Darth Wiki: The Caged Phoenix
After a long drawn-out battle with a gigantic evil mind-altering
squid, Olapen plunges
into the depths of despair
- as she confronts her alternate personality
then has a long debate about the philosophies of living for eternity. Much Mind Screw
ensures as they both argue and there's two observers
watching them... It's a WIP (work in progress) and a direct Deconstruction
of my character. I made an Fan Vid
of this series :D It's my first truly psychological horror
series.It deals with the issues of 'social isolation' and the more psychological ramifications of loneliness and more importantly, mental illness. The story was also inspired from when I was watching the movie called Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Note: This story takes place
a full three and a half
years after A Rouge's Tale
... But Now I Must Go
Lotus (Part I)
- A Change They Will All Understand: As a rather bizarre scenario: The evil squid itself takes a disturbing form called the 'Contemplator of Eminence' so everyone doesn't think it's a threat- as a green Adorably Precocious Child with giant tentacles and red eyes AND a weird Singing Voice Dissonance. Rayne is not amused as only Rayne and Kratos can see it.
- Alternate Universe: Olapen 'views' her human-self, Ophelia who has brown hair. Understandably, she becomes confused as to the nature of her existence...
- Amnesia Loop: This keeps happening over a span of five-thousand years
- Technical Pacifist: Olapen doesn't like hurting people or their feelings.
- Alternate Identity Amnesia: Whenever Odaxitar appears, this always happens...
- Appearance Is in the Eye of the Beholder: All succubi/incubi in my stories have this ability.
- Alice Allusion: Federico wears a Pocket-watch... There's a chess-board and the whole dream is illogical.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Odaxitar's main reason with sticking with blonde Zabrei Tsuruno... Subverted as poor Zabrei has a pathetic love/hate relationship with her after a one-night stand, she soon realises she doesn't feel anything for Alex any-more.
- Anachronism Stew: A lot. For starters, Odaxitar wears sunglasses... in a Medieval Stasis world.
- Later she uses an advanced computer with her back away from Olapen.
- Apologises a Lot: Olapen, to the annoyance of all who 'hear' her...
- Arc Words: "Completely encased. You're caged in." The hypnotic Compelling Voice of the evil squid
- A Threesome Is Hot: Uh, no it's not.
- A Tragedy of Impulsiveness: The whole ending is a stalemate and Odaxitar loses their resolve by the end...
- Audience Shift: This is a completely serious story with a jaded outlook.
- Bad Samaritan: What led Olapen into this situation in the first place, following rather bad advice from Necromancer Zorbak (who had some rather valid proof against her before-hand)
- Badass on Paper:
- Better Living Through Evil: Odaxitar's current 'reason for being' (Raison d'être).
- Be Yourself: The ultimate Broken Aesop, but even Olapen was rather troubled with this whole concept.
- Black Bug Room: Odaxitar had 'originated' from there, until the squid let her loose- now Olapen is trapped there.
- Breather Episode: Kratos and Federico's frequent conversations range from the mundane to the weird, reflecting the atmosphere.
- Book Ends: It begins with a simple desire ("I hope...") and by the end of their dream scenario Olapen desires Rayne takes her to whenever her own fate leads her. Reaper Rayne gladly obliges.
- BSOD Song: Prisoner of Love by Utada Hikaru for Olapen, Ash Like Snow for Odaxitar
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: Olapen resorts to use this tactic against Odaxitar, however the sequence doesn't quite work to plan- as Bluefish still wins.
- Book Limbo:
- Burn the Witch!: Subverted, the town people actually try to drown Olapen in the lake, where she met the squid.
- Semen Lust: Olapen gets 'overpowered' by this act, no thanks to bandit Exilnor 'cutting' his arm accidentally, the rest is a nightmare...
- But I Would Really Enjoy It: Olapen admits this several times in a row.
- Broke and Punching the Squid: This is what happened.
- Can't Stay Normal: Olapen flees from her Medieval Stasis life, only to end up in the squid's clutches.
Olapen: (happily) ♪Shalya~♪ and Yatta! "When the sun rises, time to start a new day..."
Odaxitar: This is our punishment, henceforth our failure... followed by Life is suffering and yelling out loud: "Wǒ shǐzhōng kùnrǎozhe bùxìng! Wǒ zài kě pà de bùxìng, bì shàng nǐ de gōngjī?!"note "You were words of Love" to Olapen.
- Chained by Fashion: One way to tell Odaxitar apart from Olapen- she's 'always' wearing silvery chains...
- Chain of Deals: Starts to become like this halfway through.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Odaxitar sports this as part of her own Axe Crazy 'nature'
- Continuity Nod: Several: Odaxitar displays her nanobot powers from Her Unbound Captors, Olapen mentions her first meeting of Alex from A Rouge's Tale and Odaxitar mentions her hatred of Jojo and Pirate May.
- Counterpoint Duet: They engage in this occasionally, hilarious as Olapen is worse at singing.
- Creating Life Is Awesome: Zabrei has the ability to create some very strange entities later...?
- Chess Motifs: Lots. Which quickly becomes very bizarre- as they're making up the rules as they're timing...
- Continuity Reboot: This is a mini-reboot.
- Curse Cut Short: Kratos says this to Federico after 'he' finds out about 'his' ruse.
- Curse Escape Clause: Olapen wants out of this confined place, however Odaxitar doesn't...
- Cannot Dream: Odaxitar cannot even have this ability due to the squid's 'curse'
- Dark Is Not Evil: Just a little misunderstood...
- Dark Magical Girl: Olapen embodies most of this by now.
- Dead All Along: One of the more dramatic twists, as Olapen had actually drowned... At least until (best friend) Misako informed her.
- Deconstructed Trope: Shows the downsides of being forever Love Hungry, In Harm's Way and also Chaste Hero.
- Death's Hourglass: Kratos keeps one.
- Dream Walker: Misako Irwa.
- Don't call me Olapen: Odaxitar yells this to an intimidated Zabrei, after a few chapters.
- Doppelgänger: The Twist Ending.
- Downer Ending: ... Ambiguous mind-screw- Dream Apocalypse
- Empathic Environment: It's raining half the time, but for Odaxitar it's always winter due to their Sugar and Ice Personality...
- Emphasize EVERYTHING: Federico has a tendency to do this to Kratos, which is very funny...
- Environmental Symbolism: Not telling.
- Explaining Your Power to the Enemy: Odaxitar does this to the bandit in a roundabout fashion.
- Exposition Fairy: Federico to Kratos (and Olapen).
- Erotic Dream: Odaxitar has 'delusions' of these sort quite frequently.
- Fallen Hero: Olapen, tragically.
- First Love: Olapen openly admits that 'Rogue' Alex was her
, which is why she's so bitter
towards him now.
- Fake Memories: I told you this would be a total screw... Although the Squid did it.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Odaxitar gives 'Bandit Exilnor' some of her immortality... But with a decomposing skeleton-hand, with half his arm soon to follow the same fate.
- Failure Knight: Olapen for varying reasons, she's still very loyal to Alex
- Four Is Death: Federico makes four rotations of their game-board so Kratos cannot gain the upper hand. Also, the squid 'repeats' information four times.
- The Fog of Ages: Olapen has been around for SO long, that this happens to her, excluding The Reset.
- Freak Out: Implied that this was what indirectly happened to Olapen after she finds out this...
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: Eventually almost everyone will in future forget about Olapen's current situation, except for one alien: Misako Irwa. Even Odaxitar refuses to even rectify this dilemma.
- Jekyll & Hyde: Part of the Gender Flip...
- Greek Chorus: Though 'invisible' to the main characters, Federico and Kratos both serve this function, respective to the Theory of Vision
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: This fast exchange:
Odaxitar: If I can't take my own issues out on Alexander himself, closest target might just be you.
Exilnor: Never figured you're so capable of THAT much... Go ahead, use me as your personal chew-toy.
Odaxitar: (slyly grins) As you wish... (literally does so)
- Yet another exchange: Talking about Amándote.
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: Odaxitar to Alexander.
- Ghost in the Machine: Self-explanatory, but there are two of them...
- Glamour Failure / True Sight: Exilnor 'sees' her Game Face... and screams skyward as a result...
- Gory Discretion Shot: See Nightmare-Fuel below.
- Grey Goo: Olapen can never completely perish due to this...
- Living Memory/ Split at Birth: Olapen is considered one for Odaxitar
- Hellish Pupils: Odaxitar also sports this as her niche.
- Let's Get Dangerous: Reawakened Odaxitar to the hired bandit. This doesn't end well- for the bandit that is.
- Literal Split Personality: Odaxitar, under the control of Cthulhu.
- Love Is A Drug: See below.
- Literary Allusion Title: The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar
- Here We Go Again: Olapen being trice unlucky over and over.
- Corrupted Soul-Gem: Odaxitar's main weakness...? (No Kokoro)
- I Know Your True Name: Zorbak uses this against 'Olapen', forcing her to follow his orders exactly- Then he gave that to the Squid It goes way downhill from here...
- What's her true namenote ?
- Immortality Hurts: Olapen learnt this the rather hard way.
- Internal Reveal: The audience already knows their dilemma, so let's see how it plays out...
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Federico in one of the funnier scenes of the novella, telling this to Kratos now acting as a bartender. It all sounds like random rambling
- Intoxication Ensues: A vital clue. The squid bit Olapen with its beak full of hallucinating toxin- and this itself is making Odaxitar act loopier by the day... which causes insomnia and insanity This is mirrored by Federico asking for more drinks and Kratos complying... As a Running Gag, Olapen through most series is very suggestible using this method.
- Ironic Nursery Rhyme: Death and the Lady and this little ditty...
- Invisible to Normals: Federico and Kratos are unseen... Which serves Federico and Kratos very well.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy Odaxitar's Start of Darkness stems from desire, but naturally Zorbak twisted this.
- Louis Cypher: Very subtle.
- Journey to the Center of the Mind This is considered one for Olapen herself.
- Keeper of Forbidden Knowledge: Lady Odaxitar serves that function.
- Magic from Technology: Odaxitar's Nanotechnology powers is rather indistinguishable from 'magic' to Exilnor, which is rather unfortunate for the suffering Bandit. He calls her a Witch after this event.
- Medical Rape and Impregnate: Jacaranda's darkest secret...
- Memory Gambit: This also comes into play.
- Mental World/Mental Story: Rather scary one at that as Time Stands Still in this novel.
- Meaningful Rename: This significant detail apparently didn't work so well after the Reset...
- Mind Screw: In order to escape a Dream Apocalypse Downer Ending indeed.
- Missing Time:
- Minimalist Cast: The author tries to work with this in mind (to exercise constraint).
- Morality Chain: Alexander
- Musical World Hypotheses: ...
- My Future Self and Me: Part of the Temporal Paradox.
- Nanobot-Enhanced Succubus 'Lightning Magician': Olapen
- Be Careful What You Say: "I want to see Daichii/Diaglo again!" to Zorbak.
- My Nayme Is: Apparently, Olapen sounds WAY better than the name Paloma
- Magic Unicorn: Odaxitar has a familiar called Zaghur... who is an unruly, untameable black Unicorn steed.
- Nightmare Fuel Coloring Book: That's implied.
- Non-human Lover Reveal: Why Olapen can never be with Rogue Alex as 'more than a friend'...
- Nothing Is the Same Anymore: A main theme in the novel.
- Oblivious to His Own Description: Odaxitar describes Exilnor as a pitiful thing that doesn't deserve any mercy, in French. He doesn't seem to realise.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Olapen did this to a bandit called Elixnor, that should have been the first sign that something was wrong
- Offscreen Teleportation: Rayne Daie to everyone's shock.
- Ontological Mystery: The whole novella relies on this aspect.
- Our Homunculi Are Different: Federico and Kratos are 'artificial constructs' respective of their owner's personalities
- Paradox Person: Self-explanatory, but Rayne says that Vixen was the original Paradox.
- Personality Makeover: Emphasised due to Colour Coded Characters AND Limited Wardrobe.
Olapen: Blue/Orange and the opposite colours for Odaxitar.
- Poster-Gallery Bedroom: Olapen's and Odaxitar's rooms are really different...
- Psychological Thriller: Similar to Angel Heart and High Tension...
- Playboy Bunny: Kratos, a male variant... Complete with actual 'bunny ears'.
- Please Don't Leave Me:
- Questionable Consent: Uhhhh...
- Shrodinger's Butterfly:
- Random Number God: The dice- Olapen keeps rolling a 4...
- Rear Window Witness: Reaper Rayne. He saw everything...
- Supernaturally Silver Eyes: Olapen's main trait.
- Silly Rabbit, Idealism Is for Kids!: Odaxitar.
- Shout-Out: The song sums up Olapen's feelings for Alex. Where as this song denotes opposite feeling of Odaxitar.
Odaxitar: I'd rather not 'show' my deck of cards to you. It's-
Olapen: It's the Ace of Hearts?
Odaxitar: ... Correct.
- Sins of Our Fathers: The curse is like this...
- Sliding Scale of Free Will vs. Fate: Type 3 (Fighting fate is HARD!)
- She Is All Grown Up: Odaxitar is implied to be Olapen a few years down the track, but eviller if that's even possible!
- Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl: Misako for reasons unknown
- Sympathy for the Devil: Guilt and misunderstanding
- Technobabbling: Odaxitar talks like this some of the time, whereas poor Olapen doesn't understand any of those conventions.
- Teach Her Jealousy: Zorbak made Olapen so angry and rather envious that she inadvertently invokes this... which leads to her downfall at the hands of the townspeople.
- The Chew Toy: Exilnor- literally...
- Clipped Wing Angel: Odaxitar does this to scare Exilnor away, but after doing this, she faints due to exhaustion. Ineffective.
- The Cameo: Shadow-Tamer and Rayne Daie
- The Corruption: Olapen with a hefty dose of the squid's influence
- The Insomniac: Odaxitar.
- Thinks Like a Romance Novel: Olapen, but this soon begins to slide...
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: Happens most of the time.
- The Problem with Fighting Death: The horrific realisation.
- Translation Convention: Odaxitar speaks in a dialect sounding like a demon, which is thankfully translated
- Tomato in the Mirror: Odaxitar was a Dark Action Girl with Fake Memories of being just another 'normal' magician.
- Time Skip: A subtle one at that... Three years...
- The World Is Not Ready: Horny Devils in societies at large would throw world into mass panic, which is why there are so many secrets and they have Humanoid Alien disguises.
- Trippy Dimension: One of the direct problems of a Mental World...
- The Pollyanna: Subverted as usual...
- Twilight Zone Twist: ... not telling
- Unusual Euphemism: Odaxitar is very fond of using those...
- Unhelpful Hallucinations: AKA Federico, Stop Helping Me!
- World of Symbolism: ... Dice are an important motif.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: A rather negative take on this question.
- Who's Laughing Now? or Then Let Me Be Evil: Exilnor is toast by then...
- What the Hell, Townspeople?: The mob indirectly caused Olapen to turn into a succubus.
- Why Don't You Marry It?: Odaxitar says this explicitly about Olapen's 'magic wand'
- Why did it had to be FIRE?!: They're both scared of fire...
- Write What You Know: Somewhat reflects the author's ongoing depression and slow rehabilition, to me depression IS like drowning...
- Coincidentally, even though it's actually separate from my earlier idea, Paranoid Doll is very similar to my novel :( I've been planning The Caged Phoenix for many years since before Paranoid Doll
- You Called Me X, It Must Be Serious: Odaxitar states this about Olapen.
- X Meets Y: Pure Lovecraftian horror meets Shatterday (Twilight Zone)
- You Are Worth Hell: Odaxitar says this repetitively, comparing herself to Timon of Athens
- Your Soul Is Mine: The squid says this.
Zhēngqì Realm (part II)