that point... Let's take a look at his offenses here, shall we? He abandons his followers when they need him most so that he can go make his deal, directly resulting in their deaths. He willfully betrays every single person who ever put their faith in him, selling them all out to Quan Chi. He kills Liu Kang, the person who up to that point was the closest thing he had to an actual friend, because Liu Kang didn't like his stupid plan. Granted, it's not exactly a Moral Event Horizon moment because Raiden does feel shame and remorse when he realize what he's done, but it's still a pretty epic Character Derailment, IMHO transforming Raiden from a good person to a complete moron. What the Hell, Hero??
- AnarchyBalsac: Baraka's Arcade Ladder Ending. It's the only ending where Shao Kahn doesn't actually die, but rather, it was Shang Tsung pretending to be Shao Kahn. Worse, the tarkatans, a race of savage JerkAsses are elevated in Kahn's ranks because of this. Sure the Shokans and centaurs aren't much better, but they're not as bad as the tarkatans. It even surpasses Cyber-Sub-zero's Ladder ending in its suckage.
- Grumpy Old Man: Cyber Sub Zero's Ladder Ending. He defeats Shao Kahn, only to somehow get possesed by him. Not only does that make for a bad ending in the first place, but there's no explanation or justification for it, it just happens, because the writers said so? Worse still, it's the only ending without any narration, we just get silent visuals.
- Mighty Kombat: Related to the Big Sindel Massacre in Story mode, how they took Shang Tsung, one of the series' staple villains and literally fed him to Sindel to power her up and justify her slaughter of a shitload of strong Earthrealm fighters. After his decent showing in the MK 1 and 2 chapters were he's able to pull strings in a devious way mid tournament, and convince Shao Kahn of his worth by letting Kitana grass on him about his creating of Mileena, he ends up getting this? One of the series' interesting villains? Just feed him to Sindel to power her up! It doesn't help Sindel's case that some of the Earthrealm fighters she killed were Stryker, who had not too long ago beat Kintaro and Ermac, and Sub-Zero, who literally bested Ermac and more importantly, beat Goro and Kintaro simultaneously. It really stings when combined with the lack of screentime that staple villains like Baraka and Reptile got (the latter doesn't even get any spoken lines!) It also stung how half of Shang's good moments and plans ended up handed over to Quan Chi instead, right up to the Sindel Resurrection Plot in MK 3 no longer being a plan Shao Kahn had at the ready for ten thousand years with Shang Tsung's help, but instead made up on the fly by Quan Chi while Shang Tsung stands there looking stupid (Which incidentally counts as a spit in the face for Kahn fans as well.)
- Tropers/Skullnsouls:This was my moment as well. It happened so fast that I was confused at first then angry. It was a stupid move that helped another stupid move happen. Add on Shang being one of my favorite characters and you've got one of my reasons I will never play story mode again.
- Soran The Man: Taven's ending, aka the ending that was supposed to be kanon ending before MK 9 thankfully undid this piece of krap. Say whatever you want about the story decisions in MK 9, but at least those had konsequences! At least those led to something, both good and bad! But here?! You just went through the entire story mode (wich sucked in almost every way possible!) wondering if Taven was going to be the the doom of all the Kharacters or simply the bane of their powers once he bekame a god, only for him to rekap everything that we already know by this point and then give us the ultimate kicker: nothing happened! The Kombatants didn't die and their powers were not removed. Taven (and the player) did everything for nothing! And it's not even in a dramatik way! It's just like "Oh well. That didn't work. Guess I better find another way". My word...