Darth Wiki: The Caged Phoenix
After a long drawn-out battle with a gigantic evil mind-altering
squid, Olapen plunges
into the depths of despair
- as she confronts her alternate personality
then has a long debate about the philosophies of living for eternity. Much Mind Screw
ensures as they both argue and there's two observers
watching them... It's a WIP (work in progress) and a direct Deconstruction
of my character. I made an Fan Vid
of this series :D It's my first truly psychological horror
series.It deals with the issues of 'social isolation' and the more psychological ramifications of loneliness.
Note: This story takes place
a full three and a half
years after A Rouge's Tale
... But Now I Must Go
Lotus (Part I)
- A Change They Will All Understand: As a rather bizarre scenario: The evil squid itself takes a disturbing form called the 'Contemplator of Eminence' so everyone doesn't think it's a threat- as a green Adorably Precocious Child with giant tentacles and red eyes AND a weird Singing Voice Dissonance. Rayne is not amused as only Rayne and Kratos can see it.
- Alternate Universe: Olapen 'views' her human-self, Ophelia who has brown hair. Understandably, she becomes confused as to the nature of her existence...
- Technical Pacifist: Olapen doesn't like hurting people or their feelings.
- Amnesiacs Are Innocent: Self-explanatory... Then subverted once Odaxitar reawakens.
- Appearance Is in the Eye of the Beholder: All succubi/incubi in my stories have this ability.
- Alice Allusion: Federico wears a Pocket-watch... There's a chess-board and the whole dream is illogical.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Odaxitar's main reason with sticking with blonde Zabrei Tsuruno... Subverted as poor Zabrei has a pathetic love/hate relationship with her after a one-night stand, she soon realises she doesn't feel anything for Alex any-more.
- Anachronism Stew: A lot. For starters, Odaxitar wears sunglasses... in a Medieval Stasis world.
- Later she uses an advanced computer with her back away from Olapen.
- Apologises a Lot: Olapen, to the annoyance of all who 'hear' her...
- Arc Words: "Completely encased. You're caged in." The hypnotic Compelling Voice of the evil squid
- A Threesome is Hot: Uh, no it's not.
- A Tragedy of Impulsiveness: The whole ending is a stalemate and Odaxitar loses their resolve by the end...
- Audience Shift: This is a completely serious story with a jaded outlook.
- Bad Samaritan: What led Olapen into this situation in the first place, following rather bad advice from Necromancer Zorbak (who had some rather valid proof against her before-hand)
- Badass On Paper:
- Better Living Through Evil: Odaxitar's current 'reason for being' (Raison d'être).
- Be Yourself: The ultimate Broken Aesop, but even Olapen was rather troubled with this whole concept.
- Black Bug Room: Odaxitar had 'originated' from there, until the squid let her loose- now Olapen is trapped there.
- Breather Episode: Kratos and Federico's frequent conversations range from the mundane to the weird, reflecting the atmosphere.
- Book Ends: It begins with a simple desire ("I hope...") and by the end of their dream scenario Olapen desires Rayne takes her to whenever her own fate leads her. Reaper Rayne gladly obliges.
- BSOD Song: Prisoner of Love by Utada Hikaru for Olapen, Ash Like Snow for Odaxitar
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: Olapen resorts to use this tactic against Odaxitar, however the sequence doesn't quite work to plan- as Bluefish still wins.
- Book Limbo:
- Burn the Witch!: Subverted, the town people actually try to drown Olapen in the lake, where she met the squid.
- Semen Lust: Olapen gets 'overpowered' by this act, no thanks to bandit Exilnor 'cutting' his arm accidentally, the rest is a nightmare...
- But I Would Really Enjoy It: Olapen admits this several times in a row.
- Broke and Punching the Squid: This is what happened.
- Can't Stay Normal: Olapen flees from her Medieval Stasis life, only to end up in the squid's clutches.
Olapen: (happily) ♪Shalya~♪ and Yatta! "When the sun rises, time to start a new day..."
Odaxitar: This is our punishment, henceforth our failure... followed by Life is suffering and yelling out loud: "Wǒ shǐzhōng kùnrǎozhe bùxìng! Wǒ zài kě pà de bùxìng, bì shàng nǐ de gōngjī?!"note "You were words of Love" to Olapen.
- Chained by Fashion: One way to tell Odaxitar apart from Olapen- she's 'always' wearing silvery chains...
- Chain of Deals: Starts to become like this halfway through.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Odaxitar sports this as part of her own Axe Crazy 'nature'
- Continuity Nod: Several: Odaxitar displays her nanobot powers from Her Unbound Captors, Olapen mentions her first meeting of Alex from A Rouge's Tale and Odaxitar mentions her hatred of Jojo and Pirate May.
- Counterpoint Duet: They engage in this occasionally, hilarious as Olapen is worse at singing.
- Creating Life Is Awesome: Zabrei has the ability to create some very strange entities later...?
- Chess Motifs: Lots. Which quickly becomes very bizarre- as they're making up the rules as they're timing...
- Continuity Reboot: This is a mini-reboot.
- Curse Cut Short: Kratos says this to Federico after 'he' finds out about 'his' ruse.
- Curse Escape Clause: Olapen wants out of this confined place, however Odaxitar doesn't...
- Cannot Dream: Odaxitar cannot even have this ability due to the squid's 'curse'
- Dark Is Not Evil: Just a little misunderstood...
- Dead All Along: One of the more dramatic twists, as Olapen had actually drowned... At least until (best friend) Misako informed her.
- Deconstructed Trope: Shows the downsides of being forever Love Hungry, In Harm's Way and also Chaste Hero.
- Death's Hourglass: Kratos keeps one.
- Dream Walker: Misako.
- Don't call me Olapen: Odaxitar yells this to an intimidated Zabrei, after a few chapters.
- Downer Ending: ... Ambiguous mind-screw- Dream Apocalypse
- Empathic Environment: It's raining half the time, but for Odaxitar it's always winter due to their Sugar and Ice Personality...
- Emphasize Everything: Federico has a tendency to do this to Kratos, which is very funny...
- Environmental Symbolism: Not telling.
- Explaining Your Power to the Enemy: Odaxitar does this to the bandit in a roundabout fashion.
- Exposition Fairy: Federico to Kratos (and Olapen).
- Erotic Dream: Odaxitar has 'delusions' of these sort quite frequently.
- First Love: Olapen openly admits that 'Rogue' Alex was her first love, which is why she's so bitter towards him now.
- Fake Memories: I told you this would be a total screw... Although the Squid did it.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Odaxitar gives 'Bandit Exilnor' some of her immortality... But with a decomposing skeleton-hand, with half his arm soon to follow the same fate.
- Failure Knight: Olapen for varying reasons, she's still very loyal to Alex
- Four Is Death: Federico makes four rotations of their game-board so Kratos cannot gain the upper hand. Also, the squid 'repeats' information four times.
- The Fog of Ages: Olapen has been around for SO long, that this happens to her, excluding The Reset.
- Freak Out: Implied that this was what indirectly happened to Olapen after she finds out this...
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: Eventually almost everyone will in future forget about Olapen's current situation, except for one alien: Misako Irwa. Even Odaxitar refuses to even rectify this dilemma.
- Jekyll & Hyde: Part of the Gender Flip...
- Greek Chorus: Though 'invisible' to the main characters, Federico and Kratos both serve this function, respective to the Theory of Vision
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: This fast exchange:
Odaxitar: If I can't take my own issues out on Alexander himself, closest target might just be you.
Exilnor: Never figured you're so capable of THAT much... Go ahead, use me as your personal chew-toy.
Odaxitar: (slyly grins) As you wish... (literally does so)
- Yet another exchange: Talking about Amándote.
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: Odaxitar to Alexander.
- Ghost in the Machine: Self-explanatory, but there are two of them...
- Glamour Failure / True Sight: Exilnor 'sees' her Game Face... and screams skyward as a result...
- Gory Discretion Shot: See Nightmare-Fuel below.
- Grey Goo: Olapen can never completely perish due to this...
- Living Memory/ Split at Birth: Olapen is considered one for Odaxitar
- Hellish Pupils: Odaxitar also sports this as her niche.
- Let's Get Dangerous: Reawakened Odaxitar to the hired bandit. This doesn't end well- for the bandit that is.
- Love Is A Drug: See below.
- Literary Allusion Title: The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar
- Here We Go Again: Olapen being trice unlucky over and over.
- Corrupted Soul-Gem: Odaxitar's main weakness...? (No Kokoro)
- I Know Your True Name: Zorbak uses this against 'Olapen', forcing her to follow his orders exactly- Then he gave that to the Squid It goes way downhill from here...
- What's her true namenote ?
- Immortality Hurts: Olapen learnt this the rather hard way.
- Internal Reveal: The audience already knows their dilemma, so let's see how it plays out...
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Federico in one of the funnier scenes of the novella, telling this to Kratos now acting as a bartender. It all sounds like random rambling
- Intoxication Ensues: A vital clue. The squid bit Olapen with its beak full of hallucinating toxin- and this itself is making Odaxitar act loopier by the day... which causes insomnia and insanity This is mirrored by Federico asking for more drinks and Kratos complying... As a Running Gag, Olapen through most series is very suggestible using this method.
- Ironic Nursery Rhyme: Death and the Lady and this little ditty...
- Invisible to Normals: Federico and Kratos are unseen... Which serves Federico and Kratos very well.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy Odaxitar's Start of Darkness stems from desire, but naturally Zorbak twisted this.
- Louis Cypher: Very subtle.
- Keeper of Forbidden Knowledge: Lady Odaxitar serves that function.
- Magic from Technology: Odaxitar's Nanotechnology powers is rather indistinguishable from 'magic' to Exilnor, which is rather unfortunate for the suffering Bandit. He calls her a Witch after this event.
- Medical Rape and Impregnate: Jacaranda's darkest secret...
- Memory Gambit: This also comes into play.
- Mental World/Mental Story: Rather scary one at that as Time Stands Still in this novel.
- Meaningful Rename: This significant detail apparently didn't work so well after the Reset...
- Mind Screw: In order to escape a Dream Apocalypse Downer Ending indeed.
- Missing Time:
- Minimalist Cast: The author tries to work with this in mind (to exercise constraint).
- Morality Chain: Alexander
- Musical World Hypotheses: ...
- My Future Self and Me: Part of the Temporal Paradox.
- Nanobot-Enhanced Succubus 'Lightning Magician': Olapen
- Be Careful What You Say: "I want to see Daichii/Diaglo again!" to Zorbak.
- My Nayme Is: Apparently, Olapen sounds WAY better than the name Paloma
- Magic Unicorn: Odaxitar has a familiar called Zaghur... who is an unruly, untameable black Unicorn steed.
- Nightmare Fuel Coloring Book: That's implied.
- Non-human Lover Reveal: Why Olapen can never be with Rogue Alex as 'more than a friend'...
- Nothing Is the Same Anymore: A main theme in the novel.
- Oblivious To His Own Description: Odaxitar describes Exilnor as a pitiful thing that doesn't deserve any mercy, in French. He doesn't seem to realise.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Olapen did this to a bandit called Elixnor, that should have been the first sign that something was wrong
- Offscreen Teleportation: Rayne Daie to everyone's shock.
- Ontological Mystery: The whole novella relies on this aspect.
- Our Homunculi Are Different: Federico and Kratos are 'artificial constructs' respective of their owner's personalities
- Paradox Person: Self-explanatory, but Rayne says that Vixen was the original Paradox.
- Personality Makeover: Emphasised due to Colour Coded Characters AND Limited Wardrobe.
Olapen: Blue/Orange and the opposite colours for Odaxitar.
- Poster-Gallery Bedroom: Olapen's and Odaxitar's rooms are really different...
- Psychological Thriller: Similar to Angel Heart and High Tension...
- Playboy Bunny: Kratos, a male variant... Complete with actual 'bunny ears'.
- Please Don't Leave Me:
- Questionable Consent: Uhhhh...
- Shrodinger's Butterfly:
- Random Number God: The dice- Olapen keeps rolling a 4...
- Rear Window Witness: Reaper Rayne. He saw everything...
- Supernaturally Silver Eyes: Olapen's main trait.
- Silly Rabbit, Idealism Is for Kids!: Odaxitar.
- Shout-Out: The song sums up Olapen's feelings for Alex. Where as this song denotes opposite feeling of Odaxitar.
Odaxitar: I'd rather not 'show' my deck of cards to you. It's-
Olapen: It's the Ace of Hearts?
Odaxitar: ... Correct.
- Sins of Our Fathers: The curse is like this...
- Sliding Scale of Free Will vs. Fate: Type 3 (Fighting fate is HARD!)
- She Is All Grown Up: Odaxitar is implied to be Olapen a few years down the track, but eviller if that's even possible!
- Sympathy for the Devil: Guilt and misunderstanding
- Technobabbling: Odaxitar talks like this some of the time, whereas poor Olapen doesn't understand any of those conventions.
- Teach Her Jealousy: Zorbak made Olapen so angry and rather envious that she inadvertently invokes this... which leads to her downfall at the hands of the townspeople.
- The Chew Toy: Exilnor- literally...
- Clipped Wing Angel: Odaxitar does this to scare Exilnor away, but after doing this, she faints due to exhaustion. Ineffective.
- The Cameo: Shadow-Tamer and Rayne Daie
- The Corruption: Olapen with a hefty dose of the squid's influence
- The Insomniac: Odaxitar.
- Thinks Like a Romance Novel: Olapen, but this soon begins to slide...
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: Happens most of the time.
- The Problem with Fighting Death: The horrific realisation.
- Translation Convention: Odaxitar speaks in a dialect sounding like a demon, which is thankfully translated
- Tomato in the Mirror: Odaxitar was a Dark Action Girl with Fake Memories of being just another 'normal' magician.
- Time Skip: A subtle one at that... Three years...
- The World Is Not Ready: Horny Devils in societies at large would throw world into mass panic, which is why there are so many secrets and they have Humanoid Alien disguises.
- Trippy Dimension: One of the direct problems of a Mental World...
- The Pollyanna: Subverted as usual...
- Twilight Zone Twist: ... not telling
- Unusual Euphemism: Odaxitar is very fond of using those...
- Unhelpful Hallucinations: AKA Federico, Stop Helping Me!
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Symbolic?: Odaxitar 'holds' a pomegranate.
- World of Symbolism: ... Dice are an important motif.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: A rather negative take on this question.
- Who's Laughing Now? or Then Let Me Be Evil: Exilnor is toast by then...
- What the Hell, Townspeople?: The mob indirectly caused Olapen to turn into a succubus.
- Why Don't You Marry It?: Odaxitar says this explicitly about Olapen's 'magic wand'
- Why did it had to be FIRE?!: They're both scared of fire...
- Write What You Know: Somewhat reflects the author's ongoing depression and slow rehabilition, to me depression IS like drowning...
- Coincidentally, even though it's actually separate from my earlier idea, Paranoid Doll is very similar to my novel :( I've been planning The Caged Phoenix for many years since before Paranoid Doll
- You Called Me X, It Must Be Serious: Odaxitar states this about Olapen.
- X Meets Y: Pure Lovecraftian horror meets Shatterday (Twilight Zone)
- You Are Worth Hell: Odaxitar says this repetitively, comparing herself to Timon of Athens
- Your Soul Is Mine: The squid says this.
Zhēngqì Realm (part II)